• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America's revolution was Britain's Vietnam

I'm not that big on history, but I don't get the connection, Swing. What am I missing?

No.

The British Empire was massively overstretched at the time and they were having a few problems in India at the time as well so had the tough choice of putting extra forces in the US or India and chose India as at the time that was simply where all the money was.
I don't think we could have won the US war of independence as the Empire was built mostly on naval power rather than having a massive army.

There's no way we could have kept 1/3 of the world under our rule once nations like the US decided they'd be better off going it alone.

No. America was part of the British empire and considered as a colony. South Vietnam was not part of an American empire.

Do you agree?

Not even close Swinger

American Colonist didn't even consider themselves as Colonist. They considered themselves as Englishmen

Not even close Swinger

American Colonist didn't even consider themselves as Colonist. They considered themselves as Englishmen

If they were English, they wouldn't have staged a revolution. There's a dividing line somewhere between "English" and "American". We crossed that line. America would've never happened if we didn't.

1. Dense forests that weren't easy to navigate are similar to Vietnam's jungles.

2. Support from foreign governments. We had France, Vietnam had Russia and China.

3. Civilians mixed in with soldiers.

4. The British had to destroy our army to win. We had to destroy Vietnam's army to win.

5. Impossible for the British to stop or supply lines. Vietnam had the Ho Chi Mihn trail that was politically impossible for us to stop.

6. Tiny, new army fighting a world super power.

If they were English, they wouldn't have staged a revolution. There's a dividing line somewhere between "English" and "American". We crossed that line. America would've never happened if we didn't.

1. Dense forests that weren't easy to navigate are similar to Vietnam's jungles.

2. Support from foreign governments. We had France, Vietnam had Russia and China.

3. Civilians mixed in with soldiers.

4. The British had to destroy our army to win. We had to destroy Vietnam's army to win.

5. Impossible for the British to stop or supply lines. Vietnam had the Ho Chi Mihn trail that was politically impossible for us to stop.

6. Tiny, new army fighting a world super power.

If they were English, they wouldn't have staged a revolution.

Swinger, it took 10 years of trying for reconciliation with the Mother country

It wasn't till Jan of 1776(Commonsense) that Americans starting to think different

Where you getting this stuff?(LOL)

Swinger, it took 10 years of trying for reconciliation with the Mother country

It wasn't till Jan of 1776(Commonsense) that Americans starting to think different

Where you getting this stuff?(LOL)

If we still thought we were English, there wouldn't have been a revolution and we'd still be English today.

Kind of obvious.,

If we still thought we were English, there wouldn't have been a revolution and we'd still be English today.

Kind of obvious.,

Swing, It happened by FORCE

Also obvious

Swing, It happened by FORCE

Also obvious

I don't understand what you mean. I'm not sure it matters to the conversation.

1. Britain was a super power back in the 1770s. America was a brand new nation with a fledgling army. This is like Vietnam.

I don't understand what you mean. I'm not sure it matters to the conversation.

1. Britain was a super power back in the 1770s. America was a brand new nation with a fledgling army. This is like Vietnam.

Before that, the circumstances for war to begin with were entirely different deflating your Vietnam comparison in its tracts

1. World super power versus fledgling country

2. Can't tell the combatants from the enemy half the time

3. Rough terrain

4. Vietnam had Russia and China. We had France and Spain.

5. Vietnam was a war of independence from colonialism, so was the American Revolution.

etc

1. World super power versus fledgling country

2. Can't tell the combatants from the enemy half the time

3. Rough terrain

4. Vietnam had Russia and China. We had France and Spain.

5. Vietnam was a war of independence from colonialism, so was the American Revolution.

etc

Again, entirely different circumstances

Vietnam was televised where the American Revolution was not

Too many rules in Vietnam as well

Last edited:
Both were wars against colonization.

Vietnam fought the French then fought America, they wanted the colonials out.

We wanted the colonials out.

That makes the two wars like 80% the same.

I would say WW II was Britain's Viet Nam, Viet Nam was France's Viet Nam, as well as the Soviet Union's Viet Nam; the latter went bankrupt over VN and never recovered.

I would say WW II was Britain's Viet Nam, Viet Nam was France's Viet Nam, as well as the Soviet Union's Viet Nam; the latter went bankrupt over VN and never recovered.

The loss of India was the biggest blow to the British Empire, it provided a huge boost to the wealth of the empire of course at the cost to the Indians

Last edited:
The loss of India was the biggest blow to the British Empire, it provided a huge boost to the wealth of the empire of course at the cost of Indians

Indian troops served the allies well in WW II, and they remained friendly after the war and independence for the most part. General William Slim was probably the best Allied General in the war, using mostly Indian troops, and Indian engineers served with distinction in the invasion of Italy as well, though they get small mention if any at all, since the U.S. press corps just followed American
Generals around and maybe Montgomery.

One of the reasons for the American Revolution was the economic problems of the East India Company beginning around the 1760's or so, and Parliament deciding that the colonies should begin paying a bigger share of their costs at long last, which wasn't popular of course. The 'revolutionaries' weren't popular at first. but the British military almost single-handededly turned that aroundwith its treatment of loyal colonials.

Back
Top Bottom