• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America's Gun Conundrum

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So yesterday I came across a guy I knew in high school who is now a police officer, so naturally me being outspoken I told him what I think of cops. Turns out he's sympathetic to Black Lives Matter and doesn't love police brutality and brought up a good point: What is a cop supposed to do when he makes an arrest or traffic stop and there's no way to know if the person you're coming into contact with has an arm? He pointed out you can't have cops going around unarmed because that means many more cops will be killed. He said the real problem in this country was how many guns are available. I couldn't really argue with him.

Basically, the death of countless millions of young men of color at the hands of the police is just a price we pay so that white Bubbas and Jim Bobs have their security blankets for their fear of all the dark-skinned people living in the country. The only way out of this mess is to start confiscating them. When one kid in the class writes a naughty word on his desk with a sharpie, the whole class has to lose sharpie privileges. There's no way around it.

So yesterday I came across a guy I knew in high school who is now a police officer, so naturally me being outspoken I told him what I think of cops. Turns out he's sympathetic to Black Lives Matter and doesn't love police brutality and brought up a good point: What is a cop supposed to do when he makes an arrest or traffic stop and there's no way to know if the person you're coming into contact with has an arm? He pointed out you can't have cops going around unarmed because that means many more cops will be killed. He said the real problem in this country was how many guns are available. I couldn't really argue with him.

Interesting in that we've added 200 million guns since 1986 and the homicide rate dropped 42%.

Basically, the death of countless millions of young men of color at the hands of the police is just a price we pay so that white Bubbas and Jim Bobs have their security blankets for their fear of all the dark-skinned people living in the country. The only way out of this mess is to start confiscating them.

Well, your 'countless millions' don't actually exist.

According to CDC WISQARS, in 2018 there were 85,075 people injured by legal intervention. 26,852 were non-Hispanic white, leaving 58,493 POC. According to CDC WISQARS, in 2018 there were 311 POC killed by legal intervention. That's a total of 58,804 POC killed or injured by legal intervention. The ration of injured to the total is .9947, signifying that 99.47% of POC survive being injured by legal intervention.

For non-Hispanic whites, those numbers are 307 killed and 26,582 injured for a total of 26,889. That's a white survival rate of 307/26,899, or 98.85%.

WISQARS Fatal Injury Reports

In 2018, the police arrested 3.5 million POC. 311 were killed by legal intervention.

FBI — Table 43

When one kid in the class writes a naughty word on his desk with a sharpie, the whole class has to lose sharpie privileges.

Fortunately, this isn't the way jurisprudence actually works, or the government could simply stop paying attention to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights entirely. Just because a drug dealer keeps drugs in his home doesn't give the police the authority to search any house they wish to without a warrant.

There's no way around it.

Are you going to be stacking up with SWAT to take doors and confiscate guns?

OP... why do you want to further penalize minorities?

Basically, the death of countless millions of young men of color at the hands of the police is just a price we pay so that white Bubbas and Jim Bobs have their security blankets for their fear of all the dark-skinned people living in the country. The only way out of this mess is to start confiscating them. When one kid in the class writes a naughty word on his desk with a sharpie, the whole class has to lose sharpie privileges. There's no way around it.

Your premise that "millions of young black men" are being slayed by law enforcement is unfounded. In 2019, with over 350+ million police interactions, there were less than 15 unarmed black individuals shot and killed by law enforcement.

Right there. You just had to prove how racially motivated your argument is and just how intellectually dishonest you could be, all in one go.

Your premise that "millions of young black men" are being slayed by law enforcement is unfounded. In 2019, with over 350+ million police interactions, there were less than 15 unarmed black individuals shot and killed by law enforcement.

I'm guessing he was going for "dramatic effect"?

what I think of cops.

What do you think of them, exactly? I assume you don't mean anything good by that. It's amazing how blatantly some people, even while talking about bias and bigotry of one group against another, will simultaneously reveal their own bias and bigotry against an entire group based on the actions of a few.

Basically, the death of countless millions of young men of color at the hands of the police

I can't tell if you are deliberately exaggerating to make a point, blatantly lying to push an agenda, or you actually believe that is true, but i really hate the fact that our cities are on fire and crime and murder rates in poor communities will probably skyrocket again because some people actually believe this garbage.

Here are the actual facts: Police in the US kill about 1000 people each year. A little more than a quarter of those are black. Only about 10% of those are unarmed, and practically all of those were resisting arrest and at least reasonably perceived by the police as a serious threat at the time they were killed. George Floyds and Tamir Rices are tragic, and we should work to stop that kind of thing from happening, but they are extremely rare. Cops are people, and therefore some are bad people, some are just plain incompetent, and some just make mistakes in tense situations they are not properly trained to handle.

After the riots in 2014/2015, the killing of unarmed people (including black people) by police went down significantly and has basically stayed down. But for every 1 person by which that has decreased, murders have gone up by about 20 people (even though the murder rate had been decreasing gradually for more than 20 years until then).

This kind of false narrative is actually getting people killed, including a significant number of good cops being murdered and hundreds of additional innocent black people who are murdered every year because the police are pulling back in their communities.

So please do us all a favor: KNOCK IT THE F OFF. You're not helping anyone.

Last edited:
interesting in that we've added 200 million guns since 1986 and the homicide rate dropped 42%.

damm thats good

yes but gun owners have been targeted unfairly by police too

the problem is NOT guns, the problem I think, is in police mentality but ill get more into that if you want

also

"I'm for liberty and against "liberteh!1"."

I absolutely love this,liberty is the right to self-govern not haze zero regard to you or others and claim it's freedom

Interesting in that we've added 200 million guns since 1986 and the homicide rate dropped 42%.

Well, your 'countless millions' don't actually exist.

According to CDC WISQARS, in 2018 there were 85,075 people injured by legal intervention. 26,852 were non-Hispanic white, leaving 58,493 POC. According to CDC WISQARS, in 2018 there were 311 POC killed by legal intervention. That's a total of 58,804 POC killed or injured by legal intervention. The ration of injured to the total is .9947, signifying that 99.47% of POC survive being injured by legal intervention.

For non-Hispanic whites, those numbers are 307 killed and 26,582 injured for a total of 26,889. That's a white survival rate of 307/26,899, or 98.85%.

WISQARS Fatal Injury Reports

In 2018, the police arrested 3.5 million POC. 311 were killed by legal intervention.

FBI — Table 43

Fortunately, this isn't the way jurisprudence actually works, or the government could simply stop paying attention to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights entirely. Just because a drug dealer keeps drugs in his home doesn't give the police the authority to search any house they wish to without a warrant.

Are you going to be stacking up with SWAT to take doors and confiscate guns?

Glad you looked that up since it sounded way off "countless millions". As a side note: I hope he does stack up with SWAT to be the first in. Kinda like the miners using canary's to alert them to gas.

It worked. It dramatically made him out to be a ninny.

And a fool to believe such nonsense and to hate cops. I think COP haters have daddy issues, or did not know who their father was.

Sounds like the OP has been brainwashed.

when you post absolute Bull that is beyond a moronic lie, but pure unadulterated mendacious propaganda, how can anyone take ANYTHING you say seriously?

The police have killed "countless millions" of colored people in this country? Please cite your source for that statistic.

When you blatantly over exaggerate you destroy what ever credibility you think your side has. Countless millions of young men of color are not killed at the hands of police.

when you post absolute Bull that is beyond a moronic lie, but pure unadulterated mendacious propaganda, how can anyone take ANYTHING you say seriously?

Probably the same people who will tell you that scary semiautomatic firearms are weapons of war.

Most guns of any first world country

Most gun deaths of any first world country

Nah....it must be a coincidence

Most guns of any first world country

Most gun deaths of any first world country

Nah....it must be a coincidence

We also have more homicides without the use of a gun than any other first world country. The only thing a gun ban would do is increase the amount of homicides without the use of a gun.The only thing the UK and Australia's gun ban do was change from people getting murdered with guns to people getting murdered with all sorts of other weapons. the amount of homicides those countries had barely changed. So this idea that our homicides would drastically drop with a gun ban is just hogwash by anti-2nd amendment trash.

Feel free to provide citation for this claim.

Never going to happen. Notice how he/she dropped that millions crap and left? All it takes is one or two gullible people somewhere to read it and pass the word and fan the flames.

He must have believed JOE/BLOW -since the leader of that ticket said 150 million people have died due to gun violence in the last few years

The OP PROBABLY doesn’t recognize just how ****ing stupid he sounds trying to equate the 120-140 MILLION law abiding gun owners of all races with the violent pieces of **** of all races that ends up fighting with cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP PROBABLY doesn’t recognize just how ****ing stupid he sounds trying to equate the 120-140 MILLION law abiding gun owners of all races with the violent pieces of **** of all races that ends up fighting with cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was just one of those punch and run threads. Surprised he also didn't claim to be from a organization needing you SSN to verify funds you've won.

My current gun conundrum is seeing people wear masks with gun holsters on them to protect from Coronavirus. (The mask, not the gun)
The holster points the barrel directly into their ****ing neck.

On the one hand, a general ability to care about my fellow man makes me want to say something. On the other hand, this is ultimately a problem that can sort itself out.

My current gun conundrum is seeing people wear masks with gun holsters on them to protect from Coronavirus. (The mask, not the gun)
The holster points the barrel directly into their ****ing neck.

On the one hand, a general ability to care about my fellow man makes me want to say something. On the other hand, this is ultimately a problem that can sort itself out.

what sort of holster is that? I have yet to see something like that

Back
Top Bottom