• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America's Drug Problem

With the recent legalization of marijuana for personal use in Colorado, and the continued debate as to whether or not we should simply legalize all drugs I've decided to rant a little bit about drugs in America.

I am going to be including alcohol as a drug in this discussion because of it's affect on people's physiology and it's affects on society.

America has a drug problem. But the drugs aren't necessarily the problem. They are the attempt at solving what I feel the underlying problem is, and that is the constant pursuit of pleasure. Somewhere along the line, perhaps with the line "pursuit of happiness" Americans have a belief that life is meaningless without achieving pleasure. And maybe this extends into other societies as well. The pursuit of pleasure has led us to prioritize pleasure as the most important thing to us. If one is not happy, then something is wrong and/or missing in life. If one has pain, then something is wrong with the body. So we seek solutions to alleviate the unhappiness and/or pain. Somewhere along the lines, in both society and the medical field we've quit addressing the deficiencies that are the root cause of our pain or unhappiness, and we have masked them with drugs.

Now I am not a naturalist. I don't believe rubbing yellow dandelion root on your genital herpes will make them go away. Drugs can and do serve a critical role in aiding recovery, allowing us to perform dangerous surgeries, keep people alive in traumatic situations, etc.... However, it's the dependency on drugs where we fail. Smoking pot, drinking alcohol, or doing any recreational drug does not serve any other purpose than pleasure, or masking pain. Neither of them actually fix anything. Much like our pharmaceutical drugs may alleviate symptoms, they rarely fix the root problem. The root problem for America, IMO, is the pursuit of pleasure. And when that fails; when we are sad, angry, scared, lonely etc.... we turn to drugs. So pleasure is attained, but the root problem isn't fixed. Then we see beer commercials with beautiful women and average guys having a great time, subliminally telling us that drinking beer will make us happy. And perhaps it does, for a time. Marijuana proponents claim all sorts of wonderous reliefs from ailments. But while it may mask the symptoms, marijuana cures nothing. Legalizing marijuana will not solve any real problems, except a few beat officers won't have to bring in some kid with an ounce on him. It won't balance any budgets. What drug that is currently taxed and regulated has ever balanced a budget?

Until we get to the point that drugs are looked at as an adjunct to rehabilitation, rather than a solution for our deficiencies in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, we will likely continued to be a nation of people seeking the easy way out of everything uncomfortable in life. What little character we have left as a nation will go up in smoke.

I think you're largely right about why people use drugs in the first place: to cover up pain without fixing the actual issue.

However, you've drastically underestimated how much damage the war on drugs is doing to our society.

Drugs should be completely legal for those who choose to use it. However, we should encourage them to get the psychological and medical support they need to help fight their problem, instead of forcing them into dark alleys and funding thugs.

I view recreational drug use, such as drinking beer or passing a joint around the group while watching a sporting event, is far more relaxing and entertaining (and far less expensive) than going to the game. While addiction and drug abuse is certainly a problem, occasional use of recreational drugs is a cheap way to socialize, reduce inhibitions and relax a bit. Should the recreational drug be necessary for that, perhaps not but, that does tend to enhance the experience of all concerned.

This is not new to mankind as beer and other recreational drugs have been used for all of recorded history. Some of the harder drugs make socializing all but unnecessary (or impossible) and thus do not fit my desired lifestyle. Trying to eradicate the recreational drug supply is impossible, so long as a demand persists. The war on drugs can only be "won" by removing demand, hopefully through education and treatment for the drug abusers, but not messing with those that remain responsible drug users.

Emphasis on not driving under the influence and using any recreational drug only in moderation should suffice. Making/keeping anything illegal, as we saw with alcohol, only makes its supply and distribution into a profitable criminal enterprise, while limiting the gov't's ability to control quality, control sales to minors and to impose taxation.

Pink Floyd has addressed this issue,

[video=youtube;y7EpSirtf_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EpSirtf_E[/video]

Back
Top Bottom