• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America's Corporate Taxes are SO HIGH that... [W:49]

"Made in the USA" is becoming much more popular nowadays. In fact it is a selling tactic.

It is for some that can afford to do so and will limit their choices to those available...

In all truth I just wish corporate entities would act with a little more enlghtened self-interest. Especially if they are incorporated here in America.

By that I mean I have no problem with the profit motive, but it seems self-defeating to me to cut-back on home-grown workers and industrial options here, in favor of shifting industry and hiring workers overseas. I know in the short-term this increases over-all profitability, but eventually, as jobs in the USA shrink while our population continues to increase, there won't be enough actual income to hold up the US market economy.
I'd be all in favor of tax breaks in exchange for re-industrializing America, and increasing blue-collar as well as white collar job opportunities.

In theory there's no reason why a multi-national corporation should favor one market over another.:peace

when I see virulent rants about the successful I wonder who you are really blaming for your lot in life

Hey look kids, Turtle is still fixated on me. Can't blame him.

Please, provide me with a list of every corporation whose production and employment is completely American and I will BUY from them. Of course I am not going to travel half way around the USA to get each item I need on a frequent basis. I bought into that Buy American ideal too. But when most corporations claim to be American because they might have some Koreans or Chinese assembling products in the USA using parts from India and Indonesia....what ya gonna do?

Why would I provide you a list of anything when you're missing the basic point? We, as a nation, want what we want at the lowest price possible, and we want it now. This mentality has encouraged companies to outsource to fulfill that demand...

How racist? Plenty of white welfare queens. Go ahead and pigeonhole the issue though. You're good at that.

Let's play pretend that there isn't 200 years of racist stereotypes about lazy black women having lots of kids.

Let's pretend.

horses are a race? far left meme-finding racism when no exists in order to stifle comments the left has a hard time rebutting

A pitiful response, but least you're consistent.

Bingo. Globalization benefits downscale consumers most.:mrgreen:
Good evening, AP.:2wave:

Good evening 2m. The board is a bit more lively than I had expected tonight...

In all truth I just wish corporate entities would act with a little more enlghtened self-interest. Especially if they are incorporated here in America.

By that I mean I have no problem with the profit motive, but it seems self-defeating to me to cut-back on home-grown workers and industrial options here, in favor of shifting industry and hiring workers overseas. I know in the short-term this increases over-all profitability, but eventually, as jobs in the USA shrink while our population continues to increase, there won't be enough actual income to hold up the US market economy.

I'd be all in favor of tax breaks in exchange for re-industrializing America, and increasing blue-collar as well as white collar job opportunities.

C-corps are doing quite well in the US. The top bracket keeps forming them (as opposed to pass-throughs) and they keep making tons of money.

They obviously think the benefits of C-corp election outweighs the tax burden. If they didn't, they use LLCs or other pass-throughs. Nobody force anybody to take the C-corp election.

So the only people who are worried about C-corps are the strange theorists at the Cato institute and other generators of bad economic data.

In theory there's no reason why a multi-national corporation should favor one market over another.:peace

In theory...but in reality stop claiming to be American, then charging us the highest prices in the world because we've been taught by their advertisors "credit is good," and to slavishly spend more than we earn. No jobs, and those who are working spending more than they have....meanwhile government is using what taxes it gets on social programs while the debt ceiling keeps climbing and the GNP is decreasing....Collapse is on the way.

Then these "American" corporations will just move headquarters to Shanghai or Sao Paulo and keep on profiting.

So what? My family put 8 kids through Yale and they formed an Alumni association, too!

Hell, my ancestors FOUNDED Yale! :)

are you upset? several people know i am truthful about this

do you feel a need to lie because you don't like what I said?

Why would I provide you a list of anything when you're missing the basic point? We, as a nation, want what we want at the lowest price possible, and we want it now. This mentality has encouraged companies to outsource to fulfill that demand...

Yeah? Strangely it seems the "lowest price possible" for consumer goods in the USA is often higher than the high price for similar products in most other countries around the world.

Bingo. Globalization benefits downscale consumers most.:mrgreen:
Good evening, AP.:2wave:

Nope. It benefits people with capital since our treaties globalized capital but not worker protection. The result is the rich the US and the sweatshop nations get richer, while the bottom quintile suffers with lower income. Study after study shows this, so denying it makes you look more than usually ill-informed.

The problem with comparative advantage is that it works in the aggregate - both nations benefit. But the benefits and burdens are unequally allocated among income brackets. Which is why we need to ameliorate that windfall for the rich and the burdens on workers by a more progressive income tax and a huge investment in worker education (among other things)

In short your post is pure hokum.

So what? My family put 8 kids through Yale and they formed an Alumni association, too!

Hell, my ancestors FOUNDED Yale! :)

WAIT!!! Are YOU in the top 1% too?????? Cuz my student loans are still up for grabs....feel free either one of you to take em off my hands. LOL :) :)

In theory...but in reality stop claiming to be American, then charging us the highest prices in the world because we've been taught by their advertisors "credit is good," and to slavishly spend more than we earn. No jobs, and those who are working spending more than they have....meanwhile government is using what taxes it gets on social programs while the debt ceiling keeps climbing and the GNP is decreasing....Collapse is on the way.

Then these "American" corporations will just move headquarters to Shanghai or Sao Paulo and keep on profiting.

GNP decreasing? Highest prices in the world? No jobs? (Unemployment in North Dakota is only 3%, and McDonald's servers earn $20/hour when they can be found.) I understand your concern, but your post is factually challenged.:roll:

Yeah? Strangely it seems the "lowest price possible" for consumer goods in the USA is often higher than the high price for similar products in most other countries around the world.

Are you purposely being obtuse and avoiding the discussion of why companies have outsourced?

Nope. It benefits people with capital since our treaties globalized capital but not worker protection. The result is the rich the US and the sweatshop nations get richer, while the bottom quintile suffers with lower income. Study after study shows this, so denying it makes you look more than usually ill-informed.

The problem with comparative advantage is that it works in the aggregate - both nations benefit. But the benefits and burdens are unequally allocated among income brackets. Which is why we need to ameliorate that windfall for the rich and the burdens on workers by a more progressive income tax and a huge investment in worker education (among other things)

In short your post is pure hokum.

Blabbety-blabbety-blah. Downscale consumers benefit most from highly globalized retailers like Wal-Mart. My post did not address either capital or worker protection. Stick to the topic.:roll:

Blabbety-blabbety-blah. Downscale consumers benefit most from highly globalized retailers like Wal-Mart. My post did not address either capital or worker protection. Stick to the topic.:roll:

Feeding trolls is frowned upon...

GNP decreasing? Highest prices in the world? No jobs? (Unemployment in North Dakota is only 3%, and McDonald's servers earn $20/hour when they can be found.) I understand your concern, but your post is factually challenged.:roll:

What? McDonalds servers earn $20 and hour? In North Dakota? I've lived in ND, small wonder no one wants to move there. Sure there's a new OIL industry, but other than that it's a lotta flat nowhere that freezes in the (loong) winter and is tolerable in the summer. :)

And citing ONE state with an oil boom economy ignores almost all the others with the opposite situation. Michigan, Illnois, Ohio...etc.

What? McDonalds servers earn $20 and hour? In North Dakota? I've lived in ND, small wonder no one wants to move there. Sure there's a new OIL industry, but other than that it's a lotta flat nowhere that freezes in the (loong) winter and is tolerable in the summer. :)

And citing ONE state with an oil boom economy ignores almost all the others with the opposite situation. Michigan, Illnois, Ohio...etc.

The same principle applies to the nation as a whole...

The point was simply to note that anyone who really wants a job in the US only has to move to ND. There is job growth elsewhere as well, but ND is such a fine example I couldn't resist. Your errors re GNP and prices remain uncorrected as well.:cool:

Are you purposely being obtuse and avoiding the discussion of why companies have outsourced?

No, companies have outsourced because labor is extremely cheap overseas in countries with large populations full of desperate people. They are willing to work for pennies on the dollars an American would expect to be paid. Corporations also don't like dealing with environmental regulations, which are almost non-exitent in China, India and Indonesia. Corporations don't like Unions and their demands for "benefits" and "living wages," there are no unions overseas. And corporations don't like taxes. In short (and understandably) they don't like anything that cuts into profits, pisses off shareholders and might reduce the salaries of upper management.

I could go on but hopefully you already KNOW many of the other advantages.

Moderator's Warning:
Personal attacks, take them downstairs, or else.

No, companies have outsourced because labor is extremely cheap overseas in countries with large populations full of desperate people. They are willing to work for pennies on the dollars an American would expect to be paid. Corporations also don't like dealing with environmental regulations, which are almost non-exitent in China, India and Indonesia. Corporations don't like Unions and their demands for "benefits" and "living wages," there are no unions overseas. And corporations don't like taxes. In short (and understandably) they don't like anything that cuts into profits, pisses off shareholders and might reduce the salaries of upper management.

I could go on but hopefully you already KNOW many of the other advantages.

Companies seek to serve a demand, and the largest demand comes from the US. You can keep trying to blame corporations, but until you realize that they only serve existing demand it will be a false argument. If US citizens really wanted US jobs, they would insist that the products they purchase be made in the US. Until that occurs, all the whining about outsourcing is moot...

Back
Top Bottom