• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

America's Christian conservatives are not much different than Islamist fundamentalism

Are there any differences between the christian right and islamic radicals?

• Total voters
Re: America's Christian conservatives are not much different than Islamist fundamenta

Christians had quite a head start, but they didn't have the weapons Muslims have now, so they can easily catch up in a relatively short period of time. Both Christian & Muslim extremists are whackjobs and I wouldn't say one is better than the other because they have killed quite as many people. Both are awful and an embarassment that they exist in this century.
Christian & Muslim extremists are an abomination to their very own religion and have no place of existence in this world.

Re: America's Christian conservatives are not much different than Islamist fundamenta

Why do you all sound (to me) as if its a big issue for the United States? CNN, ABC, and FOX must all be reporting about deaths caused by Christian Extremist every day. I haven't even heard of the word "Christian Extremist" on TV. When was the last time you seen on the news that someone murdered someone because of their Christian religion?

So, how many of you actually think 9/11 was caused by the government? :rofl

retards these days...

FYI: I got relatives that live in Lebanon

The Muslims have Hezbollah , while the Christians have?

Can't you fill in the blank on what Christians have?

There are several extremist Christian groups. Minor ones here in the US. And of course the larger Aryan Nation has it own church and clergy for one. in Spain Muslims have been getting beat up and worse by a group calling itself "Guerrilleros de Cristo Rey". There are fanatics in all religions. it ONE. Christians have been relatively quiet compared to Muslims and TWO we tend to ignore or reclassify Christian religious wackos as other things. I am sure the more Muslims raise the stakes the more you'll see reactions from extremist Christian groups.

There are cases of Muslim being beat up and even shot here in the US by these groups. There is no danger in America to Christians from local Muslims however. At least i have not heard of any. As good Christians we need to guard against fanatics within our own religion. The Muslims must do the same.

There are several extremist Christian groups. Minor ones here in the US. And of course the larger Aryan Nation has it own church and clergy for one. in Spain Muslims have been getting beat up and worse by a group calling itself "Guerrilleros de Cristo Rey". There are fanatics in all religions. it ONE. Christians have been relatively quiet compared to Muslims and TWO we tend to ignore or reclassify Christian religious wackos as other things. I am sure the more Muslims raise the stakes the more you'll see reactions from extremist Christian groups.

There are cases of Muslim being beat up and even shot here in the US by these groups. There is no danger in America to Christians from local Muslims however. At least i have not heard of any. As good Christians we need to guard against fanatics within our own religion. The Muslims must do the same.

I think that
Non-Muslims get killed all the time by Muslims while in Iran. Muslims that come to the U.S. do not have the same risk getting killed.

I think that
Non-Muslims get killed all the time by Muslims while in Iran. Muslims that come to the U.S. do not have the same risk getting killed.

Do you mean Iraq? There is no record that i know of of Christians being killed in Iran. They seem to like poisoning Muslims who disagree publicly (in a small number) with the Mullahs. I haven't heard of many Christians being killed either in Iraq or Iran. The Assyrians are not in danger from the Muslim fanatics in the ME that i can see.

In any event to ignore these fanatic groups i America would be folly and I'll bet the government is still keeping them under observation as they did in the 80's and the 90's. Violence gives no warning and could breakout at anytime in a larger fashion.

The purpose of this thread seems to be an attempt to place the exceptions in the Christian world that would form cults and mostly do harm on themselves in the same category as the overwhelming Radical muslim world and their celebrations of their terrorists deeds on the international stage. This is desperation and smacks of terrorist support.

It is true that fundamental religion in the hands of violent men will and have caused horrible destruction and mass death in this world. It is also true that all major religions have had their dark ages. But what is not true is the commonality in reality today between these religions. What is also a point of interest is how our civilizations embrace and do not embrace their "holy warriors." Americans do not approve of Christian fanatics that would kill in the name of God and Christians destroyed the perversions of the Ku Klux Klan. In the Islamic world, the "martyr" is celebrated and encouraged.

But let's consider the Chancelor in Germany, which is the source of this thread. Berlin's history to purge humanity of Jews and to persecute their faith is well known and is a source of deep shame amongst Germans. Ahmenadejad, in Iran, has declared his hatred for Jews in Isreal and has remarked on the eventual destruction of Israel. Of all the countries in the world to write a Letter of companionship to, Ahmenadejad chose the Chancelor in Berlin. I think Merkel should worry more about what Berlin looks like to our enemies than some stupid insignificant remarks made by Bush. Germany's love affair for dictators is historical and our enemies know it.

The Global Left would have us believe that Islamic terrorism and the brutalities placed upon their own people by religious zealots have been trumped and exhonertaed because Bush believes in God. And that because America has individuals (who remian moslty harmless) that are fanatics, that we have no credibility to point out a civilization that breeds terrorists thaty would drop airplanes out of the sky and slaughter civilians in countless differnet nations. Well, last I checked, none of my Marines shouted out cries to God as they pulled their triggers or chanted scripture before a beheading. And no Christian organization in recent history has traveled across borders to slaughter another people in the name of "God" and no Protestant organization set out to slaughter Catholics in our own society.

But hey, we have Timothy McVeigh. How dare us defend ourselves against Al-Queda and the civilization that celebrates their "victories" against the "Great Satan."

Last edited:

No one can deney that religions and/or groups without religion have been guilty of inhumane crimes in the name of their cause. That, however, should not be part of a modern world.

Ask yourself and answer honestly, WHO in todays world is still living in the stone age when it comes to religion? Who is ACTUALLY, killing & mutilating the dead bodies of those that don't agree with their religion? What religion is still acting like they are in the stone age and which one does not behead those who are not attending church but still getting along in a civilized world?

Give me a break. Any one that tries to compare Christian conservatives with Islamist fundamentalists is to be blunt, an idiot.

Couldn't agree more with the last 2 posts.

I think the polls show that about 30 percent of the people on this forum are idiots. I strongly believe that most of those idiots have liberal beliefs. I think that most liberals do not like America or religions in America, promote irrational political correctness, and favor feminist ideas.

How could one say that conservative Christians (not extremist -- not the kkk) are worse than Islamic fundamentalist that caused 9/11, that are racist, sexist, hateful towards other religious sects, brainwashed since birth, with most knowing how to operate AK47's.

How many Christians you know have even SEEN an AK47 in real life? How about a grenade?

How about you go to any regular church and ask the priest if he or she is with the KKK, especially if the priest has dark skin, since everyone knows the KKK is racist, Christians in general are not. Then ask the priest if he or she wants to hurt other people.

Now ask yourself, how knowledgeable are you about the Middle Eastern world? Perhaps you have been brainwashed yourself?

I think its clear that since the topic of this thread is "America's Christian conservatives are..." instead of "America's Christians are..." that this thread was made by a liberal.

Last edited:

No one can deney that religions and/or groups without religion have been guilty of inhumane crimes in the name of their cause. That, however, should not be part of a modern world.

Ask yourself and answer honestly, WHO in todays world is still living in the stone age when it comes to religion? Who is ACTUALLY, killing & mutilating the dead bodies of those that don't agree with their religion? What religion is still acting like they are in the stone age and which one does not behead those who are not attending church but still getting along in a civilized world?

Give me a break. Any one that tries to compare Christian conservatives with Islamic fundamentalists is to be blunt, an idiot.
Many of these fringe groups are NOT Christian conservatives they are Christian fundamentalists and that's different. Not long ago one of the members of a fundamentalist cult in Peoria IL went on a rampage and killed several people in Illinois and Indiana. Anyone who says these people don't exist in America is deluding himself. They are here and they mean harm to those who oppose them. To say there are none is like a white man saying there is no such thing as discrimination against nonwhites, and you know that there are more than a few who express that idea.

This is not a liberal-conservative thing. It's about religious fundamentalism. If you want it to be liberal conservative it's apples and kiwis.

America's Christian fundamentalist are far and few. In places in the Middle East, there are entire towns or blocks with lots of Islamic fundamentalist. I find it hard to believe that over 30% of the people that voted believe that Islamic fundamentalist are the same to American Christian conservatives.

America's Christian fundamentalist are far and few. In places in the Middle East, there are entire towns or blocks with lots of Islamic fundamentalist. I find it hard to believe that over 30% of the people that voted believe that Islamic fundamentalist are the same to American Christian conservatives. (if you check the poll results, most that voted yes are liberals)

But Muslim fundamentalists are NOT close to Christian conservatives who in turn are NOT close to Christian fundamentalists. Would you call the Aryan Nation conservative or fundamentalist? You are placing two terms that have nothing to do with each other. We speak of conservatives not fundamentalists in politics. Fundamentalist is an unrelated term. If you don't believe we have Christian fundamentalists in the US you have you head in the sand or you live in Los Angeles.

Another thing to consider world wide. This year is 1427 in the Musilim calendar. Now where was the christian world 1400 years after the advent of Christianity? Surprising? I don't think so. It seems it has taken the muslims just about as long to reach their Dark Ages as it took us.

About 700 years after the beginnings of the Muslim religion it began to sink into a decadent period. That is just about the same amount of time between the founding of Christianity and the West's entrance into the Dark Ages.

Both groups are fanatical fundamentalists looking to install a religious theocracy in their home countries.

Just to clarify my position a bit more:
I consider Billy Graham a Christian conservative. On the other hand Fred Phelps is a Christian Fundamentalist. The two are as different as day and night.

Both groups are fanatical fundamentalists looking to install a religious theocracy in their home countries.

But today only one still uses wholesale violence to spread its doctrine.
While the Christian church of the past used violence to spread its beliefs they have for the most part have left it in the past.

Islam today is heaving with violence.

While the Christian church of the past used violence to spread its beliefs they have for the most part have left it in the past.

I still beñlieve this is due mainly to what I mentioned in my post above about the Dark Ages.

Even in Busddhism. The japanese started having religious wars about 800 years after Buddism came into Japan.

Just to clarify my position a bit more:
I consider Billy Graham a Christian conservative. On the other hand Fred Phelps is a Christian Fundamentalist. The two are as different as day and night.
Theres a difference between being a christian, and being a christian fundamentalist. Fundamentalists want you, and try to make you think like they do.

Sure theres violence coming from Islam...
But theres also lies and a brainswashing muniplutation sheme coming from a lot of different Christian groups...particuallarly Evangelicals and any other heavily "born again" denomination.

Sure theres violence coming from Islam...
But theres also lies and a brainswashing muniplutation sheme coming from a lot of different Christian groups...particuallarly Evangelicals and any other heavily "born again" denomination.

True we do have some idiots but ask yourself when the last time you saw a Christian group call for an entire country and its people to be destroyed?

Also when these idiots do push their BS too far we as a people stand against them in PUBLIC. You wont see that in the Middle East...:doh

I still beñlieve this is due mainly to what I mentioned in my post above about the Dark Ages.

Even in Busddhism. The japanese started having religious wars about 800 years after Buddism came into Japan.

good point...

America's Christian fundamentalist are far and few. In places in the Middle East, there are entire towns or blocks with lots of Islamic fundamentalist. I find it hard to believe that over 30% of the people that voted believe that Islamic fundamentalist are the same to American Christian conservatives.

"America's Christian fundamentalist are far and few"?

I think Jerry Falwell would disagree. Jerry's quest for the apocalypse and inability to respect other beliefs puts him in the same class as Islamic extremists.

Here are the top ten among Christian Fundamentalist groups in the USA.

1. Christian Broadcasting Network
Founder, CEO and Director: The Rev. Pat Robertson

2. Focus on the Family
Founder and chairman: Dr. James C. Dobson

3. Coral Ridge Ministries
Founder and President: The Rev. D. James Kennedy

4. Alliance Defense Fund
President, CEO and General Counsel: Alan Sears

5. American Family Association
Founder and Chairman: The Rev. Donald Wildmon

6. American Center for Law and Justice
Founder and President: The Rev. Pat Robertson
Chief Counsel: Jay Sekulow

7. Family Research Council
Founder: James C. Dobson
President and CEO: Tony Perkins

8. Jerry Falwell Ministries
Founder and Director: The Rev. Jerry Falwell

9. Concerned Women for America
Founders: Tim and Beverly LaHaye

10. Traditional Values Coalition
Founder and Chairman: The Rev. Louis P. Sheldon

Americans United: June 06 Religious Right Power Brokers

Here is another web site that mentions more groups:

Hate groups operating in the United States

Those who have any doubts about either the power or the danger of fundamentalist Christian groups in America might want to research these groups just to see how much money and power they have to dedicate themselves to making you think like them.

Japanese belief is Shintoism more than buddism - quite different - shintoism had installed the emperor as the son of the heavens. Nevertheless, the religious wars you reference to were wars fought in the name of the emperor as a religious icon more so than fighting in the name of buddha.

True we do have some idiots but ask yourself when the last time you saw a Christian group call for an entire country and its people to be destroyed?

Also when these idiots do push their BS too far we as a people stand against them in PUBLIC. You wont see that in the Middle East...:doh
You touch on a very interesting point here.
Being that "when the last time you saw a Christian group call for an entire country and its people to be destroyed?" For which we have to look at this relativistically.
From our standpoint, the muslims call for the destruction of Israel and the US for various means here and there.
From their standpoint there's the sensation of hundreds of years of colonial imperialist rule by western nations from superior technology and weaponry, continually "taking" their resources and installing dictators.
Some of us here still believe that Iraq was about its relationship with 9/11. Yet how do the muslims see it? The actual destruction of a nation by a dominantly christian nation led by a christian evangelical leader through unilateral decision in complete disregard to the facts of the time (UN weapons inspector Hanz Blitz).

It's easy to cast blame on others whom you don't know or ppl of another country for the turmoils, but in any conflict there are always two at fault, only by our self examination can we begin to really kill the weeds at the root - that is the cause of the upset of muslims against western countries.

Why don't the muslim countries call for the annihilation of Japan? China? S. Korea? Why only western dominantly christian nations?

Japanese belief is Shintoism more than buddism - quite different - shintoism had installed the emperor as the son of the heavens. Nevertheless, the religious wars you reference to were wars fought in the name of the emperor as a religious icon more so than fighting in the name of buddha.

This is not correct. it is not a question of believing in one more than the other. this is what appears as an enigma to foreigners about the Japanese. Shinto explains the divine origins of the Japanese people. Confucianism governs everyday life and Buddhism governs the after life such as it exists. In reality until modern times the Japanese believed in all three schools of thought. But the great wars in Japan were between the warring factions of the Buddhist monks. If you want to really find out about this you need to read the "Nihongi" to know how Shinto works. In English the best authority on the wars of the Buddhist sects is Sir George Samson. The translation of the life of Miyamoto Musashi also gives insight to this. The develpment of the martial arts is related to Buddhist monkes and not Shinto priests.

This website will provide you with a basic background on what i am speaking of:
Japan's Religion and Philosophy (Shinto, Buddhism,  Christianity, Religion in Japan Today)

"America's Christian fundamentalist are far and few"?

I think Jerry Falwell would disagree. Jerry's quest for the apocalypse and inability to respect other beliefs puts him in the same class as Islamic extremists.

He said that they are "far and few between." You mention a single individual as proof that he is in error? It sort of gives his statement credibility. You don't have to identify individuals. Were this all you had to do, then there would be no discussion here. All you have to do is to look at the civilizations. When millions of Christians take to the streets and rejoice in some "god" inspired violence because Fallwell blessed it on international television...you will start to have a point. When Christian organizations inspire millions of Christians to burn down houses and government buildings and resort to mob prescribed murder over a cartoon depicting Jesus, then you will start to have a point.

Come to think about it, why is it that people here are trying to produce mostly peaceful Christian "fundamental" groups as some sort of comparison to mostly violent Islamic Radical groups anyway? Is it merely to show how the mind of the fundamental is related amongst religions? Isn't this common sense? But in acknowledging such truths are we now armed to dismiss the true dangers of the day or to bash Christians? It's simple exhonerations from facing the reality of today.

If we were to argue over who's religion is better (a rediculous, futile and highly insignificant quest), we would only have to look at the state they are in today and their beginnings.....

Christianity - born out of pacifism.

Islam - born out of war where one of the sects succeeded.

And through a history of on and off again religious violence by both, the re-definings, the learned tolerations and the absent of tolerations.....where are they today? Merely parading around that Christianity has its fundamentals is silly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom