• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans Try to Disappear from Internet as Security Anxiety Grows

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Heard a lot of bragging about US being a free country etc. and now people suddenly keep their mouths shut even in this forum.
Americans have some reasons to be wary about their security. First among those are identity theft and widely reported news that the National Security Agency tracks some people’s activities. The NSA and large Internet firms like Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) and Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ: FB) say that this tracking is not done at the individual person level. However, whether rightly or wrongly, many people do not believe that.

Read more: Americans Try to Disappear from Internet as Security Anxiety Grows - Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/technology-3/2...rnet-as-security-anxiety-grows/#ixzz2e1uDDuoN

Last edited:
Heard a lot of bragging about US being a free country etc. and now people suddenly keep their mouths shut even in this forum.
Whatever that meant. :confused:

You obviously don't read this forum do you? Take a gander at all the Obama bashing threads... doesn't look like many folks are keeping their mouths shut to me... :roll:

Free-est country in the world. Dont let anyone fool you.
And I and the rest of us excersize our 1st Amendment all day, every day.

i know that i make it a point to talk a lot less about high explosives when i speak with my fellow militia members via phone.

i know that i make it a point to talk a lot less about high explosives when i speak with my fellow militia members via phone.

Shhhh! You're giving away our secrets! We're suppose to make them think we use the phones ALL the time!

Disappear? LOL

The only other presence I have online aside from this Forum are my two email accounts. Hell, I even pay a service to keep my information off the net and out of background check companies. For the few they can't which require my personal action I do every six months. :)

Screw the NSA and all the other A-holes in Washington who think they have a right and duty to spy on American citizens. To quote my favorite wise owl Diana, a pox on them ALL!! :2mad: LOL

Last edited:
Shhhh! You're giving away our secrets! We're suppose to make them think we use the phones ALL the time!

since they might listen to me covertly through my cell phone mic, here's what i do :

1. pick a song i like, such as Obviously Five Believers by Bob Dylan or Halah by Mazzy Star.
2. play it wherever i go, on repeat.
3. do that for a month, and then pick another song, and do it again.

this month is the first song i listed. last month was a tune off of Another Side of Bob Dylan.

i hope that they like Bob Dylan and Mazzy Star. my OCD guarantees my privacy.

What? People suddenly?

You know, when the net first became used in private homes (when I was a child) - for your safety you were told a few basic things:

#1) Don't ever tell someone your real name.
#2) Don't even give your place of work.
#3) Don't give out your phone number.
#4) Don't give out your age.
#5) Don't give out your address.
#6) Don't develop deep, serious relationship with entities online.

What was the concern? SAFETY.

What do people do now? The exact OPPOSITE even though SAFETY is a serious concern, still.

The government deciding that it WANTS you to violate your safety and privacy doesn't make *you* a hypocrite for still keeping to your safety and privacy.

Little do they know... we've changed all the code-words!

:cuckoo:

What? People suddenly?

You know, when the net first became used in private homes (when I was a child) - for your safety you were told a few basic things:

#1) Don't ever tell someone your real name.
#2) Don't even give your place of work.
#3) Don't give out your phone number.
#4) Don't give out your age.
#5) Don't give out your address.
#6) Don't develop deep, serious relationship with entities online.

What was the concern? SAFETY.

What do people do now? The exact OPPOSITE even though SAFETY is a serious concern, still.

The government deciding that it WANTS you to violate your safety and privacy doesn't make *you* a hypocrite for still keeping to your safety and privacy.

My name is Dirt
I work over there
my phone number is 666-1212
Im 99 years old
I live in hell
Could I have your credit card number?

86% of internet users have taken steps online to remove or mask their digital footprints — ranging from clearing cookies to encrypting their email. (The other 15% never figured out how to set their vcr either. So its no surprise they couldnt figure this out either.)

55% of internet users have taken steps to avoid observation by specific people, organizations, or the government. (The other 45% dont have a guilt complex. Or dont even get online because their pastor told them that the internet was evil)

BTW freedom at least real freedom comes with the good and the bad.

Speaking of freedom hows that going for you in Singapore?

Wasnt it 2 years in prison for making racist comments online in Singapore?

Sedition Act (Singapore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Im sure you would talk about if it wasnt a OB marker.

Klattu Borada Nikto!

You will receive your new code words via unexpected, untraceable and unencryptable source. Good job, agent. This message will self destruct in 3, 2...

Eco's response made me think of the Hunger Games.

The Capital City, in an effort to spy on the rebels, released a enginnered species of bird, called a "jabber jay".

It could listrn in on the rebels conversations, returning back to the Capital City with whole Conversations memorized.

Well the Rebels figured where the leak was, and fed them false imformation through the birds.

That made them useless to the Capital so they let them die off.

But, they didn't. They mated with Mocking Birds, and created the " Mocking Jay". A bird that retained some of its descendents abillities.

Great books. My 11 year old duaghter convinced me to read them.

The Mocking Jay became the symbol of final resistance and victory over the Capital.

Eco's response made me think of the Hunger Games.

The Capital City, in an effort to spy on the rebels, released a enginnered species of bird, called a "jabber jay".

It could listrn in on the rebels conversations, returning back to the Capital City with whole Conversations memorized.

Well the Rebels figured where the leak was, and fed them false imformation through the birds.

That made them useless to the Capital so they let them die off.

But, they didn't. They mated with Mocking Birds, and created the " Mocking Jay". A bird that retained some of its descendents abillities.

Great books. My 11 year old duaghter convinced me to read them.

The Mocking Jay became the symbol of final resistance and victory over the Capital.

Ah, a fellow THG fan! Does the Syrian story Fearless Leader is telling today remind you of SPOILER
Gale's false flag operation that ends up killing Prim?

86% of internet users have taken steps online to remove or mask their digital footprints — ranging from clearing cookies to encrypting their email. (The other 15% never figured out how to set their vcr either. So its no surprise they couldnt figure this out either.)

55% of internet users have taken steps to avoid observation by specific people, organizations, or the government. (The other 45% dont have a guilt complex. Or dont even get online because their pastor told them that the internet was evil)

BTW freedom at least real freedom comes with the good and the bad.

Speaking of freedom hows that going for you in Singapore?

Wasnt it 2 years in prison for making racist comments online in Singapore?

Sedition Act (Singapore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Im sure you would talk about if it wasnt a OB marker.

We are used to the system here and the system has done us good unlike the USA where constitutional rights is uppermost in people's minds.

Last edited:
.....people suddenly keep their mouths shut even in this forum.

:lamo

We are used to the system here and the system has done us good unlike the USA where constitutional rights is uppermost in people's minds.

My point is that you ought to take a look at your own country since the one that you are chiding is doing much better (even now).

My point is that you ought to take a look at your own country since the one that you are chiding is doing much better (even now).

We have always accepted the harsh laws here and like I said earlier they served as well here.

Back
Top Bottom