• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American's the Evil?

makmugens

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A lot of people complain about the sneaky and underhanded, sometimes even dark and criminal things that the nation and the government does. I have, as well, and I stand by those beliefs. BUT...

While I am complaining, I realized...what if America did not do all those things? Would we still be (quite arguably) number one, or even a considerable or relevant part of the international commune? The level of living you enjoy today (the stated average level) comes from America knifing it's way up to the top and kicking competition in the face. Whether by good or bad means, you still owe those means your current way of existence. Because you could be Greece right now, having to cow-tow and accept money and foreign influence in return for help. It's still and always has been a world based on the strong survive. Better to be strong and hated than weak and helpless...right?

While I still hiss over some of the things I find as I increasingly look back or look closer into what has or is happening, now I also have to wonder about that? Is it wrong to complain about the hosts actions while eating from his table? (sharing the benefits of his actions)

Last edited:
Evil = Good?

A lot of people complain about the sneaky and underhanded, sometimes even dark and criminal things that the nation and the government does. I have, as well, and I stand by those beliefs. BUT...

While I am complaining, I realized...what if America did not do all those things? Would we still be (quite arguably) number one, or even a considerable or relevant part of the international commune? The level of living you enjoy today (the stated average level) comes from America knifing it's way up to the top and kicking competition in the face. Whether by good or bad means, you still owe those means your current way of existence. Because you could be Greece right now, having to cow-tow and accept money and foreign influence in return for help. It's still and always has been a world based on the strong survive. Better to be strong and hated than weak and helpless...right?

While I still hiss over some of the things I find as I increasingly look back or look closer into what has or is happening, now I also have to wonder about that? Is it wrong to complain about the hosts actions while eating from his table? (sharing the benefits of his actions)

So you're switching from idealism to pragmatism?

While I am complaining, I realized...what if America did not do all those things? Would we still be (quite arguably) number one,
And being number one is important why? Isn't it more important to have just what you need and not trample on others in getting it? Having too little is disastrous, but having too much can be a curse. It certainly doesn't seem to bring anyone too much happiness or contentment.

It's still and always has been a world based on the strong survive. Better to be strong and hated than weak and helpless...right?
You don't have to be strong and hated to survive. In fact the hated bit severely damages your long-term survival prospects, I would suggest.

Is it wrong to complain about the hosts actions while eating from his table? (sharing the benefits of his actions)
I don't know what you're referring to here. Who is the host in this scenario?

Last edited:
The United States of America is just as good/bad as all other western democracies (depends on who is judging us western democracies). The US does it's best to keep the enemies foreign and domestic from doing evil deeds, sometimes that goes against the niceties of how things were done in the past. It is a sign of the times that there are no fly lists etc.

When all this passes and the enemies foreign and domestic are no longer as dangerous as they are now, the temporary losses in freedoms will be turned back to pre-9/11 times.

When all this passes and the enemies foreign and domestic are no longer as dangerous as they are now, the temporary losses in freedoms will be turned back to pre-9/11 times.

I hope that's true, but I fear it isn't. Ruling classes rarely give up powers without a fight.

I think this is off. The US had it's best days of prosperity when being more ethical than cut throat. Our Constitution and the following of the laws from it are closer to accuracy than most other nations. It's our resources, size, temperate climate and philosophy of equality and prosperity for all that built our success, not underhanded sneakiness. We became great despite this behavior not because of it.

Our Constitution and the following of it's laws...I think the Constitution was the grandest hypocrisy from the start. I think history can back me up.

Well, this question isn't my philosophy, it was more or less intended to try and make people see things from a different point of view. But the replies are all dry wits and impulse posters, so...lol.

Back
Top Bottom