• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans over 62, if reelected, will Trump end your Social Socurity and Medicare?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump has promised if reelected to end the payroll taxes which fund Social Security and Medicare and those programs will run out of money in three years. Since the GOP will never approve another tax to fund these programs, they will sputter and then die. So I ask those Trump followers over 62, you can get reduced Social Security payments at 62, are you willing to take the chance that the Social Security and Medicare you have paid into all of your working life will end in three years? I remember listening to a GOP member from Kentucky talking to a reporter in 2016 about the GOP trying to end the ACA. She told the reporter that the GOP would never do that and it was just one of those campaign promises no one expect to actually happen. Well we know how that has gone. One ruling by SCOTUS will end the program and 20 million people will lose their health insurance. I know you will only vote Trump, but why would you do so knowing he will do everything he can to end those programs and "fulfill" his promise to do so?

Trump has promised if reelected to end the payroll taxes which fund Social Security and Medicare and those programs will run out of money in three years. Since the GOP will never approve another tax to fund these programs, they will sputter and then die. So I ask those Trump followers over 62, you can get reduced Social Security payments at 62, are you willing to take the chance that the Social Security and Medicare you have paid into all of your working life will end in three years? I remember listening to a GOP member from Kentucky talking to a reporter in 2016 about the GOP trying to end the ACA. She told the reporter that the GOP would never do that and it was just one of those campaign promises no one expect to actually happen. Well we know how that has gone. One ruling by SCOTUS will end the program and 20 million people will lose their health insurance. I know you will only vote Trump, but why would you do so knowing he will do everything he can to end those programs and "fulfill" his promise to do so?

SS and Medicare are not paid out of any payroll tax fund. They are paid out of the Treasury's general fund. So no...I've seen no indication in word or deed that Trump will end SS or Medicare.

You say "I know you will only vote Trump", meaning Americans over 62, I guess. What evidence do you have that most Americans over 62 will vote for Trump?

It has always been a.republican plan to remove the social safety net. That is why they keep whittling away at it. Cutting benefits, raising the retirement age, etc. They refuse to take the simple steps required to fix the shortfalls. Biden has a plan to do just that.

Any retired person or working/middle class person who votes Republican is just voting against their best interest.

The Democratic Party has been lying for decades, falsely claiming Republicans are going to cancel social security. Basically, the Democratic Party is a domestic terrorist organization telling any and every lie they can think of to terrorize as many people as possible.

If it was for hate-mongering, advocating violence and destruction, fear-mongering, race baiting, promoting social divisions, despising the USA and Americans, and lying the Democratic Party would have nothing. There is NOTHING positive about the Democratic Party. Without lying the Democratic Party would have nothing to say at all.

You say "I know you will only vote Trump", meaning Americans over 62, I guess. What evidence do you have that most Americans over 62 will vote for Trump?

I was talking about those who are Trump followers over 62, not everyone.

You are wrong. The Federal general fund is used for all programs that are not supported by a trust. Social Security is a trust program.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ap_27_funds-fy2020.pdf

And if those funds don't have enough money in them, the Treasury will replace those funds out of the general fund.

SS and Medicare will not end.

Of course, it'll be wise for Congress to find some way to replace any funds lost if they decide to end the payroll tax. Not doing so would result in more deficit spending.

I won't make any predictions about the wisdom of Congress.

The Democratic Party has been lying for decades, falsely claiming Republicans are going to cancel social security. Basically, the Democratic Party is a domestic terrorist organization telling any and every lie they can think of to terrorize as many people as possible.

If it was for hate-mongering, advocating violence and destruction, fear-mongering, race baiting, promoting social divisions, despising the USA and Americans, and lying the Democratic Party would have nothing. There is NOTHING positive about the Democratic Party. Without lying the Democratic Party would have nothing to say at all.

How exactly will we pay for Social Security and Medicare if they eliminate the payroll tax? I can tell you, we can't. So if Trump ends the payroll tax either we need another tax to pay for the program or it will end. Can you honestly tell me that the GOP members of congress and Trump would ever vote for another tax. So ending the payroll tax will end Social Security and Medicare or do you have anther logical way of keeping Social Security and Medicare paid for after ending the payroll tax. Trump is the one who has made this promise so do not blame me or the Dems for this.

And if those funds don't have enough money in them, the Treasury will replace those funds out of the general fund.

Of course, it'll be wise for Congress to find some way to replace any funds lost if they decide to end the payroll tax. Not doing so would result in more deficit spending.

I am sure you know that the general fund has borrowed now over 3 trillion dollars from the Social Security and Medicare funds to help balance the Federal budget over the last thirty years. This was done by BOTH parties, so I am not blaming one party or thee other for this. So the general fund has to pay this back before the FICA fund "runs" out of money.

Your full of it as usual. You said, "SS and Medicare are not paid out of any payroll tax fund."
"....find some way to replace any funds lost if they decide to end the payroll tax."

Why would Congress need to find a way to replace funds lost if the payroll tax is ended. According to you SS is not funded by a payroll tax.

I suggest you sue to get your money back from Trump U. That place failed you.:lamo

Are you on social security?

SS and Medicare are not paid out of any payroll tax fund. They are paid out of the Treasury's general fund. So no...I've seen no indication in word or deed that Trump will end SS or Medicare.

Um...yes, they are. DUH!!!

Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $137,700 (in 2020), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent.

How is Social Security financed? | Press Office | SSA.

How Social Security Payroll Tax Cut Will Hurt Your Retirement

Um...yes, they are. DUH!!!

Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $137,700 (in 2020), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent.

How is Social Security financed? | Press Office | SSA.

How Social Security Payroll Tax Cut Will Hurt Your Retirement

Sorry, but you can not educate those who do not wish to be educated so you are probably wasting your time, but thank you for the info.

Where are you getting this fever dream. And support by rational people?

Sorry, but you can not educate those who do not wish to be educated so you are probably wasting your time, but thank you for the info.

Wasting time is what we do best on DP.

Mycroft stepped his foot in it. The fun comes watching him try to worm his way out of it.

My guess is that the Tweetycult plan will be to leave old people alone and **** over younger workers.

You should really have a talk with fellow poster “Conservative” because he’s going to be really mad at you and rant about how you don’t know anything about how taxes work.

Thank Partisan Politics for indictments like this. It matters little which position the party affiliation indicates - these perceptive statements are just as valid and compelling for partisan voters on ether side of the dividing line, factual or not.

I am sure you know that the general fund has borrowed now over 3 trillion dollars from the Social Security and Medicare funds to help balance the Federal budget over the last thirty years. This was done by BOTH parties, so I am not blaming one party or thee other for this. So the general fund has to pay this back before the FICA fund "runs" out of money.

Or...the government just runs a deficit.

As I said...I won't make any predictions about the wisdom of Congress.

Where are you getting this fever dream. And support by rational people?

Trump wants to scrap payroll taxes that fund Social Security, Medicare - Business Insider

Are you saying that Trump has not promised to end the payroll tax if reelected? If so you, you need to get out and get real news, see link above. And since this is the way we fund Social Security and Medicare, the fund will run out i three years according to the Trump Administration. Do you really believe that the GOP would support a ne tax?

Your full of it as usual. You said, "SS and Medicare are not paid out of any payroll tax fund."
"....find some way to replace any funds lost if they decide to end the payroll tax."

Why would Congress need to find a way to replace funds lost if the payroll tax is ended. According to you SS is not funded by a payroll tax.

I suggest you sue to get your money back from Trump U. That place failed you.:lamo

The payroll tax is being collected. That money is routinely used to supplement the general fund. If Congress ends the payroll tax, they need to make up the money lost...or, of course, they could choose not to in which case, deficit spending will grow.

Or...the government just runs a deficit.

As I said...I won't make any predictions about the wisdom of Congress.

THose are two words that should never be close to each other, wisdom and congress.

:lamo

Ive said it numerous times. The leftist p[laybook is so predictable its patheitc. They cant win on being honest about their policy goals so they use fear and make the same ridiculous tired attacks they have in every federal election since the 70s.

Racist
Sexist
Anti-gay
Class warfare
Social Security

Leftists dont need campaign strategists because they are always going to do the same thing. Every time.

:lamo

Ive said it numerous times. The leftist p[laybook is so predictable its patheitc. They cant win on being honest about their policy goals so they use fear and make the same ridiculous tired attacks they have in every federal election since the 70s.

Racist
Sexist
Anti-gay
Class warfare
Social Security

Leftists dont need campaign strategists because they are always going to do the same thing. Every time.

SO you do not believe Trump said he would end the payroll tax which would end Social Security and Medicare? Are you real?

Back
Top Bottom