• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans fault Trump for chaotic government shutdown

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Americans fault Trump for chaotic government shutdown, as more believe US is ‘on the wrong track’

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190116150054-25-trump-year-two.jpg

1/27/19
The government shutdown that just ended has deepened Americans’ discontent with the state of the nation--and they place the blame primarily on President Donald Trump, a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released on Sunday showed. The poll’s results showed that by 63 percent to 28 percent , a margin greater than two to one, Americans believe the country is “off on the wrong track” rather than “headed in the right direction.” That’s significantly worse than the 56 percent to 33 percent finding from the December NBC/WSJ poll, taken before the shutdown. And by 50 percent to 37 percent, Americans blame Trump, rather than Democrats in Congress, for the debacle. That result reflects their disagreement with his stance on the issue that caused it. Pluralities disapprove the president’s handling of border security and immigration issues, and say would-be immigrants across the southern border with Mexico would strengthen rather than weaken America. A 52 percent majority opposes construction of a wall or fence along the U.S.-Mexico border, while 45 percent favor it.

Underneath that unimpressive showing lies sharply negative assessments of the president. Just one-third of Americans express confidence that Trump has the right goals and policies; an even lower proportion, 28 percent, express confidence that he has the right personal characteristics to be president. By 47 percent to 36 percent, Americans rate Trump negatively rather than positively for “being a good negotiator,” the characteristic he has long claimed as his signature quality. He fares even worse on “being steady and reliable” (53 percent negative, 32 percent positive), “being knowledgeable and experienced enough” (54 percent negative, 32 percent positive), “being honest and trustworthy” (58 percent negative, 28 percent positive) and “having high personal and ethical standards” (58 percent negative, 24 percent positive).

The numbers above are horrific. Trump has 17 days to decide if he again wants to go to war over his wall. He took an ass beating for the 35 day shutdown that just ended with temporary funding bills.

I doubt the GOP Senate would support another protracted shutdown. That leaves Trump with the "national emergency" gambit, a Hail Mary as there isn't any national emergency extant on the borders.

The most rational way forward is for Trump to sign whatever bipartisan compromise funding bills the Congressional leaderships forward to his desk.

Americans fault Trump for chaotic government shutdown, as more believe US is ‘on the wrong track’

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190116150054-25-trump-year-two.jpg

The numbers above are horrific. Trump has 17 days to decide if he again wants to go to war over his wall. He took an ass beating for the 35 day shutdown that just ended with temporary funding bills.

I doubt the GOP Senate would support another protracted shutdown. That leaves Trump with the "national emergency" gambit, a Hail Mary as there isn't any national emergency extant on the borders.

The most rational way forward is for Trump to sign whatever bipartisan compromise funding bills the Congressional leaderships forward to his desk.

When CNBC won't give a link to the poll you have to wonder what they are hiding.

Bogus sampling data?

And yet Pelosi's popularity FELL FURTHER than did TRUMP'S.

IOW, most Americans do NOT SEE A GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN as "CATASTROPHIC" as the left does.

Yikes ... some of those numbers dipping below 30%. On the one hand, those are hopeful stats. On the other hand, even in that poll his overall approval rating is 43% in spite of a large percentage of his base having a low opinion of him in key areas. That's depressing. But maybe some of those people are just taking a little while to let their loyalties catch up enough with their observations about what a trainwreck he is. It's hard to let go and admit that the person you voted for is not who you thought he was.

Democrats have 17 days left to show if they have honor or are unscrupulous liars.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Democrats have 17 days left to show if they have honor or are unscrupulous liars.

They agreed to negotiate, not give you what you want. You have no right to demand they give you something.

Especially when everyone making such blindingly dishonest comments as yours knows full well that the GOP didn't give Trump his 5 billion when it controlled government.

Enough of the endless **** parade.

From what I hear Pelosi numbers are worse. They are in single digits

The problem with the question of "are we on the right track" is that its too generalized. Both Democrats and Republicans can think "we're on the right track" or "we're on the wrong track" but the reasons for each saying either one will be based on entirely different reasoning's.

We're on the Right Track Example:

Republican A thinks that pushing for immigration reform, border security (to include the wall) is a good thing that needs done and as such they're going to think we're on the Right Track.

Democrat A thinks that pushing to get Trump impeached, most of the country being against Trump is a good thing that needs to be done and as such they're going to think we're on the Right Track.

We're on the Wrong Track Example:

Republican B thinks that Democrats are gaining too much power and will push for open borders, living wage for everyone etc etc and as such we're heading down the wrong track.

Democrat B thinks that there are racists coming out of the woodwork and gaining power and as such we're headed down the wrong track.

So really the poll question is pretty much worthless as it is showing a firm answer towards something even though the reasons for those answers are widely varying. Some reasons may be based on false ideology or "alternative facts" (from either direction) and as such really shouldn't be counted as those are not legitimate reasons.

Trump wanted to meet and negotiate. Pelosi and Schumer couldn't be seen to do so and not invite the wrath of the fringe now running their show.

When CNBC won't give a link to the poll you have to wonder what they are hiding.

Bogus sampling data?

That it was essentially a one question poll. A generalized question that doesn't mean anything if actually thought about.

NBC News/Wall Street Journal Poll

Just to clarify, yes, there were multiple questions. But there was only one or two that the media actually cares about.

Last edited:
They agreed to negotiate, not give you what you want. You have no right to demand they give you something.

Especially when everyone making such blindingly dishonest comments as yours knows full well that the GOP didn't give Trump his 5 billion when it controlled government.

We will see if they make a fair offer or not.

What was so 'chaotic' about the shutdown? I didn't even know that it occurred until many days into it...

We'll see if they even negotiate...

But they need to send Trump a bill that is acceptable to both him and the Senate, or else government will be shut down again.

Americans fault Trump for chaotic government shutdown

that's because it's his fault.

From what I hear Pelosi numbers are worse. They are in single digits

1) You're wrong.

2) Pelosi isn't the president.

So really the poll question is pretty much worthless as it is showing a firm answer towards something even though the reasons for those answers are widely varying. Some reasons may be based on false ideology or "alternative facts" (from either direction) and as such really shouldn't be counted as those are not legitimate reasons.

There were plenty of other dismal Trump Poll numbers besides Right/Wrong track.

Shall I list them?

There were plenty of other dismal Trump Poll numbers besides Right/Wrong track.

Shall I list them?

That people don't like Trump is nothing new, nor surprising. But nothing you said here discounts what I said. Which was neutral. Neither favoring to or against anyone.

Trump wanted to meet and negotiate....

Are you seriously saying that Trump was willing to negotiate ?

That he was willing to give up his wall in return for a finance bill and the re-opening of the government ?

No he wasn't.

Trump wanted to meet and for Pelosi to agree to his demands. And he (and seemingly you) call this "negotiating".

What was so 'chaotic' about the shutdown? I didn't even know that it occurred until many days into it...

Obviously it had no effect on you. Only those who were not paid.

...the most rational way forward is for Trump to sign whatever bipartisan compromise funding bills the Congressional leaderships forward to his desk.

To a rational man, yes.

But Trump isn't rational.

Not over his "signature" policy anyway.

The wall is his "Alamo". The line in the sand.
If he gives up on the wall...or more importantly is seen to have given up on it and reneged on his key promise, then his presidency is over.

Forget about 2020.

In truth it probably is already over so he'll hang on to any hope he can that he can force his wall through - or at least a policy that he can "claim" as a wall.

False..... important societal work not getting done harms the society, and there generally is no way to recoup time wasted doing nothing.

Let's hope Trump honors his promises to those who elected him in spite of horrific opposition from those who didn't, no matter what horrific price he will likely be made to pay for doing the right thing.

Sure, it affected them... They didn't get a couple of paychecks on time... Yet,they were still much better off than many private sector employees are when they get put out of work (think the W. Virginia coal miners that Obama put out of work [and not just for a few weeks]... Those people didn't get "back pay" either).

So, I'm not seeing what the big fuss is... Welcome to a small taste of what it's like in the private sector, boys and girls... :/

When you get put out of a job, you find a new one...

Sure, it affected them... They didn't get a couple of paychecks on time... Yet,they were still much better off than many private sector employees are when they get put out of work (think the W. Virginia coal miners that Obama put out of work [and not just for a few weeks]... Those people didn't get "back pay" either).

So, I'm not seeing what the big fuss is... Welcome to a small taste of what it's like in the private sector, boys and girls... :/

When you get put out of a job, you find a new one...

A government shutdown is always a fuss and the longer it goes on the more the effects trickle down. They should never happen.

Back
Top Bottom