• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans blame Trump and GOP for Shutdown

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It's good to see the country isn't stupid.

Americans blame Trump and GOP much more than Democrats for shutdown, Post-ABC poll finds

By a wide margin, more Americans blame President Trump and Republicans in Congress than congressional Democrats for the now record-breaking government shutdown, and most reject the president’s assertion that there is an illegal-immigration crisis on the southern border, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Concerning the allocation of blame, 53 percent say Trump and the Republicans are mainly at fault, and 29 percent blame the Democrats in Congress. Thirteen percent say both sides bear equal responsibility for the shutdown. That is identical to the end of the 16-day shutdown in 2013, when 29 percent blamed then-President Barack Obama and 53 percent put the responsibility on congressional Republicans.

A predictable partisan divide shapes the blame game, with 85 percent of Democrats citing Trump and Republicans as the cause and 68 percent of Republicans pointing the finger at congressional Democrats. Independents fix the blame squarely on the president and his party rather than on the Democrats, by 53 percent to 23 percent. Women blame Trump and Republicans by a margin of 35 points, and men blame the president and the GOP by 13 points.

I dont know that you can hang your hat on that. What it says is that 47% either blame dems, both or dont know. I think what you are going to see happen in that blame will ultimately fall on the side unwilling to make any effort to end it. The uncompromising liberal stand keeps the loony fringe base in line, but ultimately most Americans still want government to work together to solve problems not adhere to rigid ideological positions and cause them.

Ego trip for the liberal/Demos. Very simple answer missy misdemeanor Pelosi...tell your people to comply.

Trump already accepted blame.

Here's a question for you.

Two people are in a car driving around a neighborhood. The driver of the car stops in front of a house, gets out and breaks into the house and comes back out with a TV. Puts the TV in the car and drives off. The passenger knows whats going on but says nothing. Unknown to either of them there is a camera that catches both their faces.

One day later the police arrest the two.

Passenger says "I did nothing!"

Drivers accepts full blame.

Should the police let go of the passenger? Or should that passenger be charged as an accessory?

Two people are in a car driving around a neighborhood. The driver of the car stops in front of house, gets out and breaks into the house and comes back out with a TV. Puts the TV in the car and drives off. The passenger knows whats going on but says nothing. Unknown to either of them there is a camera that catches both their faces.

Should the police let go of the passenger? Or should that passenger be charged as an accessory?

HUH? You're comparing a crime to Trump?

Wait!!! Now that I think about it.... Continue on.

Since you poked your nose in, would you care to answer the question? Or are you just going to deflect like you attempted to do here? In case you couldn't tell, its not about the crime....its about who gets the blame.

Two people are in a car driving around a neighborhood. The driver of the car stops in front of a house, gets out and breaks into the house and comes back out with a TV. Puts the TV in the car and drives off. The passenger knows whats going on but says nothing. Unknown to either of them there is a camera that catches both their faces.

The passenger made the arrest.

Democrats Pass Bill To Reopen Government; Shutdown Continues

Here's another scenario for you if you don't want to answer the other one. One that isn't using a crime as an example...

You have two teams working on a big corporation project. Both are supposed to carry out an objective by working together.

Team A believes that doing the objective one way would be the best route to go. Team B believes that Team A is wrong and should go about it in another way. Both sides keep arguing about how to accomplish the objective until the due date for the project to finish comes along and nothing is done. Should the CEO fire both teams? Or just the one that argued the most?

Try and answer the question please. As my scenario pointed out, the passenger did nothing to make the arrest. The police did.

If the Democrats pass a bill that they know is not going to succeed in getting past the Senate then they have done nothing. Like the passenger in the car, all the Democrats did was look. *Look ma! We did something!"

There are two ways to end this shutdown.

1: Pass a bill that they know is going to get passed in the Senate, which means Trump will sign it as the only way to do that is to put the money for the wall in it.

2: Pass a bi-partisan bill that involves both parties in sufficient number to over-ride Trumps Veto Power.

Here's another scenario for you if you don't want to answer the other one. One that isn't using a crime as an example...

You have two teams working on a big corporation project. Both are supposed to carry out an objective by working together.

Team A believes that doing the objective one way would be the best route to go. Team B believes that Team A is wrong and should go about it in another way. Both sides keep arguing about how to accomplish the objective until the due date for the project to finish comes along and nothing is done. Should the CEO fire both teams? Or just the one that argued the most?

If Team A is on camera, and flat out admits if the objective fails they should be blamed and are at fault? And is also on record in the past of saying that if the Objective fails that means Team A's leadership is 'inept'.

I'd fire Team A.

If the Democrats pass a bill that they know is not going to succeed in getting past the Senate then they have done nothing. Like the passenger in the car, all the Democrats did was look.

That bill passed unanimously in the Senate a few weeks ago.

This is a manufactured crisis. And it's being manufactured by Trump and the GOP.

Try and answer the question please. As my scenario pointed out, the passenger did nothing to make the arrest. The police did.

2: Pass a bi-partisan bill that involves both parties in sufficient number to over-ride Trumps Veto Power.

McConnell is NOT allowing that now... He's protecting the driver.. So is there a 3rd person in this car?

If Team A is on camera, and flat out admits if the objective fails they should be blamed and are at fault? And is also on record in the past of saying that if the Objective fails that means Team A's leadership is 'inept'.

I'd fire Team A.

And now you have Team B arguing with the new Team A who agreed with the previous Team A's assessment or came up with ANOTHER idea that they think is better.

Or alternatively Team A decides that they dare not oppose Team B and as a result the objective was completed but the costs ends up prohibitive and the CEO decides to can the whole thing. In the end costing the company time and money with all the time and effort wasted while waiting for the Original Team A and Team B to come up with something and then the New Team A and Team B to do their thing.

Good Job!!! ;)

McConnell is NOT allowing that now... He's protecting the driver.. So is there a 3rd person in this car?

Maybe he's the car and it's sort of a Knight Rider situation.

giphy.gif

Guess they're just going to have to work to get him to accept then won't they? I would imagine that if enough people from both sides of the aisle confront him, especially in a public area he'll have to relent, don't you think?

And now you have Team B arguing with the new Team A who agreed with the previous Team A's assessment or came up with ANOTHER idea that they think is better.

Or alternatively Team A decides that they dare not oppose Team B and as a result the objective was completed but the costs ends up prohibitive and the CEO decides to can the whole thing. In the end costing the company time and money with all the time and effort wasted while waiting for the Original Team A and Team B to come up with something and then the New Team A and Team B to do their thing.

Good Job!!! ;)

Reading this did make me run to get another cup of coffee. And I KNOW we are looking at our 'Team A's' much differently. Anyway as I mentioned in another post, McConnell is now not allowing Team A or Team B to do 'their thing'.

This is simple. The Republicans love businesses and Corps, and businesses love immigrants, both legal and illegal because they work cheap, damn even Trump hires them . The Republicans in Congress have no intention of totally closing the border, their business donors won't allow it.. That is the reason McConnell will not allow these House bills to be voted on, he knows they will pass the Senate and override Trump's veto which will be an absolute NIGHTMARE for the GOP.. Trump's base and Trump's Fox network will revolt.

So your car and Team A and B examples don't work. Because McConnell is the wildcard right now in this whole mess.

Guess they're just going to have to work to get him to accept then won't they? I would imagine that if enough people from both sides of the aisle confront him, especially in a public area he'll have to relent, don't you think?

No... read my previous post. And when it comes to McConnell it has nothing to do with both sides. That's all the GOP. You're trying everything to blame the dems.. sorry, won't work with me.

I dont know that you can hang your hat on that. What it says is that 47% either blame dems, both or dont know. I think what you are going to see happen in that blame will ultimately fall on the side unwilling to make any effort to end it.

That would be Trump, who started it and whose demand for an appropriation of funds that is within the sole discretion of Congress renders it an unconstitutional power grab.

That would be Trump, who started it and whose demand for an appropriation of funds that is within the sole discretion of Congress renders it an unconstitutional power grab.

I understand that, but as this things drags out, I am willing to bet you see the number for 'both sides are to blame' start to rise pretty quickly..

I understand that, but as this things drags out, I am willing to bet you see the number for 'both sides are to blame' start to rise pretty quickly..

As federal workers start to hurt more and more it will no longer be a question of who to blame but who is supposed to have the federal worker's backs and who is refusing to give in and thereby prolonging the agony -- the Democrats.

And all over $5 billion. I guarantee that federal workers will not understand why they must suffer so that Pelosi can be stubborn with her idiotic meme of a wall be immoral.

They don't expect Trump to be reasonable, and they don't expect him to have their backs. He's a force of nature.

They don't expect Trump to be reasonable, and they don't expect him to have their backs. He's a force of nature.

Come 2020, very few working people anywhere in this country will expect Trump to have their backs. That con didn’t last very long.

Back
Top Bottom