• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans are lazy protestors.

A rather odd argument to make by a person that participates on a site that requires all posts to be in English, but to each their own. ;)

From "Forum Rules":

"Today our notion of equality has developed far enough that we know that a law saying white is the official race of America would be struck down as unconstitutional,” Perea said. “Well, official English does the same thing, but with language. A classification based on ethnicity should violate the Constitution.”

"But when the government makes English the official language, Perea said, it’s telling millions of Americans that their language is “second class.”

“It’s that change in status that creates inequality,” Perea said. “It sends a message that English is the only acceptable form of American identity, and it basically sanctions a lot of private discrimination. People start expressing a lot of hostility toward languages other than English.”

See reference:Official-English Laws Boost Discrimination, Says UF Law Professor » News » University of Florida

I think it's common sense to note that this is a discussion forum and in order to discuss, you need to speak in the language common to those who engage in discussion...Come on don't insult me with that kind of post.

We're not anti immigrant we're anti illegal imagrant there is a big difference there.

And like I said often times proponents of anti-illegal immigration do not discern the two. The fact remains is included in their argument of anti-illegal immigration is the acclimation of "American culture" such as the primary language immigrants ought to speak should be English (and indirectly see America as their primary and not alongside their former homeland). However the fact remains is that over a period of time there have been people who have come over here since the early 90's, late 80's and 70's (and 60's) illegally. The problem of illegal immigration is more about a growing demographic than actual lawbreakers. Immigration didn't start becoming a real national discussion since the 2007, but prior to that this wasn't a national issue. This is my point, now that there is an inflated population of people from south of the border now we become more involved in the ideology of "breaking the law."

Our lives would be worse without their labors. They didn't cross over to illegal status until we employed them and then couldn't do "without them because we needed their labor. So, they stayed to help us. If they are illegal, does that make us accomplices to their crime?

Our refusal to look them squarely in the eye has brought our country to a stalemate. If we don't acknowledge our role in this problem, there's no way we can solve it. This dilemma is decades old, but it wasn't until 2007 that Congress tackled it."

See Reference:http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_23064895/our-culpability-illegal-immigration-debate

"Today our notion of equality has developed far enough that we know that a law saying white is the official race of America would be struck down as unconstitutional,” Perea said. “Well, official English does the same thing, but with language. A classification based on ethnicity should violate the Constitution.”

"But when the government makes English the official language, Perea said, it’s telling millions of Americans that their language is “second class.”

“It’s that change in status that creates inequality,” Perea said. “It sends a message that English is the only acceptable form of American identity, and it basically sanctions a lot of private discrimination. People start expressing a lot of hostility toward languages other than English.”

See reference:Official-English Laws Boost Discrimination, Says UF Law Professor » News » University of Florida

I think it's common sense to note that this is a discussion forum and in order to discuss, you need to speak in the language common to those who engage in discussion...Come on don't insult me with that kind of post.

That argument is utter nonsense. You cannot ever learn to be different race, but you can certainly learn English (regardless of your race/ethnicity). Should a person be able to demand that they be supplied an interpreter (at taxpayer expense) or that any instructions, documents or ballots be translated into their preferred language? Must they be provided legal council and public educationl instruction by those fluent in their desired language?

Looks to me like the lazy ones are the ones who cross the border illegally instead of fighting to change their corrupt country.

"The last figure released by the Mexican government on the number of dead during its 4 1/2-year, military-led crackdown on organized crime came in January, at just over 34,000. It covered the period from the start of the drug war in December 2006 until the end of 2010."

See Reference:How many have died in Mexico's drug war? - latimes.com

MEXICO CITY – The number of civilians killed in the conflict pitting Mexico’s powerful drug cartels against each other and the security forces soared by 172 percent in the last 12 months, capital daily Reforma said Monday, citing official figures.

“Collateral” deaths of civilians increased from 61 in 2009 to 166 last year, according to the report from the Attorney General’s Office.

The drug war has claimed more than 34,000 lives in Mexico since December 2006, when newly inaugurated President Felipe Calderon gave the military the dominant role in fighting the cartels.

That strategy has turned some Mexican cities – notably Ciudad Juarez, just across the border from El Paso, Texas – into virtual war zones where troops and marines trade fire with cartel gunmen whose arsenals include assault rifles and grenade-launchers.

See Reference:Latin American Herald Tribune - Number of Innocents Killed in Mexico Drug War Up 172%

Yeah they are so lazy that they are just dying from being so lethargic.

That argument is utter nonsense. You cannot ever learn to be different race, but you can certainly learn English (regardless of your race/ethnicity). Should a person be able to demand that they be supplied an interpreter (at taxpayer expense) or that any instructions, documents or ballots be translated into their preferred language? Must they be provided legal council and public educationl instruction by those fluent in their desired language?

Yes you know more than a law professor. You miss the point. The argument is that if you make a particular language "official" you tell other migrants to that homeland that their native tongue is secondary to that of the new homeland. This is true of France. Although many french people speak French, many speak English as well but as I've heard from those who've visited France, many people in France will not speak to you in English and they do so intentionally unless you communicate to them in their language. The point what the professor was saying is that, that is like making White the offical ethnic group of the United States. Making a particular language official therefore by default alienates all other languages. Similarly if Americans (which they have said before) said the U.S is a "white country" this would be unlawful because it is contradictory to the constitution. The same is said about making something an official language, it creates an alienation.

Yeah they are so lazy that they are just dying from being so lethargic.

Allowing yourself to be put in a position where you are nothing but slaves and targets surely isn't bravery.

This could have been stopped decades ago. If the populace had not been lazy then they would never have allowed these drug cartels to become so powerful. They also would not have allowed the government to disarm them they way they did.

And like I said often times proponents of anti-illegal immigration do not discern the two. The fact remains is included in their argument of anti-illegal immigration is the acclimation of "American culture" such as the primary language immigrants ought to speak should be English (and indirectly see America as their primary and not alongside their former homeland). However the fact remains is that over a period of time there have been people who have come over here since the early 90's, late 80's and 70's (and 60's) illegally. The problem of illegal immigration is more about a growing demographic than actual lawbreakers. Immigration didn't start becoming a real national discussion since the 2007, but prior to that this wasn't a national issue. This is my point, now that there is an inflated population of people from south of the border now we become more involved in the ideology of "breaking the law."

Our lives would be worse without their labors. They didn't cross over to illegal status until we employed them and then couldn't do "without them because we needed their labor. So, they stayed to help us. If they are illegal, does that make us accomplices to their crime?

Our refusal to look them squarely in the eye has brought our country to a stalemate. If we don't acknowledge our role in this problem, there's no way we can solve it. This dilemma is decades old, but it wasn't until 2007 that Congress tackled it."

See Reference:Our culpability in the illegal immigration debate - Boulder Daily Camera
I agree with you I don't think we should force people to learn English but I dont think e should spend money on programs in their language either.

I am way hell of a better debator than you but that is a brief non sequitor.

I'm impressed already. Wow. That was awesome. You've got mad skilz, alright.

The issue with people and illegal immigration extends beyond whether immigrants are here legally or illegally as people often interchangably consider anyone non english speaking Latino, an illegal (ig I am wtong demonstrate proof).

Wow. Make a false claim and then insist that in order to refute you, I must prove a negative. Yeah, those are mad skilz, yesirreebob. Mad Skilz.</sarcasm>

Us Americans ARE lazy protesters. We protest while sitting down in lawn chairs for God's sake.

Allowing yourself to be put in a position where you are nothing but slaves and targets surely isn't bravery.

This could have been stopped decades ago. If the populace had not been lazy then they would never have allowed these drug cartels to become so powerful. They also would not have allowed the government to disarm them they way they did.

Can you kindly and in-depth explain how these people are lazy? Enough with the anecdotes I need some substantial evidence that those whom you are demonizing are lazy.

I'm impressed already. Wow. That was awesome. You've got mad skilz, alright.

Wow. Make a false claim and then insist that in order to refute you, I must prove a negative. Yeah, those are mad skilz, yesirreebob. Mad Skilz.</sarcasm>

Alas like the race threads you've continually proven to be a failure. If you are not interested in the thread go elsewhere nobody is keeping you here.

Good luck with that. He's got MadSkilz.

Alas another idiotic attempt at sarcasm from the...well...I wont say the word, enough said "white guilt" has been discussed enough.

I agree with you I don't think we should force people to learn English but I dont think e should spend money on programs in their language either.

In that case then we shouldn't spend money on linguistic welfare for Africans, the French, Mandarin Chinese, or the multitude of other cultures that come here both illegally and legally.

Here is what I personally think....

Like the Sandy Hook shooting or the Batman movie theater shooting, there will be a natural disaster where people will want to discuss on the "how come we didn't prevent this sooner?" Type discussion and I think this time it will be global warming. Most humans today don't care because again a lot of people think local and national problems that don't directly effect them are not a cause for alarm and personal protest. But mark my words another tragedy will happen then people here, offline, and abroad will want to care and discuss the why's and how's of such a tragedy. This is the true example of a lazy American who is disinterested in local and national problems.

Upon reading recent arguments of immigrant reform, I can't help but look at the comments of the various "anti-immigrant" opponents, many people often state: "send them back to Mexico," yet, many Americans often utilize immigrant help, eat immigrant cuisine, and use immigrant products. I have to ask (regarding the immigrant debate) if immigration is such a problem and if many immigrants fail to acclimate to American culture, how come Americans don't protest English being the official language? (Maybe because it's unconstitutional?) Or why don't Americans accept higher prices in produce, fire illegal employees and employ Americans? (Maybe Americans don't want to pay higher taxes on produce and everything else).

Similarly, the welfare issue can be noted in the same argument. Why is it that most Americans get mad at welfare recipients and those who continue to overuse government assistance, why aren't any protest done? Why arenz't Americans organizing themselves in groups to make their voices heard? Why is it that when we as Americans find something invasive to our way of life we cry foul yet do nothing until the problem because immediate to use (e.g terrorism 9/11, recycling, climate change).

In taking the line by Keanu Reeves in "The Earth Stood Still" Klaatu says:

"In the face of chaos (he uses another word similar to this) humans do change"-Or something to that effect. But why do we wait for problems to be immediate to us? Just like immigration, welfare, national security, school shootings, Americans only act when the problem effects them directly.
Same reason everyone else on the planet does the same thing. It's called Bystander Apathy.

Right up to the point where it affects you directly, it's someone else's problem.

Same reason everyone else on the planet does the same thing. It's called Bystander Apathy.

Right up to the point where it affects you directly, it's someone else's problem.

Thanks for the term I've been looking for. "Bystander Apathy" is definitely a very good word.

Can you kindly and in-depth explain how these people are lazy? Enough with the anecdotes I need some substantial evidence that those whom you are demonizing are lazy.

Can you read and understand English?

Can you read and understand English?

I can quite proficiently, just not stupid. Give me enough time on the forum, I'll be able to decipher stupidity in no time.

Back
Top Bottom