• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American woman jailed for 'insulting' United Arab Emirates

When you are in Rome do as the Romans do. Free speech becomes obsolete.
American woman jailed for 'insulting' United Arab Emirates - CSMonitor.com

"The men tried to help me. I had another flight to catch at 1.29am," the American woman told The National. "I refused to engage with them and nothing happened."

This is really all we know about this situation ? We don't know what she said nor why the men were trying to "help" her. It would be interesting to know what exactly got her jailed.

"The men tried to help me. I had another flight to catch at 1.29am," the American woman told The National. "I refused to engage with them and nothing happened."

This is really all we know about this situation ? We don't know what she said nor why the men were trying to "help" her. It would be interesting to know what exactly got her jailed.

There must be more to it to be jailed.

Right because historically, justice and civil rights are way high up there for islamic countries.

You guys are making the terrible assumption of proper treatment and sense of justice in the western government style sense.

Neither exists in the UAE (and just about everywhere else in the Middle East.)

You guys are making the terrible assumption of proper treatment and sense of justice in the western government style sense.

You're most certainly correct. That doesn't change the fact that we don't know what happened. Sure we can assume the woman didn't say anything at all & she was punished anyway because the UAE sucks. We can't be certain however.

In any case, not the best reporting I've read.

Send those visiting the Middle East, to be briefed by US soldiers in Saudi base.

Dang it, americanwoman, couldn't keep your comments to yourself just a little longer. :mrgreen:

When you are in Rome do as the Romans do. Free speech becomes obsolete.
American woman jailed for 'insulting' United Arab Emirates - CSMonitor.com

There is a similar case running between Germany and Turkey, but it is even wittier. A comedian insulted Erdogan with a song that was, in fact, politically very incorrect and would not be legal for children to hear, it is said. According to German law such insult is generally forbidden with a maximum sentence of 2 years, if I remember, but is usually only fined. In the case of a head of state being insulted the punishment is 5 years. What is interesting is that the state prosecutor only prosecutes, if the insulted party requests prosecution and the German government allows it. What might be considered additionally picante is the fact that the broadcast was on public television and it is quite probable that it was signed off on by a controller albeit an internal one. In any event, Erdogan has sued for legal action and is vociferous. Germany is in a bind, as they need the Turks to handle the refugees and the laws are quite clear on the crime and its prosecution. But the voters are incensed that the Turk wants to forbid free expression of opinion in Germany.

There is a similar case running between Germany and Turkey, but it is even wittier. A comedian insulted Erdogan with a song that was, in fact, politically very incorrect and would not be legal for children to hear, it is said. According to German law such insult is generally forbidden with a maximum sentence of 2 years, if I remember, but is usually only fined. In the case of a head of state being insulted the punishment is 5 years. What is interesting is that the state prosecutor only prosecutes, if the insulted party requests prosecution and the German government allows it. What might be considered additionally picante is the fact that the broadcast was on public television and it is quite probable that it was signed off on by a controller albeit an internal one. In any event, Erdogan has sued for legal action and is vociferous. Germany is in a bind, as they need the Turks to handle the refugees and the laws are quite clear on the crime and its prosecution. But the voters are incensed that the Turk wants to forbid free expression of opinion in Germany.
Now *that*, is an interesting sequence of events!

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe/251045-erdogan-getting-hissy-germany-investigates-comedian-over-erdogan-poem.html

A general rule I tell people that travel... don't go to ****ed up country's. Period...

If you do then shut the **** up about being treated poorly because: I told you so.

Basic rule that should be ingrained is "your constitutional rights are not universal"

Free speech becomes obsolete.
Sounds like it's the belief that the freedom of speech applies in a foreign country like the UAE that got the woman in trouble.

Camer☑n;1065767597 said:
Sounds like it's the belief that the freedom of speech applies in a foreign country like the UAE that got the woman in trouble.
Boils down to learning some geography and culture of guest country before you fly there.

Apparently, they didn't like her "tone".

I hadn't seen your post. There are a lot of things going on in Europe that escape notice almost completely in the US.
No prob, I just thought I'd link to it.

The sequence of events has been extended somewhat today. Merkel has announced that her government will permit the courts to prosecute. This could lead to a maximum of 5 years imprisonment. Her coalition partner has said that allowing prosecution under StGB 103 (insult of foreign heads of state) is a mistake and not compatible with a modern democracy and rule of law. What is true is that the statements were no worse than those made about G.W.Bush. Of course, Bush did not request prosecution.
In her explanatory speech Merkel said her government would remove §103 from the books. Normal insult which does not require government intervention, is general and is punishable with only 3 years was not mentioned and will probably remain in the criminal code.

Back
Top Bottom