• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American teenager jailed as “terrorist” for Facebook post.

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Another free speech case on internet this time in USA deemed as terrorist act. Your thoughts?
Justin Carter’s supposedly “terrorist” post was made during a trash-talking session related to the popular online game League of Legends. In response to accusations that he was “crazy” or “messed up in the head,” Justin Carter wrote, “I’m f---ed in the head alright. I think I’ma shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat the beating heart of one of them.” Then he wrote, “j/k” (“just kidding”).
An anonymous person immediately submitted this post to the authorities—presumably out of context—and Justin Carter was arrested at work the following day. A SWAT team later raided his apartment and confiscated his computer, which the authorities claimed contained “violent video games.” A judge vindictively set the bond for his release at $250,000, later increasing it to $500,000, and Justin Carter has remained in prison ever since.
American teenager jailed as

I don't have a problem with the initial arrest, but if it was found that there was no evidence he was actually planning any type of attack, then he should be released immediately IMO. This is a complete violation of his rights if you ask me.

USA = PSA (Police States of America). Police catch juvenile idiots and does not catch the real terrorists. Remember 9.11, Boston .... killing in schools and universities. Bubble of police portrayed as a great feat.

He has been released.

The guys not a terrorist. He's an asshole.

Assholiness is not a crime. Neither is possession of violent video games. We do not have enough prisons to lock up assholes that possess video games.

It does make me wonder how many of those openly advocating murder of those involved in the Zimmerman case will do time. Actually I already know.

The guys not a terrorist. He's an asshole.

You are right, this teen is an asshole for saying stuff like that. He is also an idiot for having said those things, but saying stupid things and having violent online games is not something one should go to jail for.

And violent games? Hundreds of games are violent, it is a fact of life, not an indication of a violent criminal.

Back
Top Bottom