• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

American Pot Head Presidents

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Now i know there are alot of small minded people here who will be reluctant to follow the link but this is a good article and something Americans should be aware of, the History of Cannabis in the United States and the reason it is illegal.

http://www.paranormalnews.com/article.asp?ArticleID=1107

* All schoolbooks were made from hemp or flax paper until the 1880s; Hemp Paper Reconsidered, Jack Frazier, 1974.

* It was LEGAL TO PAY TAXES WITH HEMP in America from 1631 until the early 1800s; LA Times, Aug. 12, 1981.

* REFUSING TO GROW HEMP in America during the 17th and 18th Centuries WAS AGAINST THE LAW! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769; Hemp in Colonial Virginia, G. M. Herdon.

* George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers GREW HEMP; Washington and Jefferson Diaries. Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China to France then to America.

* Benjamin Franklin owned one of the first paper mills in America and it processed hemp. Also, the War of 1812 was fought over hemp. Napoleon wanted to cut off Moscow’s export to England; Emperor Wears No Clothes, Jack Herer.

* For thousands of years, 90% of all ships’ sails and rope were made from hemp. The word ’canvas’ is Dutch for cannabis; Webster’s New World Dictionary.

* 80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until the 1820s with the introduction of the cotton gin.

* The first Bibles, maps, charts, Betsy Ross’s flag, the first drafts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were made from hemp; U.S. Government Archives.

* The first crop grown in many states was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for Kentucky producing 40,000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th Century; State Archives.

* Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China, although hemp industrialization probably goes back to ancient Egypt.

* Rembrants, Gainsboroughs, Van Goghs as well as most early canvas paintings were principally painted on hemp linen.

* In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture

That would be nice dude but c'mon. The model-T Ford being made of hemp?
governmen plans to use hemp for paper? I seriously doubt it.

Plastics, fiberglass, particle board, auto bodies to stealth jet fighter bodies, hemp can be compounded into a form as hard as concrete.

Yes in 1941 Henery ford made a car totally out of Hemp. He was also on the verge of using Hemp Seed oil as a source of fuel for his car.

He once mused how all autos could grow from the earth, and then return to it in such a productive manner. He was a great Ecologist.

Click HERE.

HERE

Ford's oil and gas links.

Click HERE

HERE

HERE

Enjoy the movies.

KMS

That's insane! So then why now is it illegal if it has so many uses?

A report in the Feb issue of Popular Mechanics in 1938 said hemp was to be
the new billion dollar industry. I posted the full article in Economics on this forum site for a re examination.

Quoted from there is the following.

" cost-effective that its cultivation was seen as a threat by petrochemical, textile, paper, and other interests. With the ready assistance of the Hearst newspaper chain, a program of disinformation and hysterical propaganda was foisted upon the public, culminating in the passage of the Marijuana Tax
Act of 1938: Marijuana Prohibition had begun."

The short answer is the other green. Money.

This article was only refering to textiles in the USA, add on top of this the energy uses found since 1938 and the case is even stronger for growing Hemp. Our Government has paid for reports to villanize this poor plant, and their own studies backed the growing of Hemp.

The repeal of the Eighteenth ammendment banning it was repealed, yet only alcohol was un-banned. A mistake in history?

I have contacted LEAP, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, about this issue. The rub is Federal, Exuctive Power controls the DEA, not the people. We can still have armed militia come into our state even with laws of our making. No one can as yet give a logical answer as to why it is illegal.
Maybe the people have not made enough noise yet.

KMS

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the year hemp became illegal was the same year Dupont invented the nylon rope.

Interesting fact about Du Pont, the company originally listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1925, the year they invented Nylon. Du Pont was off the Stock Exchange in 1928, the cordage or hemp companies stayed. Re entering the Market in 1930, Du Pont is now a billionaire, because hemp was banned. Du Pont also make money by manufacturing and shipping the chemicals needed to made wood pulp paper.

Du Pont and Company would stand to lose billions if Hemp were to be legalized. Americans could only gain a cleaner enviorment, cheaper products, and more jobs, how can we loose.

KMS

Last edited:
From The Hemp Society:
http://www.rso.cornell.edu/hempsociety/why.html

One hundred and twenty five years ago, fiber hemp made up 80% of the economy. It was used to make paper, lamp oil, clothing, rope, etc. It was simply the most profitable plant to grow. But as Marijuana (cannabis hemp) use became more and more prevalent and yellow journalism linked it to more and more murders, car accidents and violence (especially among minorities), cannabis and fiber hemp were both outlawed in 1937 (the same year DuPont came out with Nylon, a petroleum-based fiber). Hemp was banned from the United States until 1942, when demand for rope and fiber by the Navy grew high during WWII. The U.S.'s supply of imported hemp from Japan and Manila were now cut off, and the federal government again legalized the cultivation of hemp. In fact, they even subsidized it and made a short film called "Hemp for Victory", urging American farmers to grow it. But as the war was coming to a close, the government flip-flopped, and banned it within 5 minutes at a congressional hearing.

Now, it just doesn't have the corporate lobbyist backing to be reinstated fully as an alternative or competitor to other industrialized textiles. Brings to mind how 'old school' thinking pervades and stifles true innovation in this country.

Du Pont and Company would stand to lose billions if Hemp were to be legalized. Americans could only gain a cleaner enviorment, cheaper products, and more jobs, how can we loose.

Thats spot on, hemp is illegal for the reason stated above, i am sure however Dupont is not the only corporation that benefits from the laws preventing cannabis/hemp cultivation.

I also think the outlawing of cannabis has led to a decrease in general insight and spiritual growth among the population of democratic governments.

RightatNYU said:
right.

****ing stoners.....

Let's see, there have been valid points presented and they have been cited.

And that's the best rebuttal you can come up with?

When the "stoners" put forth facts, a better line of reasoning, and do it more articulately than you, maybe you should think about starting to smoke...

MrFungus420 said:
Let's see, there have been valid points presented and they have been cited.

And that's the best rebuttal you can come up with?

When the "stoners" put forth facts, a better line of reasoning, and do it more articulately than you, maybe you should think about starting to smoke...

Oh, I smoke. I'm just being a dick.

Originally posted by Galenrox:
Man, you get revved up pretty easily for a stoner.

Anyway about it, anyone with even the slightest grasp on logic agrees that weed should be legal.
Of all the Presidents, which one deserves to get the hemp vote?

I hate to say it, but it should be Bush. Because he admitted to inhaling.

Originally posted by RightatNYU:
Oh, I smoke. I'm just being a dick.
You'll always be a dick in my eyes, even if you didn't smoke.

That didn't sound right. I'm so confused...

That didn't sound right either.

F_ck this sh!t...

Excuse me but Hemp can not get you stoned or high, Hemp produces only a killer headache when smoked. This is because of the low THC this plant contains.

Thus Hemp proponets are not stoners. Dude. Simple small farmers such as myself, tired of using chemical pesticides and fertilizers around my childrens home. My family could make up to 2,700 an acre from growing Hemp.

This would take my family off medicare, and other social programs we currently use to make ends met. All we are saying is growing Hemp could save you money as well.

The attack on such people as myself and others only shows the unwillingness of the brainewashed to actually look at the facts. Which I can see by your response, I can see you never even did.

So how is a Hemp grower a bleeping Stoner again?

Oops, I just saw your admiting to partaking of the good plant, however this is the most obstinate hurdle to overcome, this "Stoner" persona. Even if stoned, the facts make sense and more people need to know it.

KMS

Last edited:
Originally posted by CaliNORML:
Excuse me but Hemp can not get you stoned or high, Hemp produces only a killer headache when smoked. This is because of the low THC this plant contains.

Thus Hemp proponets are not stoners. Dude. Simple small farmers such as myself, tired of using chemical pesticides and fertilizers around my childrens home. My family could make up to 2,700 an acre from growing Hemp.

This would take my family off medicare, and other social programs we currently use to make ends met. All we are saying is growing Hemp could save you money as well.

The attack on such people as myself and others only shows the unwillingness of the brainewashed to actually look at the facts. Which I can see by your response, I can see you never even did.

So how is a Hemp grower a bleeping Stoner again?

Oops, I just saw your admiting to partaking of the good plant, however this is the most obstinate hurdle to overcome, this "Stoner" persona. Even if stoned, the facts make sense and more people need to know it.
Who the hell are you talking too?

Billo_Really said:
Who the hell are you talking too?

Mea culpa.

I should have read my entire email first it was that label that got to me.

I was addressing the laber and if this is a way to tell me, "use quote ya goof!!!"
Point taken.

KMS

Originally posted by CaliNORML:
Mea culpa.

I should have read my entire email first it was that label that got to me.

I was addressing the laber and if this is a way to tell me, "use quote ya goof!!!"
Point taken.

KMS
I'm still not sure if you answered my question. Did you?

RightatNYU said:
right.

****ing stoners.....

It was this post I was replying to :doh

OK Billo I admit I have blonde moments, alot. Are you gonna pick me often? Cause ya do fluster me.

Thanks.

KMS

Originally posted by CaliNORML
It was this one I was replying to

OK Billo I admit I have blonde moments, alot. Are you gonna pick me often? Cause ya do fluster me.

Thanks KMS
Not really, I think were on the same side.

Billo_Really said:
Not really, I think were on the same side.

:thanks: nice to know I am not so alone in my madness.

Feel free to offer me any advice, just don't crush me, please. LOL.

KMS

nice to know I am not so alone in my madness.

Feel free to offer me any advice, just don't crush me, please. LOL.

KMS
Right now I'm learning from you. Your posts are very well thought out and enlightening. I'm more of a problem with the neo's.

Now I am just all flustered and twitterpatted:blushing2

See I knew you were trouble, at least for me.

KMS

Now I am just all flustered and twitterpatted

See I knew you were trouble, at least for me.

KMS
You'll feel better after you grow an acre of hemp.

Du Pont and Hearst were most certainly 2 of the 3 main anti-hemp drivers but the third was at least as important if not more so. Carnegie-Mellon bank. The main bankers for both the previous companies, and a major stockholder in both. Our first Drug Czar, Harry J. Anshlinger (sp?) was the nephew of the President of C-M Bank.

Back
Top Bottom