• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Partisanship According to South Park

Mustachio

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
For those of you who are not easily offended, I highly suggest you take the time to watch South Park's "I'm a Little Bit Country" episode. NSFW or anybody who's easily offended... by just about anything. The premise of the episode is that protesters of the Iraq war (the episode is from April, 2003) are pitted against anti-protest protesters. Meanwhile, the boys' teacher assigns them to write an essay about what the founding fathers would think about protesting the war if they were around today and one of the boys goes back in time to fulfill the requirements of the assignment.

The argument that the episode ultimately makes is brilliant IMHO. The idea is that without conservatives (a little bit country) we would be walked all over by international interests and without liberals (a little bit rock and roll) we would do horrible things both at home and abroad and the rest of the world would hate us. Ultimately, they comment on what the founding fathers would say about the Iraq war protesters: go ahead and protest to make it look like America isn't as brutal and empirical as our leadership's actions imply.

Interesting commentary for a cartoon, to say the least.

there is a book out called "South Park Conservatives" which argues that their satire is actually indicative of a rising generations' political mindset.

Any valid point South park actually makes generally gets swallowed up by the annoyingly stupid comedy and crappy jokes.

South Party has always had a Libertarian bent to it and doesnt shy away from Political commentary. Plus both busy body liberals and bible thumper moralist busy body conservatives hate it which makes me happy.

South Party has always had a Libertarian bent to it and doesnt shy away from Political commentary. Plus both busy body liberals and bible thumper moralist busy body conservatives hate it which makes me happy.

I think the height of their libertarian episodes was the era of Bush's second presidency, but since then they seem a little bit more disgusted by the idea of politics in general. As to pissing off the extreme partisans on both sides: amen.

Back
Top Bottom