• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

American Moral Supremacy

SSlightning said:
No you idiot, I stated that by only intervening on certain occasions and not others makes us look bad. It would be different if every time something went wrong in the world we went to the rescue, but no that is hardly the case. Just like I pointed out before, the United States has not deamed certain incidents genocide when the UN has, so there both wrong. But at least the UN has a vote of what the world leaders want to accomplish, not just the US saying this is how things are gonna be and everyone better like it or else.

Bullshit we intervene in Kosovo and we're imperialists we don't intervene in the Sudan and we support genocide, people are going to hate us no matte what we do. You think that if we don't help everyone then we shouldn't help anyone? What a ridiculous assessment of foriegn policy. And again the United States is the only nation on the face of the earth which recognized what is going on in the Sudan is genocide. Collin Powell went in front of the U.N. and pleaded for them to intercede but instead they put the Sudan on the Human Rights Commission so that they would be exempt from investigation and U.N. intervention. And this is the corrupt organization that you want to intrust with the fate of the world? Gimme a break.
All I want to know is how has the United States bettered mankind? because thats to fague of a statement to argue.

We defeated Fascism and Communism for starters. Never in the history of the world has so much prosperity been shared by so many people world wide. Never in the history of the world has there been more Democratic nations than tyrannical ones and this all stems from the U.S. Not one country on the face of the plannet gives more money in foriegn aid then the U.S. and our evil capitalist system of free trade and open markets. The list goes on.

More of this bs "we are the master race and better then everone else" crap. I mean seriously do you know how much you sound like Nazis when you go in declaring we are the superiors and what we say is right because we are capable of enforcing it with sheer force?

Oh so now supporting the overthrow of tyrants and despots is akin to Nazi Germany? Wow you're a lost cause. You're a moral reletavist. For you to say that we are not morally superior to say Saddam Hussein is quite simply a ridiculous assessment. What we say isn't right because we enforce it with sheer force what we say is right is right because it just is.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Bullshit we intervene in Kosovo and we're imperialists we don't intervene in the Sudan and we support genocide, people are going to hate us no matte what we do. You think that if we don't help everyone then we shouldn't help anyone? What a ridiculous assessment of foriegn policy. And again the United States is the only nation on the face of the earth which recognized what is going on in the Sudan is genocide. Collin Powell went in front of the U.N. and pleaded for them to intercede but instead they put the Sudan on the Human Rights Commission so that they would be exempt from investigation and U.N. intervention. And this is the corrupt organization that you want to intrust with the fate of the world? Gimme a break.

We defeated Fascism and Communism for starters. Never in the history of the world has so much prosperity been shared by so many people world wide. Never in the history of the world has there been more Democratic nations than tyrannical ones and this all stems from the U.S. Not one country on the face of the plannet gives more money in foriegn aid then the U.S. and our evil capitalist system of free trade and open markets. The list goes on.

Oh so now supporting the overthrow of tyrants and despots is akin to Nazi Germany? Wow you're a lost cause. You're a moral reletavist. For you to say that we are not morally superior to say Saddam Hussein is quite simply a ridiculous assessment. What we say isn't right because we enforce it with sheer force what we say is right is right because it just is.

yet you still deam it unnecessary to acknoledge what happened in Somalia as genocide right? Because that's what the US did there, no acknoledge it, they made sure to evacuate any US citizen, but any one that was gonna be slaughter, hell no.

What about you or anyone has the right to say which governments are acceptable and which are not? Seriously, do you think that facism and communism just came around because a few people wanted to take over a country NO, it never would have happened then. You dont even know if there bad or not, have you ever lived in either one? Probraly not, all you know is what this government tells you about those governments. They got people to believe in their idea, and as long as a good amount of people believe in it, it will exsist. I just dont see an entire nation being against the leader and them not doing anything about it. Soldiers aren't robots, their citizens to, and if it was so unfair and unjust they would be part of the revolt. And about all that aid, I would like you to tell me how many countries poverty level has decreased because of US aid?

I am not saying that we shouldn't do nothing or everything, we should not overpass our boundries as a nation. We dont have the right to tell other countries what to do, as I dont have the right to tell you how to think and vice versa. We should only act when it affects us.

SSlightning said:
yet you still deam it unnecessary to acknoledge what happened in Somalia as genocide right? Because that's what the US did there, no acknoledge it, they made sure to evacuate any US citizen, but any one that was gonna be slaughter, hell no.

You're thinking of the Sudan not Somalia you really ought to get your countries straight son. We went into Somalia on a humanitarian aid mission and only left when they started dragging the naked bodies of American soldiers through the streets and it wasn't genocide it was famine. As for the Sudan we are the only country in the world that acknowledged it again Collin Powell went to the U.N. called it genocide and pleaded for them to intercede but intercede they did not they put the Sudan on the Human Rights Commission so as to exempt them from intervention and investigation.

What about you or anyone has the right to say which governments are acceptable and which are not? Seriously, do you think that facism and communism just came around because a few people wanted to take over a country NO, it never would have happened then. You dont even know if there bad or not, have you ever lived in either one? Probraly not, all you know is what this government tells you about those governments. They got people to believe in their idea, and as long as a good amount of people believe in it, it will exsist. I just dont see an entire nation being against the leader and them not doing anything about it. Soldiers aren't robots, their citizens to, and if it was so unfair and unjust they would be part of the revolt.

I'm sorry I simply can't believe that you questioned whether or not Communism and Fascism were bad ideologies. OMFG, I can't stop laughing at that one. Catch a clue!!!

And about all that aid, I would like you to tell me how many countries poverty level has decreased because of US aid?

Mexico when their economy tanked Clinton gave them a bail out which brought them out of their recession.
I am not saying that we shouldn't do nothing or everything, we should not overpass our boundries as a nation. We dont have the right to tell other countries what to do, as I dont have the right to tell you how to think and vice versa. We should only act when it affects us.

We don't have the right to remove tyrants from power?

Look here, Saddam Hussein took power by force, he maintained that power through the use of force and the brutal repression of his citizenry. So who the hell are you to say that an outside power doesn't have the right to remove him by force?

Sir_Alec said:
Im all for taking down terrorists and dictatorships but the war against terror was undertaken improperly. And if were so moral why didn't we save Rwanda from genocide? Sudan from the civil war? The Philippines? Do we not take away rights from our minorities to this day. Does the gov't do everything out or moral duty or the money and power thats to be made?

Ask the Democrat that was in charge. Republicans fight for freedom, Democrats are the ones who fly to Cuba to defend Castro and defend the U.N. for kicking us off the human rights comittee in exchange for third world butchers.

And the only actual, constitutional rights we are taking from Americans these days are whites, men, and Christians.

And no, I am not saying that America does or should operate purely out of morality. We should act out of our own best interest to the extent solid morality allows, which we are-as long as we are not being run by Democrats.

SSlightning said:
1) The United States does not act upon morals, if this was so then genocides that took place in Somalia for example would have been stopped. But no, we didnt stop that genocide did we?

2) The US has no right to tell other countries how they should be run.

3) Leave the policing the the police (aka the UN), otherwise we just end up looking like vigilantes and hypocrytes because we only respond to certain situations.

4) The whole idea of us being morally superior and miltarily superior has alot to do with why alot of people in the world dislike our country. We have no basis to support either of those claims that our morals are better then everyone else much less our military.

1) See my post from 2:11 p.m., last paragraph.

2) We do. We are the only one carrying the big stick these days and that gives us both the right and the responsibility to do something about oppression and genocide.

3) There has never been a more ineffective, incompetent police force in the history of the world than the U.N. They need to restrict their activities to what they are good at-humanitarian missions, and leave peace-making to those of us with the means and the judgment to carry it out.

4) Militarily superior? We are. That's a demonstrable fact. And if you can't see moral supremacy in a country with liberty over a genocidal terror-sponsor like Saddam, you are blind, dishonest, or stupid.

G-Man said:
Biggest danger to europe? Well several millions would argue that was the Nazis (not the Soviets) if they could. As for reducing the danger - the fallout of WW2 was the cold war - ever heard of it?

You are submitting the very common knowledge of history confirmed by millions.
In reality Stalin was preparing blitzkrieg in Europe which was going to be
devastating for the Western civilisation. Stalin’s war machine well exceeded all the military of the world in 1941.
By his suicidal attack (preemptive strike) on Stalin, Hitler reduced Stalin’s military capability by at least 80% within 1 or 2 months. With his all regular army perished or captured, all his trained field commanders perished or captured, almost all his military industry captured and turned against him, Stalin was able to stall Hitler’s blitzkrieg in 2 months and in 3 more months to turn the tides and capture a half of Europe, install Communism in China, and if it was not for nukes, would apparently make Japan speak Russian. So, what was the original power of Stalin? What was his plan for Europe?

It is not a conspiracy theory. If you take labor to compare technical data and amount of Stalin’s weapons and industrial production of the weaponry before 1941 – one by one – you will be shocked. You can do it just analyzing the common sources, if you do it yourself without looking at comments.
And this is just the very tip of the iceberg. If you continue to look at everything which constitutes the military strength – you will be dead.
If you looked at the whole iceberg, you understanding of the 20th century would change a lot. For instance you would have another understanding about how Hitler took power. You would change the date when WWII started, and cold war etc.
And you would have to explain to yourself why you are deceived by the common knowledge.

aquapub said:
1) See my post from 2:11 p.m., last paragraph.

2) We do. We are the only one carrying the big stick these days and that gives us both the right and the responsibility to do something about oppression and genocide.

3) There has never been a more ineffective, incompetent police force in the history of the world than the U.N. They need to restrict their activities to what they are good at-humanitarian missions, and leave peace-making to those of us with the means and the judgment to carry it out.

4) Militarily superior? We are. That's a demonstrable fact. And if you can't see moral supremacy in a country with liberty over a genocidal terror-sponsor like Saddam, you are blind, dishonest, or stupid.

Then why don't/didn't we go and help Africa in all of its dictatorships and genocides. And why not step in and help end religiously motivated civil war in the southern Philippines or any of the other war or dictatorship in the pacific. I mean, we did send troops to Bosnia, Iraq, Somalia, and haiti, but we didn't send troops to the most violent genocide since the Holocaust. Keep in mind that only 8000 were killed in Bosnia compared to Rwanda's 800,000+.

Sir_Alec said:
Then why don't/didn't we go and help Africa in all of its dictatorships and genocides. And why not step in and help end religiously motivated civil war in the southern Philippines or any of the other war or dictatorship in the pacific. I mean, we did send troops to Bosnia, Iraq, Somalia, and haiti, but we didn't send troops to the most violent genocide since the Holocaust. Keep in mind that only 8000 were killed in Bosnia compared to Rwanda's 800,000+.
Because YOU don't make the decisions...

cnredd said:
Because YOU don't make the decisions...

Thanks God, he doesn't. I cannot even imagine all the nightmare.:doh

justone said:
Last I checked, every country in the world is free to solve any of the world's problem areas he's mentioned...When he says, "Why doesn't the US get involved HERE?", you can easily substitute France, Germany, Russia, China, or any number of countries...

In fact, the last time the US DIDN'T get involved and let other countries take the lead was with the negotiations with Iran over nuclear technology which was initiated years ago...

How'd that turn out?...

justone said:

So you're gonna tell me that not helping Rwanda is a good thing?

Originally posted by aquapub:
Oscar Schindler would disagree with you.
Well hallelujah, you finally come back with a valid rebuttal. Good one. This one got my respect.

Defied the U.N. for more than a decade.

Whereas (for instance) Israel has defied it since 1948. Whereas we might have defied it any number of times were it not for our security council veto power.

sheltered terrorists like Abbu Abbas and had loose ties to Bin Laden according to the 9/11 Commission.

Loose ties to Bin Laden were extremely loose--Saddam and Bin Laden hated each other.

used WMD to commit genocide, proving both that he had them and that he was willing to use them.

A study by the U.S. war college concluded that Iran was responsible for the gassings in Halabja. It's a matter of historical record that we incited the Kurds to rebellion in '73 and '75, only to fail to support them both times (after promising to do so).

If we're talking about American moral superiority here, it's also a matter of record that:

1) We killed 250,000 Guatemalans in 1954 because they kicked United Fruit out of their country for horrible labor practices. We had to have our cheap bananas (this, incidentally, is the origin of the phrase "banana republic".

2) We commissioned to be killed 100,000 Indonesian Communists in 1964.

3) We commissioned to be killed an unknown number of Iranians in 1953-1979; the number is north of 100,000.

4) We killed or commissioned to be killed an unknown number of Latin Americans in operation Condor; the number may be as high as 1 million though more likely around a hundred thousand.

Etc. So how does this make us morally superior to virtually anybody outside the Joseph Stalins and Pol Pots of the world?

-routinely fired off missiles into the city streets of at a nuclear power and our ally, Israel.

I thought he only fired them while we were planning to invade. I didn't know it was something he did on a schedule.

attacked Iran without provocation.

Originally, he was chasing Kurdish rebels across the border; rebels that, incidentally, we encouraged.

attacked Kuwait without provocation.

Saddam's main pretext was three pronged, one of which doesn't bear mentioning. The other two, however, do:

1) He accussed Kuwait of slant-drilling into the Rumailah oil field. We can't prove this, though it was reported in the London Observer in October of 1990. They claimed to have verification. What is known and documented is that the Rumailah oil field showed a huge dip in production at that time. But it is possible that he simply shut the flow off in order to be able to claim slant drilling.

2) Iraq owed Kuwait quite a bit of money. Kuwait had financed Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war because Kuwait didn't like Iran at all. Saddam expected, since he had performed a service for Kuwait (something the Kuwaitis agreed to), for the Kuwaitis to be flexible on letting him pay it back. Note that he wasn't trying to get out of the debt; he just wanted to set up a payment plan. Not only did the Kuwaitis refuse, they increased their production of oil beyond their allowed OPEC quota in an effort to drive prices down (we're now all going to suffer for this as the Burgan field goes into catastrophic decline and Kuwaiti reserves turn out to be about a third of what they were claiming--when gas hits $5.00 at the pump this summer, just consider that had we let Saddam take Kuwait, that'd probably not happen). They were waging economic warfare against Iraq by demanding immediate payment and at the same time crippling Iraq's ability to pay; it is incidentally for this reason that the idea of Saddam shutting off Rumaila and then waiting nearly 2 years to invade Kuwait while sending any number of diplomatic missions seems absurd. The imminently more likely explanation is that they were slant drilling and stealing the oil he needed to pay his debts to them.

Saddam did what any head of state would do in that situation. He tried diplomacy, and when that failed, he invaded. Of some interest is the fact that Marcy Glaspie, our abassador at the time, told him that we had no interest whether he attacked Kuwait or not. What's held back from the American public about that whole thing is that he followed a respectable protocol prior to invasion, but the Kuwaitis, seeing an opportunity to gain Rumaila and possibly other Iraqi assets for themselves, trusting in Saudi promises of protection (and by extension, the U.S.), defied decency and gave Iraq the shaft.

-attacked Saudi Arabia.

I wasn't aware that Saddam had attacked SA.

ashurbanipal said:
Whereas (for instance) Israel has defied it since 1948. Whereas we might have defied it any number of times were it not for our security council veto power.

Yes, America and Iraq are moral equivalents. :roll:

Last time I checked, we weren't "defying the U.N." by refusing to let them inspect and disarm us to prevent more genocide and warmongering.

Liberals, this is your cue to start making lame assertions about Hiroshima being genocide and America being just as bad as Saddam (except for the fact that we always seem to be doing what we do to RID the world of tyrants instead of to BE the tyrant).

Aquapub,

Instead of cherry picking to try to make a case (and you didn't even do so well at that), try making a response to the entire post. Any reasonable person who read your post and then read mine would see that I've already replied to your practically insignificant quip. So, if you have the intellectual wherewithal, give it another shot. Otherwise, you haven't said anything not already adressed by my post.

Yes Indeed the U.S. is a good-old boy when it comes to morals.

Eisenhower establishes Office of Public Safety to train Latin American police forces.
! 1959
Fidel Castro takes power in Cuba. Several months earlier he had undertaken a triumphal tour through the U.S., which included a CIA briefing on the Red menace.
"Castro's continued tawdry little melodrama of invasion." --Time, of Castro's warnings of an imminent U.S. invasion
Eisenhower authorizes covert actions to get rid of Castro. Among other things, the CIA tries assassinating him with exploding cigars and poisoned milkshakes. Other covert actions against Cuba include burning sugar fields, blowing up boats in Cuban harbors, and sabotaging industrial equipment.
The Canal Zone becomes the focus of U.S. counterinsurgency training.
A new junta in El Salvador promises free elections; Eisenhower, fearing leftist tendencies, withholds recognition. A more attractive right-wing counter-coup comes along in three months.
"Governments of the civil-military type of El Salvador are the most effective in containing communist penetration in Latin America." --John F. Kennedy, after the coup
Guatemalan officers attempt to overthrow the regime of Presidente Fuentes; Eisenhower stations warships and 2000 Marines offshore while Fuentes puts down the revolt. [Another source says that the U.S. provided air support for Fuentes.]
1960s
U.S. Green Berets train Guatemalan army in counterinsurgency techniques. Guatemalan efforts against its insurgents include aerial bombing, scorched-earth assaults on towns suspected of aiding the rebels, and death squads, which killed 20,000 people between 1966 and 1976. U.S. Army Col. John Webber claims that it was at his instigation that "the technique of counter-terror had been implemented by the army."
"If it is necessary to turn the country into a cemetary in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so." --President Carlos Arana Osorio
U.S. organizes force of 1400 anti-Castro Cubans, ships it to the Bahía de los Cochinos. Castro's army routs it.
CIA-backed coup overthrows elected Pres. J. M. Velasco Ibarra of Ecuador, who has been too friendly with Cuba.
CIA engages in campaign in Brazil to keep João Goulart from achieving control of Congress.
CIA-backed coup overthrows elected social democrat Juan Bosch in the Dominican Republic.
A far-right-wing coup in Guatemala, apparently U.S.-supported, forestalls elections in which "extreme leftist" Juan José Arévalo was favored to win.
"It is difficult to develop stable and democratic government [in Guatemala], because so many of the nation's Indians are illiterate and superstitious." --School textbook, 1964
João Goulart of Brazil proposes agrarian reform, nationalization of oil. Ousted by U.S.-supported military coup.
! 1964
The free market in Nicaragua:
The Somoza family controls "about one-tenth of the cultivable land in Nicaragua, and just about everything else worth owning, the country's only airline, one television station, a newspaper, a cement plant, textile mill, several sugar refineries, half-a-dozen breweries and distilleries, and a Mercedes-Benz agency." --Life World Library
A coup in the Dominican Republic attempts to restore Bosch's government. The U.S. invades and occupies the country to stop this "Communist rebellion," with the help of the dictators of Brazil, Paraguay, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
"Representative democracy cannot work in a country such as the Dominican Republic," Bosch declares later. Now why would he say that?
U.S. sends arms, advisors, and Green Berets to Guatemala to implement a counterinsurgency campaign.
"To eliminate a few hundred guerrillas, the government killed perhaps 10,000 Guatemalan peasants." --State Dept. report on the program
A team of Green Berets is sent to Bolivia to help find and assassinate Che Guevara.
Gen. José Alberto Medrano, who is on the payroll of the CIA, organizes the ORDEN paramilitary force, considered the precursor of El Salvador's death squads.
! 1970
In this year (just as an example), U.S. investments in Latin America earn $1.3 billion; while new investments total $302 million.
Salvador Allende Gossens elected in Chile. Suspends foreign loans, nationalizes foreign companies. For the phone system, pays ITT the company's minimized valuation for tax purposes. The CIA provides covert financial support for Allende's opponents, both during and after his election.
U.S. stands by as military suspends an election in El Salvador in which centrist José Napoleón Duarte was favored to win. (Compare with the emphasis placed on the 1982 elections.)
U.S.-supported military coup kills Allende and brings Augusto Pinochet Ugarte to power. Pinochet imprisons well over a hundred thousand Chileans (torture and rape are the usual methods of interrogation), terminates civil liberties, abolishes unions, extends the work week to 48 hours, and reverses Allende's land reforms.
Military takes power in Uruguay, supported by U.S. The subsequent repression reportedly features the world's highest percentage of the population imprisoned for political reasons.
Office of Public Safety is abolished when it is revealed that police are being taught torture techniques.
! 1976
Election of Jimmy Carter leads to a new emphasis on human rights in Central America. Carter cuts off aid to the Guatemalan military (or tries to; some slips through) and reduces aid to El Salvador.
! 1979
Ratification of the Panama Canal treaty which is to return the Canal to Panama by 1999.
"Once again, Uncle Sam put his tail between his legs and crept away rather than face trouble." --Ronald Reagan
A right-wing junta takes over in El Salvador. U.S. begins massively supporting El Salvador, assisting the military in its fight against FMLN guerrillas. Death squads proliferate; Archbishop Romero is assassinated by right-wing terrorists; 35,000 civilians are killed in 1978-81. The rape and murder of four U.S. churchwomen results in the suspension of U.S. military aid for one month.
The U.S. demands that the junta undertake land reform. Within 3 years, however, the reform program is halted by the oligarchy.
"The Soviet Union underlies all the unrest that is going on." --Ronald Reagan
U.S., seeking a stable base for its actions in El Salvador and Nicaragua, tells the Honduran military to clean up its act and hold elections. The U.S. starts pouring in $100 million of aid a year and basing the contras on Honduran territory.
Death squads are also active in Honduras, and the contras tend to act as a state within a state.
The CIA steps in to organize the contras in Nicaragua, who started the previous year as a group of 60 ex-National Guardsmen; by 1985 there are about 12,000 of them. 46 of the 48 top military leaders are ex-Guardsmen. The U.S. also sets up an economic embargo of Nicaragua and pressures the IMF and the World Bank to limit or halt loans to Nicaragua.
Gen. Torrijos of Panama is killed in a plane crash. There is a suspicion of CIA involvement, due to Torrijos' nationalism and friendly relations with Cuba.
A coup brings Gen. Efraín Ríos Montt to power in Guatemala, and gives the Reagan administration the opportunity to increase military aid. Ríos Montt's evangelical beliefs do not prevent him from accelerating the counterinsurgency campaign.
Another coup in Guatemala replaces Ríos Montt. The new President, Oscar Mejía Víctores, was trained by the U.S. and seems to have cleared his coup beforehand with U.S. authorities.
U.S. troops take over tiny Granada. Rather oddly, it intervenes shortly after a coup has overthrown the previous, socialist leader. One of the justifications for the action is the building of a new airport with Cuban help, which Granada claimed was for tourism and Reagan argued was for Soviet use. Later the U.S. announces plans to finish the airport... to develop tourism.
Boland Amendment prohibits CIA and Defense Dept. from spending money to overthrow the government of Nicaragua-- a law the Reagan administration cheerfully violates.
CIA mines three Nicaraguan harbors. Nicaragua takes this action to the World Court, which brings an $18 billion judgment against the U.S. The U.S. refuses to recognize the Court's jurisdiction in the case.
U.S. spends $10 million to orchestrate elections in El Salvador-- something of a farce, since left-wing parties are under heavy repression, and the military has already declared that it will not answer to the elected president.
U.S. invades Panama to dislodge CIA boy gone wrong Manuel Noriega, an event which marks the evolution of the U.S.'s favorite excuse from Communism to drugs.
The U.S. battles global Communism by extending most-favored-nation trading status for China, and tightening the trade embargo on Castro's Cuba.

aquapub said:
Ask the Democrat that was in charge. Republicans fight for freedom, Democrats are the ones who fly to Cuba to defend Castro and defend the U.N. for kicking us off the human rights comittee in exchange for third world butchers.

And the only actual, constitutional rights we are taking from Americans these days are whites, men, and Christians.

And no, I am not saying that America does or should operate purely out of morality. We should act out of our own best interest to the extent solid morality allows, which we are-as long as we are not being run by Democrats.

Let me guess. You are a man? You are white? You are christain? How have white people ever had their rights taken away on purpose. Why don't you read a few books on civil rights and racism. And last time I checked most democrats don't defend Castro.

Simon W. Moon said:
Does consent gained through fraud or misrespresentation count toward legitimacy?
Fraud is implied in your question, so you force an argument on your terms.

Davo said:
Yes Indeed the U.S. is a good-old boy when it comes to morals.

Eisenhower establishes Office of Public Safety to train Latin American police forces.
! 1959
Fidel Castro takes power in Cuba. Several months earlier he had undertaken a triumphal tour through the U.S., which included a CIA briefing on the Red menace.
"Castro's continued tawdry little melodrama of invasion." --Time, of Castro's warnings of an imminent U.S. invasion
Eisenhower authorizes covert actions to get rid of Castro. Among other things, the CIA tries assassinating him with exploding cigars and poisoned milkshakes. Other covert actions against Cuba include burning sugar fields, blowing up boats in Cuban harbors, and sabotaging industrial equipment.
The Canal Zone becomes the focus of U.S. counterinsurgency training.
A new junta in El Salvador promises free elections; Eisenhower, fearing leftist tendencies, withholds recognition. A more attractive right-wing counter-coup comes along in three months.
"Governments of the civil-military type of El Salvador are the most effective in containing communist penetration in Latin America." --John F. Kennedy, after the coup
Guatemalan officers attempt to overthrow the regime of Presidente Fuentes; Eisenhower stations warships and 2000 Marines offshore while Fuentes puts down the revolt. [Another source says that the U.S. provided air support for Fuentes.]
1960s
U.S. Green Berets train Guatemalan army in counterinsurgency techniques. Guatemalan efforts against its insurgents include aerial bombing, scorched-earth assaults on towns suspected of aiding the rebels, and death squads, which killed 20,000 people between 1966 and 1976. U.S. Army Col. John Webber claims that it was at his instigation that "the technique of counter-terror had been implemented by the army."
"If it is necessary to turn the country into a cemetary in order to pacify it, I will not hesitate to do so." --President Carlos Arana Osorio
U.S. organizes force of 1400 anti-Castro Cubans, ships it to the Bahía de los Cochinos. Castro's army routs it.
CIA-backed coup overthrows elected Pres. J. M. Velasco Ibarra of Ecuador, who has been too friendly with Cuba.
CIA engages in campaign in Brazil to keep João Goulart from achieving control of Congress.
CIA-backed coup overthrows elected social democrat Juan Bosch in the Dominican Republic.
A far-right-wing coup in Guatemala, apparently U.S.-supported, forestalls elections in which "extreme leftist" Juan José Arévalo was favored to win.
"It is difficult to develop stable and democratic government [in Guatemala], because so many of the nation's Indians are illiterate and superstitious." --School textbook, 1964
João Goulart of Brazil proposes agrarian reform, nationalization of oil. Ousted by U.S.-supported military coup.
! 1964
The free market in Nicaragua:
The Somoza family controls "about one-tenth of the cultivable land in Nicaragua, and just about everything else worth owning, the country's only airline, one television station, a newspaper, a cement plant, textile mill, several sugar refineries, half-a-dozen breweries and distilleries, and a Mercedes-Benz agency." --Life World Library
A coup in the Dominican Republic attempts to restore Bosch's government. The U.S. invades and occupies the country to stop this "Communist rebellion," with the help of the dictators of Brazil, Paraguay, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
"Representative democracy cannot work in a country such as the Dominican Republic," Bosch declares later. Now why would he say that?
U.S. sends arms, advisors, and Green Berets to Guatemala to implement a counterinsurgency campaign.
"To eliminate a few hundred guerrillas, the government killed perhaps 10,000 Guatemalan peasants." --State Dept. report on the program
A team of Green Berets is sent to Bolivia to help find and assassinate Che Guevara.
Gen. José Alberto Medrano, who is on the payroll of the CIA, organizes the ORDEN paramilitary force, considered the precursor of El Salvador's death squads.
! 1970
In this year (just as an example), U.S. investments in Latin America earn $1.3 billion; while new investments total $302 million.
Salvador Allende Gossens elected in Chile. Suspends foreign loans, nationalizes foreign companies. For the phone system, pays ITT the company's minimized valuation for tax purposes. The CIA provides covert financial support for Allende's opponents, both during and after his election.
U.S. stands by as military suspends an election in El Salvador in which centrist José Napoleón Duarte was favored to win. (Compare with the emphasis placed on the 1982 elections.)
U.S.-supported military coup kills Allende and brings Augusto Pinochet Ugarte to power. Pinochet imprisons well over a hundred thousand Chileans (torture and rape are the usual methods of interrogation), terminates civil liberties, abolishes unions, extends the work week to 48 hours, and reverses Allende's land reforms.
Military takes power in Uruguay, supported by U.S. The subsequent repression reportedly features the world's highest percentage of the population imprisoned for political reasons.
Office of Public Safety is abolished when it is revealed that police are being taught torture techniques.
! 1976
Election of Jimmy Carter leads to a new emphasis on human rights in Central America. Carter cuts off aid to the Guatemalan military (or tries to; some slips through) and reduces aid to El Salvador.
! 1979
Ratification of the Panama Canal treaty which is to return the Canal to Panama by 1999.
"Once again, Uncle Sam put his tail between his legs and crept away rather than face trouble." --Ronald Reagan
A right-wing junta takes over in El Salvador. U.S. begins massively supporting El Salvador, assisting the military in its fight against FMLN guerrillas. Death squads proliferate; Archbishop Romero is assassinated by right-wing terrorists; 35,000 civilians are killed in 1978-81. The rape and murder of four U.S. churchwomen results in the suspension of U.S. military aid for one month.
The U.S. demands that the junta undertake land reform. Within 3 years, however, the reform program is halted by the oligarchy.
"The Soviet Union underlies all the unrest that is going on." --Ronald Reagan
U.S., seeking a stable base for its actions in El Salvador and Nicaragua, tells the Honduran military to clean up its act and hold elections. The U.S. starts pouring in $100 million of aid a year and basing the contras on Honduran territory.
Death squads are also active in Honduras, and the contras tend to act as a state within a state.
The CIA steps in to organize the contras in Nicaragua, who started the previous year as a group of 60 ex-National Guardsmen; by 1985 there are about 12,000 of them. 46 of the 48 top military leaders are ex-Guardsmen. The U.S. also sets up an economic embargo of Nicaragua and pressures the IMF and the World Bank to limit or halt loans to Nicaragua.
Gen. Torrijos of Panama is killed in a plane crash. There is a suspicion of CIA involvement, due to Torrijos' nationalism and friendly relations with Cuba.
A coup brings Gen. Efraín Ríos Montt to power in Guatemala, and gives the Reagan administration the opportunity to increase military aid. Ríos Montt's evangelical beliefs do not prevent him from accelerating the counterinsurgency campaign.
Another coup in Guatemala replaces Ríos Montt. The new President, Oscar Mejía Víctores, was trained by the U.S. and seems to have cleared his coup beforehand with U.S. authorities.
U.S. troops take over tiny Granada. Rather oddly, it intervenes shortly after a coup has overthrown the previous, socialist leader. One of the justifications for the action is the building of a new airport with Cuban help, which Granada claimed was for tourism and Reagan argued was for Soviet use. Later the U.S. announces plans to finish the airport... to develop tourism.
Boland Amendment prohibits CIA and Defense Dept. from spending money to overthrow the government of Nicaragua-- a law the Reagan administration cheerfully violates.
CIA mines three Nicaraguan harbors. Nicaragua takes this action to the World Court, which brings an $18 billion judgment against the U.S. The U.S. refuses to recognize the Court's jurisdiction in the case.
U.S. spends $10 million to orchestrate elections in El Salvador-- something of a farce, since left-wing parties are under heavy repression, and the military has already declared that it will not answer to the elected president.
U.S. invades Panama to dislodge CIA boy gone wrong Manuel Noriega, an event which marks the evolution of the U.S.'s favorite excuse from Communism to drugs.
The U.S. battles global Communism by extending most-favored-nation trading status for China, and tightening the trade embargo on Castro's Cuba.

Ya you just explained how we won the cold war (albeit full of inacuracies and Communist propoganda) against the Soviet tyrants who tried to conquer the world from Europe to China to Latin America. Not one Communist nation in the history of the world has been Democratic.

China's Capitalist now so is the Soviet Union, so is Latin America, Latin America and Russia are now Democratic, Castro's a scumbag, Viva Alpha 66! God bless the good men and women in the CIA who defeated the evil empire. May the terrorist scum be next, long live the Republic Nex ut Tyrannus! America is the sword of liberty and you consider that a bad thing?

Last edited:
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Ya you just explained how we won the cold war (albeit full of inacuracies and Communist propoganda) against the Soviet tyrants who tried to conquer the world from Europe to China to Latin America. Not one Communist nation in the history of the world has been Democratic.

China's Capitalist now so is the Soviet Union, so is Latin America, Latin America and Russia are now Democratic, Castro's a scumbag, Viva Alpha 66! God bless the good men and women in the CIA who defeated the evil empire. May the terrorist scum be next, long live the Republic Nex ut Tyrannus! America is the sword of liberty and you consider that a bad thing?

No it explained how the U.S. has managed to weasel itself into 1/5(refering to the 5 populated continents) of the worlds problems and has done pretty much everything to play countries against eachother for it's own advantage.

Last time...I checked I dont really know...China was led...by..."The Communist Party of China" not..."The Republican Party of China" or..."The Democratic party of China". There wont be a Labour president on the next "democratic" elections in China. China is not a democracy it just uses a capitalist system for it's economy. Theres a difference.

Latin America has never had a real democracy in the last 20 years. The last 3-4 presidents for every country in Latin America has been nothing more then a puppet from the U.S.(Pinochet, Da Silva, Fox).

Now if you knew anything about Alpha 66(Wich apparently you do) You'd know 33 countries in Latin America consider it a terrorist organisation. If you truly belived in freedom you wouldnt support them.

Funny enough you call Castro a scumbag....when...he was the 1st head of state to offer Bush help(he offered to send 10,000 doctors - I was in Cuba when it happened). But they dont tell you about that in the U.S. media. Your president....is on vacation while your nation drowns....he's reading books to small children after being told YOUR nation is under attack....He puts all of his good friends in high positions....gives the best rebuilding contracts in Iraq to his other friends....and Yet....Castro is a scumbag cause he wouldnt bow down to American Imperialism? Your nation isnt a sword of liberty...it's more the prison shank used by convicts.

Davo said:
No it explained how the U.S. has managed to weasel itself into 1/5(refering to the 5 populated continents) of the worlds problems and has done pretty much everything to play countries against eachother for it's own advantage.

Last time...I checked I dont really know...China was led...by..."The Communist Party of China" not..."The Republican Party of China" or..."The Democratic party of China". There wont be a Labour president on the next "democratic" elections in China. China is not a democracy it just uses a capitalist system for it's economy. Theres a difference.

Latin America has never had a real democracy in the last 20 years. The last 3-4 presidents for every country in Latin America has been nothing more then a puppet from the U.S.(Pinochet, Da Silva, Fox).

Now if you knew anything about Alpha 66(Wich apparently you do) You'd know 33 countries in Latin America consider it a terrorist organisation. If you truly belived in freedom you wouldnt support them.

Funny enough you call Castro a scumbag....when...he was the 1st head of state to offer Bush help(he offered to send 10,000 doctors - I was in Cuba when it happened). But they dont tell you about that in the U.S. media. Your president....is on vacation while your nation drowns....he's reading books to small children after being told YOUR nation is under attack....He puts all of his good friends in high positions....gives the best rebuilding contracts in Iraq to his other friends....and Yet....Castro is a scumbag cause he wouldnt bow down to American Imperialism? Your nation isnt a sword of liberty...it's more the prison shank used by convicts.

Castro is a tyrant and I hope he dies soon the mere fact that you support him is proof positive that you've been brain washed. China is Capitalist now and they're progressing, Russia, South America, North Korea, and Eastern Europe are all now Democratic and free while Castro and North Korea are two of the only countries led by communist regimes who have not adopted capitalism and they're both dictatorships and two of the poorest countries on earth while China, Russia, the rest of Latin America, and South East Asia are Capitalist and rising economic power houses. Boy didn't Marx back the wrong horse?

We didn't play countries off against eachother the Communsits did a good enough job of that on their own each claiming to be the real Communists.

China-Russo conflicts ring any bells? Perhaps the Kymer Rouge and the North Vietnamese? The Communists are the ones who started all of the conflicts, we solved them in Korea, tried to solve them in Vietnam which by the way is now capitalist, and solved them in Latin America, by introducing Open Market Capitalism and Democracy.

Davo, you are just a mouth of left wing communist anti american hate. People like you deserve to live in Stalin's regime, or maybe Mao... Get out of this country you hate mongerer! The only reason you can spew (winks at steen) this garbage is because of the protection of th good ol' USA. Close the borders and lock up them anti american garbage...that is what me and my boys say!

Castro is a tyrant and I hope he dies soon the mere fact that you support him is proof positive that you've been brain washed. China is Capitalist now and they're progressing, Russia, South America, North Korea, and Eastern Europe are all now Democratic and free while Castro and North Korea are two of the only countries led by communist regimes who have not adopted capitalism and they're both dictatorships and two of the poorest countries on earth while China, Russia, the rest of Latin America, and South East Asia are Capitalist and rising economic power houses. Boy didn't Marx back the wrong horse?

Russia, South America, North Korea, and Eastern Europe are all now Democratic and free

Do you know wich Korea is communist and wich one isnt? You remind me of Bush....always confused.

Due to histories of high inflation in nearly all South American countries, interest rates and thus investment remain high and low, respectively. Interest rates are usually double that of the United States. For example, interest rates are about 22 % in Venezuela and 23 % in Suriname. The exception is Chile, which some believe had a head start from 1973 under Augusto Pinochet.

The South American Community of Nations is a planned continent-wide free trade zone to unite two existing free-trade organizations—Mercosur and the Andean Community.

In South America, the gap between the rich and the poor is tremendous. In Venezuela, Paraguay, Brazil, Bolivia and many other South American countries, the richest 20 % may own over 60 % of the nation's wealth, while the poorest 20 % may own less than 5 %. This wide gap can be seen in many large South American cities where makeshift shacks and slums lie next to skyscrapers and upper-class luxury apartments.

We didn't play countries off against eachother the Communsits did a good enough job of that on their own each claiming to be the real Communists.

The communists....claimed they were communists this in turn played people agains eachother how? Wasnt the U.S. the country who sold weapons to Iraq....when it was fighting Iran...and at the same time sold Iraq more weapons?

China-Russo conflicts ring any bells? Perhaps the Kymer Rouge and the North Vietnamese? The Communists are the ones who started all of the conflicts, we solved them in Korea, tried to solve them in Vietnam which by the way is now capitalist, and solved them in Latin America, by introducing Open Market Capitalism and Democracy.

OK.....I love how you confuse neocolonialism with democracy. Democracy my friend is not forcing people to use YOUR economic system. Democracy is not backing who you think is right(and under any means necessary make sure he/she is elected) and not who the people of those countries think is right. Democracy is when you have more then 2 parties to chose from(because in case you havent noticed not everyone agrees with the left and right). LOL isnt that the american response to the cold war "the communists did it too". If you knew anything about communism other then what you have read by most likely american authors....NOBODY reached communism because it's an idea that needs greed to disappear for it to work.

CHINA IS A DEMOCRACY! :D....WAIT.....No it's not.

Meanwhile, Mao Zedong, the leader of the communists, proclaimed the People's Republic of China (PRC) on October 1, 1949 in Beijing, saying China had stood up. From the beginning, the PRC has been a dictatorial one-party state under the Communist Party. However, post-1978 reforms have led to the relaxation, in varying degrees, of party control over many areas of society. Nonetheless, the Communist Party still has absolute control over political aspects of society, and it continuously seeks to eradicate threats to its rule. Examples of this include the jailing of political opponents and journalists, general control of the press, regulation of religions and other non-party organizations, censorship of the press, literature and film, and suppression of independence/secessionist movements. In 1989, a popular demonstration held in Beijing at Tiananmen Square was violently put to an end by the CPC. The attempted eradication of the Falun Gong movement is also held by its supporters to be motivated by fear of Falun Gong's growing influence. Today, however, there is much more freedom in intellectual thought in non-political areas and propaganda, while still continuing, has lessened.

Davo, you are just a mouth of left wing communist anti american hate. People like you deserve to live in Stalin's regime, or maybe Mao... Get out of this country you hate mongerer! The only reason you can spew (winks at steen) this garbage is because of the protection of th good ol' USA. Close the borders and lock up them anti american garbage...that is what me and my boys say!

LoL You and your "boys"(more like 50 year old guys that are about as blind as Stevie Wonder) talk alot of trash for such intelligent individuals....Ummmm I DONT LIVE in the U.S. I live in Canada.You know that country where people dont get put into jails for an X number of years without being charged with any crimes...you know that country where you're INNOCENT until proven otherwise... Read my posts I never once said I hated America. I just dont agree with it's policies. Litsen.....since you havent figured out that Stalin and Mao are long dead(meaning their regimes no longer exist)...I'll let you get back to fixing you hillbilly wagon. :)

Note : I consider myself to be someone with more then one perspective on things because I've lived in different countries. To name a few Cuba, Japan, England, Algeria, Italy, St. Maarten, United States of America, Thailand(I dont really consider it as living there since I was there for about half a year the others are one year or more) and finally Canada(My mom has a clothing business so I get to live in a bunch of different places). When you've lived in such different countries you kinda get a different perspective on things. You collect information. When you live in the States and think you're a different person cause you've made a trip to Tiujuana for weed or stumbled into a Moose on your way to Northen Quebec....it's not really a more open view it's just an American who think's he's been englightened.

DAVO YOU ARE A HATE MONGERER!!

Davo, I was only joking with that ridiculous speech, please my friend...ahhaha

"me and my boys" ...? Hahaha But make no mistake, if you are on the internet, you are in America...this is ours and this is how we control you... :shock:

Bill:
Many neocon's are some of the most immoral people on the planet who are mentally unfit to be near any position of an elected official.

You meant..."Many LIBERALS are some...." Right? haha, get real Bill. Immoral people transcend petty definitions such as you are prescribing. It should actually read...

"There are immoral people on the planet who are mentally unfit to be near any position of an elected official."

Back
Top Bottom