• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

American Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mira

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I discovered this fascinating young woman in a book that I read recently about the war in Iraq.

Marla Ruzicka, a very young and beautful American woman looked more like a surfer on the beaches of California and yet she spent her time and energy in Iraq and Afghanistan trying to get compensation from the U.S. army for civilian victims. I encourage you to find out more about this exceptional woman. People like her should never be forgotten.
----------- from Wiki
Prior to launching CIVIC in Iraq, she was based in Peshawar, Pakistan, and later Kabul, Afghanistan. Under the auspices of Global Exchange, she pressured the US government to set up a fund for Afghan families harmed in Operation Enduring Freedom. However, she soon struck out on her own to form CIVIC, and arrived in Kabul only a few days after the Taliban were removed from power. In Afghanistan, she began conducting a grassroots survey on the military campaign effects on Afghan civilians, in order to apply for compensation and aid. On April 7, 2002, she protested outside the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, alongside several civilians who had lost relatives as the result of U.S. air strikes.
In July 2002, Ruzicka began working with USAID and the Senate Appropriations Committee to allocate money to rebuild the homes of families that had suffered losses as a result of military action. After receiving CIVIC's first report, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) sponsored legislation to provide $10 million in U.S. aid to innocent Iraqis who had been harmed by the US military. He said, "Marla Ruzicka is out there saying, 'Wait, everybody. Here is what is really happening. You'd better know about this.' We have whistle blowers in industry. Maybe sometimes we need whistle blowers in foreign policy."[1]

marlaemail.png

It's a war.

The US Army doesn't owe anyone "compensation".

Welcome to war in the real world.

It's a war.

The US Army doesn't owe anyone "compensation".

Welcome to war in the real world.

Thanks for discrediting the humane behaviour of the American government toward civilian victims.

Awful post :(

Thanks for discrediting the humane behaviour of the American government toward civilian victims.

Any time.

We start going down the false road of feeling sorry for the inevitable casualties in war, and next thing you know, we're paying reparations for wars someone else started.

Afghanistan started the war with the US. The US Army shouldn't have to apologize for a damn thing they do. It's a mistake to start that nonsense.

Any time.

We start going down the false road of feeling sorry for the inevitable casualties in war, and next thing you know, we're paying reparations for wars someone else started.

Afghanistan started the war with the US. The US Army shouldn't have to apologize for a damn thing they do. It's a mistake to start that nonsense.

WOW ! that's all I can say :(

WOW ! that's all I can say :(

"War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war. The United States does and must assert its authority, wherever it once had power; for, if it relaxes one bit to pressure, it is gone, and I believe that such is the national feeling." - William Tecumseh Sherman

That's what war is about.

"War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war. The United States does and must assert its authority, wherever it once had power; for, if it relaxes one bit to pressure, it is gone, and I believe that such is the national feeling." - William Tecumseh Sherman

That's what war is about.

:( :( :( :(

So sad to know that some people think this way :(

Why was there no effort by this woman, to ease the civilian suffering under the hands of the Taliban?

And also, did she seek compensation from the Taliban, or Saddam's Baathist regime, for the damages they inflicted on people?

I mean I've got no problem if someone wants to lend aid to people, on our behalf. But I think the protest is disingenuous, if they seek to scapegoat America for its "atrocities" in the region, while forgiving the Taliban and the Baathists theirs.

If the Taliban, in 2004 kills 15 villagers, who would she have asked to pay the reparations?

Why was there no effort by this woman, to ease the civilian suffering under the hands of the Taliban?

And also, did she seek compensation from the Taliban, or Saddam's Baathist regime, for the damages they inflicted on people?

I mean I've got no problem if someone wants to lend aid to people, on our behalf. But I think the protest is disingenuous, if they seek to scapegoat America for its "atrocities" in the region, while forgiving the Taliban and the Baathists theirs.

If the Taliban, in 2004 kills 15 villagers, who would she have asked to pay the reparations?

Because she was American and could only approach her own government for help.

Do you think that the American government should have to pay for damages incurred by Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Baathists, or other terrorist groups in those regions?

Do you think that the American government should have to pay for damages incurred by Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Baathists, or other terrorist groups in those regions?

No, I don't, she was getting compensation for victims of "collateral damage" and helping the same people to get medical treatment.

If you don't want to read, then please watch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5YCmuRMhV4&feature=related]YouTube - American 'Saint' Remembered[/ame]

No, I don't, she was getting compensation for victims of "collateral damage" and helping the same people to get medical treatment.

Her death(by suicide bomber) should have opened up peoples eyes, to the real enemy of the very people she was trying to help. Our collateral damage was accidental, or in the course of pursuit of bad people. The suicide bombers purposefully targetted civilians.

Still, I can find no fault in wanting to give aid to those we may have accidentally hurt in our pursuit of these terrorists. We do bear a responsibility for our actions.

Still, I can find no fault in wanting to give aid to those we may have accidentally hurt in our pursuit of these terrorists. We do bear a responsibility for our actions.

Oh finally ! phew !

No he is correct have you every been to Iraq of The Afgan huh, things happen oh and for the record the US Military for a a very long time has been helping to rebuild home's in both Countries that were destroyed maybe you should get allof you facts first before you make comments or better yet sign up and go to Iraq or the Afgan.

If you don't want to read, then please watch.

I watched.

The OP claims she was getting compensation from the U.S. Army,

But the reporter says she "raised" money.

Which was it ?

Her plan wasn't to hinder the war effort by maxxing out the civilian aid budget was it ? Find a program, apply to it in the name of everyone you can find, and bankrupt the mission ?

No he is correct have you every been to Iraq of The Afgan huh, things happen oh and for the record the US Military for a a very long time has been helping to rebuild home's in both Countries that were destroyed maybe you should get allof you facts first before you make comments or better yet sign up and go to Iraq or the Afgan.

And how can you be so sure that I haven't been to both countries numerous times ?

So you consider ths woman who gave her life in order to help civilian victims of war to be evil. Ok, fine.

So you consider ths woman who gave her life in order to help civilian victims of war to be evil. Ok, fine.

Why are you attributing this to him? Where did he say anything of this nature?

And how can you be so sure that I haven't been to both countries numerous times ?

Alright I'll bite I'll put my time in Country to your time x10 care to play this game. Hell I'll start the first time I went to Iraq was in the Spring of 1993 with the second UN Weapons Inspection Team that inspected all of Iraq Attack Helicopter Asset. My first time in The Afgan was in Fall of 2004 with a Joint Pperations Weapons Inspection Team made up of NATO and UN folks.

So let's here all about your time in Country.

As for your last statement prove to everyone that is hat I said no where in my last post did I make such outlandish claims your say I did.

Alright I'll bite I'll put my time in Country to your time x10 care to play this game. Hell I'll start the first time I went to Iraq was in the Spring of 1993 with the second UN Weapons Inspection Team that inspected all of Iraq Attack Helicopter Asset. My first time in The Afgan was in Fall of 2004 with a Joint Pperations Weapons Inspection Team made up of NATO and UN folks.

So let's here all about your time in Country.

As for your last statement prove to everyone that is hat I said no where in my last post did I make such outlandish claims your say I did.

My first trips to both countries began in 1986 but that's not the subject of the thread.

I'm just shocked and surprised that I posted the story of this fantastic woman to show at least one beam of light in an otherwise gloomy situation and all I saw being posted was negativity. That's all.

When I read the title of this thread I expected this to be an hommage to Mc Carthy, but now, what do I have to see?

When I read the title of this thread I expected this to be an hommage to Mc Carthy, but now, what do I have to see?

A very young American woman who gave her life to help civilian victims of war.

A very young American woman who gave her life to help civilian victims of war.

And what does her death teach us? It comes cheaper and much less dangerous to prevent a war than to try to fight against the consequences of the war.

There should be more pacifists, really. If the world is once full of those pacifists, I will finally conqeur this world with a bread knife.

:( :( :( :(

So sad to know that some people think this way :(

So sad to know that some people don't understand the realities of the world and think that wars are precision acts targeting only the bad guys, and that the only bad guys in the world are Americans, too.

Not true.

If she's in Afghanland or Iraq, she approach the local authorities, would, of course, laugh their hairy asses off, then boot her outside and tell her to quit wasting their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom