• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

American Civil War II ?

F41

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Do you think, with the divide between the Right and the Left in America, we may be heading toward another civil war ourselves?

If so, why?

And if not. Why?

with the divide between the Right and the Left in America

I can't really see it because i don't believe there is much of a left-right divide.
From an outsiders point of view it would appear that you have a divide between right and a little less right

Willoughby said:
I can't really see it because i don't believe there is much of a left-right divide.
From an outsiders point of view it would appear that you have a divide between right and a little less right

VERY interesting statement. Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate a little more? I will agree that the democratic party is a joke. However, there is a large portion of the U.S. (especially aged 18-24), that are extremely liberal. The problem is, alot of us ultra-liberals are also ultra-lazy and end up not voting.

RecoveringPunk said:
The problem is, alot of us ultra-liberals are also ultra-lazy and end up not voting.
Hmm, Actually, I do not see that as a problem. You have restored my faith in America...:smile:

VERY interesting statement. Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate a little more? I will agree that the democratic party is a joke. However, there is a large portion of the U.S. (especially aged 18-24), that are extremely liberal. The problem is, alot of us ultra-liberals are also ultra-lazy and end up not voting.

well i mean i can only compare it to the British systyem as that is what i know most about. Basically i mean that in both the US and the UK their has regretably been a drift to the right, although i think this is still greater in the US, but in the UK we have another credible option. The presence of a third party, with proper liberal status, in the UK that acheived nearly 25% of the vote means that their is a place for liberals to vote. In the US you end up having to vote for the lesser of two evils which just backs up the present system of two-right wing parties. I think this has had a impact on the political culture of your country. The lack of welfare provision especially health etc....

Willoughby said:
well i mean i can only compare it to the British systyem as that is what i know most about. Basically i mean that in both the US and the UK their has regretably been a drift to the right, although i think this is still greater in the US, but in the UK we have another credible option. The presence of a third party, with proper liberal status, in the UK that acheived nearly 25% of the vote means that their is a place for liberals to vote. In the US you end up having to vote for the lesser of two evils which just backs up the present system of two-right wing parties. I think this has had a impact on the political culture of your country. The lack of welfare provision especially health etc....

Okay, time to finally shoot this lie that is being perpetrated. Our professional mooches, that is, those who are not on welfare for legitimate reasons, all get free medical care. It is our medicaide system, and is paid for by the taxes of those that work.
When you keep bringing up the health care crap, you are being misguided. Most of those without health care are actually the self employed, and here in my state, children are insured for free the first two years, and it is ten dollars a month for unlimited health care for them until 18 years of age after that.
Please do some research before being sucked into the typical the sky is falling chicken little routine we hear from the left.

sorry about the healthcare stuff...i was mistaken..i didn't know that every single person in the USA is entitled to completly free healthcare provision regardless of their profession, income, age etc....

As I stated, those on the public dole do get health care. Hospitals are not allowed to turn away people in life threatening situations. (My wife's uncle has no insurance, and had a massive coronary bypass. About 200k in surgery and recovery. He is paying it back $10. a month. This was his third such surgery.)
Most companies do provide health care. Yes, we have some people that are not insured. Most of them are the self employed.

He is paying it back $10. a month. This was his third such surgery.)
Most companies do provide health care. Yes, we have some people that are not insured. Most of them are the self employed.

any you think it is right that:

a) he should be paying it back?
b) that self-employed people should be left-out like this

$10.00 a month for a $200,000 bill? Do you realistically ever expect him to pay it all back? The laws we have currently have a form that a person fills out in the hospital. It states they don't have enough to pay for X surgery/procedure.
He is paying the $10.00 a month because that is what he said he could afford, nothing more. This was his second such surgery. He is 70 odd years old, and will never even pay a tenth of it back.
I have no problem with this. The government picked up the remainder of the tab.
Self employed people can buy private insurance. If they'd do like some businesses, they'd form a group that gets them the insurance at group rates, and much less than individuals pay.
There are many ways to cover oneself with insurance. And part of being an entreprenuer is risk.

but you seem to miss my basic point..wouldn't it be easier to pay for it on a universal healthcare basic. americans pay more medicare through taxes per person than we do for a univeral healthcare system in the uk..does that not worry you at all

ThePhoenix said:
Do you think, with the divide between the Right and the Left in America, we may be heading toward another civil war ourselves?

If so, why?

And if not. Why?

not anytime soon. there's hasnt been talk of violence or of war. the left and right are very polarised right now, but they are trying to achieve their goals through the democratic process (or sometimes a corrupt version of it) rather than through violence.

Back
Top Bottom