• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Caught Fighting for ISIS

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Washington (CNN) — An American who joined ISIS will be charged in federal court Thursday for providing support to the terror group.

Mohamad Jamal Khweis, 26, is the son of Palestinian immigrants and grew up in Virginia. While a number of Americans have been charged with seeking to join ISIS, Khweis is the first ISIS-affiliated American to have been captured on the battlefield.

After being captured by Kurdish anti-ISIS forces, he said he renounced the terror group and described it as not representative of Islam, calling life under the organization "really, really bad" in a television interview.

Khweis, who will face charges in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, has previously said he joined the terror group because of a woman.

The FBI interviewed Khweis while he was in Kurdish custody in Iraq, according to the criminal complaint.

The complaint alleges that Khweis admitted to conducting "extensive research concerning ISIL" in 2015, including "frequently" watching ISIS execution videos and using social media to privately contact ISIS and smuggle himself across the Turkish-Syrian border.

American who fought for ISIS facing charges - CNNPolitics.com

Are we creating more terrorists? Why are so many young Muslims from the US and Europe joining Islamic terror groups?

Washington (CNN) — An American who joined ISIS will be charged in federal court Thursday for providing support to the terror group.

Mohamad Jamal Khweis, 26, is the son of Palestinian immigrants and grew up in Virginia. While a number of Americans have been charged with seeking to join ISIS, Khweis is the first ISIS-affiliated American to have been captured on the battlefield.

After being captured by Kurdish anti-ISIS forces, he said he renounced the terror group and described it as not representative of Islam, calling life under the organization "really, really bad" in a television interview.

Khweis, who will face charges in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, has previously said he joined the terror group because of a woman.

The FBI interviewed Khweis while he was in Kurdish custody in Iraq, according to the criminal complaint.

The complaint alleges that Khweis admitted to conducting "extensive research concerning ISIL" in 2015, including "frequently" watching ISIS execution videos and using social media to privately contact ISIS and smuggle himself across the Turkish-Syrian border.

Are we creating more terrorists? Why are so many young Muslims from the US and Europe joining Islamic terror groups?

Who's this "we?" You got a mouse in your pocket? :2razz:

Who knows why? It's the religion of peace

This one left a terrorist group.

LOL. That's like saying a wealthy socialite leaves their lifestyle by going to prison. He was captured on the battlefied and renounced ISIS after he got captured.

I don't think we totally understand the sociology of terrorists from our societies. But it is probably related to the causes for the population's turning to excentric populisms.

He left after Kurdish forces captured him. If you know how Kurdish Peshmerga treat Isis POWs, this guy would be willing to say anything to get out being held by them. Peshmerga don't coddle Isis members.

Are we creating more terrorists?

Speak for yourself.

Why are so many young Muslims from the US and Europe joining Islamic terror groups?

Tons of non-muslims from western countries have gone to join ISIS. The question isn't focused on muslims (unless you just wanted to say that you don't like muslims).

The question is why people from western countries, especially reasonably well off people, would get it in their heads to do a thing like that.

I don't think we totally understand the sociology of terrorists from our societies. But it is probably related to the causes for the population's turning to excentric populisms.

Comparing Americans who join Isis or Al Shabab to Americans who support Trump or Sanders is a pretty far stretch, dontcha think?

Speak for yourself.

Tons of non-muslims from western countries have gone to join ISIS . The question isn't focused on muslims (unless you just wanted to say that you don't like muslims).

The question is why people from western countries, especially reasonably well off people, would get it in their heads to do a thing like that.

Do you have any examples or articles?

He's not the first man to think with the little head.

Sounds like a made up story to me. And if the woman who he had the hots for told him to go join Isis, that should have been his wake up call that she just wasn't that into him.

Do you have any examples or articles?

I don't keep a database of articles for the purpose of debunking obviously biased anti-muslim swill...

If you've followed the news with a more objective eye, you will have taken note of the articles I speak of. If you've only paid attention to articles with the m-word in them, you won't have done.

Now, assume I've come up with ten articles and posted them to you. These articles confirm my statement. What would your response be?

I ask because I'm somewhere between 99% and 100% certain that even if I did this research-on-command and demonstrated to you that tons of these people are not muslim, it won't make a damned bit of difference - that whatever you do, it won't be to say "gee, I was wrong. It's not just muslims from western countries traveling to join ISIS".

But maybe I'm wrong. So I ask. If I spend the time I could otherwise spend reading or playing around on the computer or hanging around with my wife, instead digging for articles to demonstrate that I know what I'm talking about, what would your response be in all honesty?

Last edited:

Why do so many people become murderers or rapists? Those who join terrorist groups are a small fraction of those who justify some kind of violent crime to themselves.

Sounds like a made up story to me. And if the woman who he had the hots for told him to go join Isis, that should have been his wake up call that she just wasn't that into him.

If she told him to go join ISIS, then it should have been. If she told him to come and join ISIS and she'd be his sex slave, then he might have thought that was a great idea.

I don't keep a database of articles for the purpose of debunking obviously biased anti-muslim swill...

If you've followed the news with a more objective eye, you will have taken note of the articles I speak of. If you've only paid attention to articles with the m-word in them, you won't have done.

I haven't seen any such articles, and its a bit of a weird claim that tons of people join Islamic State when they're not Islamic...

Now, assume I've come up with ten articles and posted them to you. These articles confirm my statement. What would your response be?

I ask because I'm somewhere between 99% and 100% certain that even if I did this research-on-command and demonstrated to you that tons of these people are not muslim, it won't make a damned bit of difference - that whatever you do, it won't be to say "gee, I was wrong. It's not just muslims from western countries traveling to join ISIS".

But maybe I'm wrong. So I ask. If I spend the time I could otherwise spend reading or playing around on the computer or hanging around with my wife, instead digging for articles to demonstrate that I know what I'm talking about, what would your response be in all honesty?

You've said twice now that "tons" of non Muslims from the U.S. and Europe have gone and joined Isis.
This is why I'm doubting you man, because I follow the news quite closely, and I'm not familiar with this. If you have proof to the contrary, I'll absolutely take it into consideration.

I haven't seen any such articles, and its a bit of a weird claim that tons of people join Islamic State when they're not Islamic...

That's nice.

"tons" refers to the percentage of those who have gone from western countries to join ISIS. "Tons" does not refer to their literal bodyweight.

You've said twice now that "tons" of non Muslims from the U.S. and Europe have gone and joined Isis.
This is why I'm doubting you man, because I follow the news quite closely, and I'm not familiar with this. If you have proof to the contrary, I'll absolutely take it into consideration.

Well, if you cannot or will not answer my question, I have absolutely no reason to waste my time digging up articles for you to reject.

That's nice.

"tons" refers to the percentage of those who have gone from western countries to join ISIS. "Tons" does not refer to their literal bodyweight.

Well, if you cannot or will not answer my question, I have absolutely no reason to waste my time digging up articles for you to reject.

Pretty please post your evidence. If I'm wrong here, I'll admit it, I've done it before.

That's nice.

How can he reject what hasn't been cited?

He left after Kurdish forces captured him. If you know how Kurdish Peshmerga treat Isis POWs, this guy would be willing to say anything to get out being held by them. Peshmerga don't coddle Isis members.

I imagine the only reason the man is still alive is because he is a US citizen.

That's nice.

The percentage of westerners who have gone to join ISIS again is, what? 10% 15%?

That's nice.

I know that, though I'm man enough to admit that I was tempted to take it literally. The weird and so far unsubstantiated claim is that Westerners who are not Islamic go to join the Islamic State in substantial numbers - a large percentage of those who do. One or two people? Maybe. There's always one or two no matter what the topic is :lol: But 'tons' of them? It sounds unlikely, and no-one else seems to have seen these reports you've alluded to, and so far you haven't provided any.

Comparing Americans who join Isis or Al Shabab to Americans who support Trump or Sanders is a pretty far stretch, dontcha think?

I am not so sure about that. Clearly the groups differ in that behavior. But that does not mean that the social causes are not related and the behavioral differences a consequence of other factors.

Back
Top Bottom