• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

American Breaking International Laws

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Castro Demands Justice in Militant Case

"HAVANA - President Fidel Castro urged the United States to refrain from granting political asylum to Luis Posada Carriles, saying the Cuban militant should instead be sent to an international tribunal or Venezuela, where he is wanted for a 1976 Cuban airliner bombing.

Posada, a Cuban native who has Venezuelan citizenship, was tried and acquitted twice in Venezuela in the 1976 Cubana Airlines bombing, which killed 73 people. He is wanted for escaping from prison in Venezuela in 1985 while awaiting a prosecutor's appeal in that case.

Both Cuba and Venezuela have said granting asylum to Posada, 77, in the United States would be akin to harboring a terrorist."

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/world/11398268.htm

"Trained by the CIA in the use of explosives as part of the ill-fated Bay of Pigs invasion, Posada has been linked through the years with the bombing of a Cuban civilian airliner that killed 73 people; bombings in Cuban tourist hotels that killed an Italian tourist and injured 11 other people; and a 2000 plot to assassinate Castro in Panama."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47870-2005Apr12.html
America is granting Asylum to a known terrorist? This is startling news indeed...Bush will do anything to **** off other people, even harboring a known criminal.. yet he won't pardon one who's innocent?

Arch Enemy said:
Castro Demands Justice in Militant Case

"HAVANA - President Fidel Castro urged the United States to refrain from granting political asylum to Luis Posada Carriles, saying the Cuban militant should instead be sent to an international tribunal or Venezuela, where he is wanted for a 1976 Cuban airliner bombing.

Posada, a Cuban native who has Venezuelan citizenship, was tried and acquitted twice in Venezuela in the 1976 Cubana Airlines bombing, which killed 73 people. He is wanted for escaping from prison in Venezuela in 1985 while awaiting a prosecutor's appeal in that case.

Both Cuba and Venezuela have said granting asylum to Posada, 77, in the United States would be akin to harboring a terrorist."

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/world/11398268.htm

"Trained by the CIA in the use of explosives as part of the ill-fated Bay of Pigs invasion, Posada has been linked through the years with the bombing of a Cuban civilian airliner that killed 73 people; bombings in Cuban tourist hotels that killed an Italian tourist and injured 11 other people; and a 2000 plot to assassinate Castro in Panama."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47870-2005Apr12.html
America is granting Asylum to a known terrorist? This is startling news indeed...Bush will do anything to **** off other people, even harboring a known criminal.. yet he won't pardon one who's innocent?

A KNOWN terrorist? Funny, but he was acquitted twice of any role in terror attacks.

I think it's amusing how many of those who are so quick to condemn the US for its dealings with "known" terrorists are the same who are so obstinant when it comes to labeling terrorists in the mideast as such.

The evidence presented linking Carriles to terror, if presented as evidence for a link to al-Quaida, would for most liberals in America, not be enough to call him a "known" terrorist. He'd become an icon for the ACLU.

As I've stated before I've been to Venezuela and believe me.. Venezuela is VERY easy to bribe your way out of jail and they'll let you go very easily.

Though that doesn't dispute the fact that he did do these terrible acts.. America agrees that he committed such acts but why aren't they taking actions against him? They basically say "if he shows up at a police office he'll be arrested"

I didn't mean to blame fully bush I meant for you all just to see this.. this to me shows disrespect for two countries who's ties with us aren't very good. In the case of Venezuela and us trying to get a new leader elected for them.. we were at the wrong and we were looking out for our benefit.

I don't know much about the Cuba America conflict, can someone tell me the name of the conflict to which Cuba sent troops to South Africa to fight against a ruler whom we supported?

Arch Enemy said:
As I've stated before I've been to Venezuela and believe me.. Venezuela is VERY easy to bribe your way out of jail and they'll let you go very easily.

Your claim makes no sense. If it was so easy to bribe your way out of jail, then why is he wanted for BREAKING OUT of jail? If it wasn't easy, then why would he be acquitted twice if he was actually guilty? If he had the money necesssary to fix TWO court proceedings, you don't think he could have bought his way out of jail?

If he is found, he'll be deported, but there's no reason why our country should waste our time and resources tracking down a person who, in absentia of all proof of terror, is wanted by Cuba to be killed as an example. We're not Castro's policemen.

And we didn't grant him asylum.

uh

I was wanting a republican I can actually beat in a debate. I found this information at another forums I really didn't do the research nor do I know enough about international laws in order to make my own verdict; I just wanted to see how you would answer and defend your statements.

Got any websites dealing with International Laws or Geneva Convention?

Arch Enemy said:
uh

I was wanting a republican I can actually beat in a debate. I found this information at another forums I really didn't do the research nor do I know enough about international laws in order to make my own verdict; I just wanted to see how you would answer and defend your statements.

Got any websites dealing with International Laws or Geneva Convention?

I don't know exactly how they'd apply here...as far as I can tell from the articles, he hasn't been convicted of anything except for a crime in Panama, which he was eventually pardoned for. I don't think under our current diplomatic status with Cuba, we're required to extradite, and I think that with venezuela, his two acquittals will probably keep us from tracking him down.

In all honestly, the US gov probably wants him out too, but there's little reason to spend time trying to track him down now. If he's found though, he'll likely be deported, although not to either of those countries.

yeah good inference.

I think it's best to keep him out of America just because of his record... at this point in time we can't trust those with even a suspicious record like him, he should be deported to a place where he can settle down and live. But in the end if we don't do this.. this will **** Cuba off; I think Cuba and America will be friendly once Castro dies... or at least I hope.

Actually they might not deport him.. just because he's too old that we only need to keep an eye on him just make sure of our safety, he's 77.. possibly getting to the age where he couldn't remember how to make a bomb.

Arch Enemy said:
Actually they might not deport him.. just because he's too old that we only need to keep an eye on him just make sure of our safety, he's 77.. possibly getting to the age where he couldn't remember how to make a bomb.

I was just about to agree, then I saw the part in the article that alleged he was part of a plot to assasinate Castro in 2000...when he was 72.

Old habits die hard, I guess

being part of the plot doesn't really make him the one who pulls the trigger; He could be a cerebral assassin who uses his wits and manipulates others to do his dirty work.

Arch Enemy said:
being part of the plot doesn't really make him the one who pulls the trigger; He could be a cerebral assassin who uses his wits and manipulates others to do his dirty work.

...Thus proving that he's still a potential threat...

Yeah though he is old and possibly decaying he is always a threat.. all terrorists whether they are disabled are still threats through connections. I don't think he could pull something on us though.. we just need to keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom