• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Bar Association backs same-sex marriage

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
SAN FRANCISCO -- The country's largest lawyers' group has backed a resolution calling on all state legislatures to let same-sex couples get married.

The American Bar Association voted at its annual meeting Tuesday in San Francisco to support the measure sponsored by the New York State Bar Association.

New York State Bar Association President Stephen P. Younger says the resolution passed overwhelmingly, with only one speaker voicing opposition during debate.

The ABA's approval comes days after a federal judge in San Francisco struck down California's voter-approved same-sex marriage ban. Younger says the timing of the ABA's vote is a coincidence.

That is quite an endorsement, and why not? After all, gays deserve the same rights as everyone else. That this is recognized by the legal community will serve to hasten the day that, gay or straight, everyone will have access to marriage, and that, folks, is as American as apple pie.

Article is here.

While I love seeing an issue I care about being endorsed, I do have to question whether that is really something the Bar Association should be getting involved in. It seems kinda out of their jurisdiction kinda thing.

While I love seeing an issue I care about being endorsed, I do have to question whether that is really something the Bar Association should be getting involved in. It seems kinda out of their jurisdiction kinda thing.

It's their opinion, and I honestly believe they have the right to express it. First Amendment, and all that.

It's their opinion, and I honestly believe they have the right to express it. First Amendment, and all that.

I am not saying they cannot say it, I wonder if they should. I am not even certain on that really. It was just the thought that crossed my mind. If the AMA backed hand gun issues, it would be the same thing, it's just not what I think of them as being about, if that makes sense to you. They are free to do it, but it seems odd.

Back
Top Bottom