• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Airlines will lay off 19,000 workers if it doesn't get additional federal help

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Is the senate still on recess?

American Airlines says it will lay off or involuntarily furlough 19,000 employees as of October 1 unless the airline industry gets more help from Congress.

The world's largest airline, which had 133,700 employees heading into this year, says it will need to reduce headcount by "at least" 40,000 employees. It said that 12,500 had agreed to leave the company with early retirement or buyout packages, and another 11,000 had agreed to voluntary furloughs for October.
"Even with those sacrifices, approximately 19,000 of our team members will be involuntarily furloughed or separated from the company on October 1, unless there is an extension of the [federal help]," said the letter that American CEO Doug Parker and President Robert Isom sent to employees. American said layoff notices were sent out Tuesday to 17,500 employees

American Airlines will lay off 19,000 workers if it doesn't get additional federal help - CNN

American Airlines says it will lay off or involuntarily furlough 19,000 employees as of October 1 unless the airline industry gets more help from Congress.

The world's largest airline, which had 133,700 employees heading into this year, says it will need to reduce headcount by "at least" 40,000 employees. It said that 12,500 had agreed to leave the company with early retirement or buyout packages, and another 11,000 had agreed to voluntary furloughs for October.
"Even with those sacrifices, approximately 19,000 of our team members will be involuntarily furloughed or separated from the company on October 1, unless there is an extension of the [federal help]," said the letter that American CEO Doug Parker and President Robert Isom sent to employees. American said layoff notices were sent out Tuesday to 17,500 employees

American Airlines will lay off 19,000 workers if it doesn't get additional federal help - CNN

I just don't have much sympathy for large businesses that want a federal bail out. If American Airlines needs more money to maintain employment, they sell a jet or two. They're darned expensive. That should lighten the load. Thanks!!

Twenty seven trillion dollars in debt.

No.

We cannot afford it.

I just don't have much sympathy for large businesses that want a federal bail out. If American Airlines needs more money to maintain employment, they sell a jet or two. They're darned expensive. That should lighten the load. Thanks!!

Sell a jet to... who?

Let them collect unemployment instead of being paid to sit around

Got to make sure the C level executives get their bonuses......

They already have. They retired the 757, the 767, the A330-300, and one of the Embraer types.

Most airlines don't own their planes, they lease them.

No one is buying any planes right now, the boneyards are all packed with planes that aren't flying.

I have a lot of friends at AA, its a tough business. I worked for 14 years at an airline that eventually became part of American, great people, terrible pay. But, I got out with free flights for life, although there is nowhere to go lately...

Stock Buybacks Made Corporations Vulnerable. Then The Coronavirus Struck.

In 2019, American Airlines spent $1.1 billion on buybacks, at an average cost of $32.09, according to company disclosures. In fact, from July 2014 to December 2019, American Airlines spent $12.4 billion on stock buybacks at an average weighted cost per share of $39.76, according to disclosures.

**** em, they don't deserve a bailout

Got to make sure the C level executives get their bonuses......

They already laid off a bunch of senior management and administrative staff. I have some friends who took the early out.

I took an early out after 9/11, I had another job already, so that is how I got my free flights, now I have my GF on my account as well.

American is actually doing better than most of the other airlines now, they have been adding lots more flights while the other guys have cut back. I just wish that Hawaii would open up...

The airlines that bounced back the fastest may surprise you

Oh. List is long. Any of the up and coming third world airlines. Thanks!!

There are presently zero "up and coming" airlines thanks to COVID-19.

There were many places, in the aftermath of the shutdown, where helping companies 'bridge the gap' made sense.

I don't think airlines is one of those. I think we've seen a permanent shift, and the industry isn't going to return to the same volumes in the immediate future. People are moving to other ways to do things. For example, my company with 20,000+ employees went to full stop on travel. We don't have contractors come onsite unless they physically have to do something. We conference them in. People in my division have attended two major use conferences this year, virtually - more people participated with less cost. Training usually done at a vendor training facility is done via teleconference. I don't think we'll ever return to what we were doing before.

Having pre-covid staffing isn't sustainable in this case. The industry is going to have to contract. Unfortunately, that means that some of those workers are going to have to move to other fields.

They already have. They retired the 757, the 767, the A330-300, and one of the Embraer types.

Most airlines don't own their planes, they lease them.

No one is buying any planes right now, the boneyards are all packed with planes that aren't flying.

I have a lot of friends at AA, its a tough business. I worked for 14 years at an airline that eventually became part of American, great people, terrible pay. But, I got out with free flights for life, although there is nowhere to go lately...

Well, when Corona wains as it will, no doubt you'll be able to take advantage of your benefits. In the mean time, even bone yards get picked over, and something that's in service - meaning it's modernized and viable - will have a buyer on the up and up third world market. Frankly, the AA executive dummies should have hung on to their 747's and the A1011's. They could have paid for complete makeovers twelve times over on those jets and still profited. They were the luxury liners of the air, packed a huge amount of people and made flying fun. Instead, the greedy idiots tried to cram human beings into these crappy, uncomfortable, humiliating tin cans that shuddered with every little air pocket. I'm sorry, but no sympathy here. Thanks!!

There were many places, in the aftermath of the shutdown, where helping companies 'bridge the gap' made sense.

I don't think airlines is one of those. I think we've seen a permanent shift, and the industry isn't going to return to the same volumes in the immediate future. People are moving to other ways to do things. For example, my company with 20,000+ employees went to full stop on travel. We don't have contractors come onsite unless they physically have to do something. We conference them in. People in my division have attended two major use conferences this year, virtually - more people participated with less cost. Training usually done at a vendor training facility is done via teleconference. I don't think we'll ever return to what we were doing before.

Having pre-covid staffing isn't sustainable in this case. The industry is going to have to contract. Unfortunately, that means that some of those workers are going to have to move to other fields.

In general, I agree..... Personally have over a million miles on American but haven't been traveling and don't see much travel for business in the future... Still, 19,000 jobs is a lot of jobs...

Well, when Corona wains as it will, no doubt you'll be able to take advantage of your benefits. In the mean time, even bone yards get picked over, and something that's in service - meaning it's modernized and viable - will have a buyer on the up and up third world market. Frankly, the AA executive dummies should have hung on to their 747's and the A1011's. They could have paid for complete makeovers twelve times over on those jets and still profited. They were the luxury liners of the air, packed a huge amount of people and made flying fun. Instead, the greedy idiots tried to cram human beings into these crappy, uncomfortable, humiliating tin cans that shuddered with every little air pocket. I'm sorry, but no sympathy here. Thanks!!

After 9/11, the airline I worked for that got bailed out was the first one to pay back the government, in full, with interest. Thousands of jobs were saved.

The last time AA had 747's was in the mid 80's, not the right plane for them. 4 engines and limited range is really expensive, AA never had L1011's (I am assuming that is what you were attempting to say). AA does fine with the 787 and 777 for long haul, igreat planes to fly on, and much cheaper to operate. Do you think that holding on to 40 year old gas hogs is a good thing? You need to learn more about the economics of airliners.

There hasn't been a passenger 747-200 or -300 or L1011 flying for over 10 years, maybe a few charters, but they are long gone, same with the DC-10.

Why The US Airlines Retired Their Boeing 747s - Simple Flying

After 9/11, the airline I worked for that got bailed out was the first one to pay back the government, in full, with interest. Thousands of jobs were saved.

The last time AA had 747's was in the mid 80's, not the right plane for them. 4 engines and limited range is really expensive, AA never had L1011's (I am assuming that is what you were attempting to say). AA does fine with the 787 and 777 for long haul, igreat planes to fly on, and much cheaper to operate. Do you think that holding on to 40 year old gas hogs is a good thing? You need to learn more about the economics of airliners.

There hasn't been a passenger 747-200 or -300 or L1011 flying for over 10 years, maybe a few charters, but they are long gone, same with the DC-10.

Why The US Airlines Retired Their Boeing 747s - Simple Flying
Well, i landed in Boston on an L1011 which was the only jet they would allow to land because the weather was so bad - big blizzard - and the plane was the only plane capable of landing in those conditions. And I'm not sure what airline it was but American is what I flew most often. And the 747 design was not limited range in my view because I took it to Europe a lot, unless you consider the trek across the Atlantic minimal range. In that case, cramming people into a 777 may be better - not for their circulation, the risk of stroke or their general health - but for making a nonstop to Siberia. In all seriousness, your information is well-received, and your knowledge of the industry appreciated. Oh and btw, 747's are still used as charters, possibly for the uber rich. Thanks!!

There are presently zero "up and coming" airlines thanks to COVID-19.

Everybody wants a deal, and smart businesses are looking ahead. The stock market wouldn't be where it is today if everybody thought Covid would last. A year is nothing. These sniveling big businesses that want fed money are just playing games. They know darn well that Covid is waining and they don't have much longer to sit it out. They just want easy money, and to make average workers pay. Sorry, no sympathy. Thanks!!

American Airlines is not alone, Delta as well is announcing layoffs and cost cutting measures.

This is the reality of the airline industry, heavily unionized with a management structure that equates to a business model that cannot survive economic difficulty. Congressional actions to date tell us that once October comes around there is no incentive nor agreement with the government to keep anyone on the payroll.

We can complain about corporate bailouts and taxpayer costs all we want, in the end management is not going anywhere but a plethora of employees are and they will end up removed from participation in the depressed economy.

Something has to give, not that the politics of Republicans vs. Democrats on this gives a **** whatsoever about economics.

I feel bad for the workers, but great news for the planet. Hopefully the laid off workers can get generous benefit packages.

This is a far more complicated problem than you seemingly grasp. Let's start with the notion that their jets have just about zero value at the moment. Do you no how many airliners have been taken out of service and parked.

No, this is what we are going to face over the next six months or so, massive layoffs in the travel and entertainment industries as the effect of the stimulus ends and these businesses come to terms with the fact they aren't coming back soon; that the economy is in for a long recession. Not until CoVid is under control can things have any hope of returning to normal. Trump wanted to take credit for a robust economy, but the reality is that his mis-handling of CoVid will likely deliver America's deepest recession in almost 100 years.

Well, i landed in Boston on an L1011 which was the only jet they would allow to land because the weather was so bad - big blizzard - and the plane was the only plane capable of landing in those conditions. And I'm not sure what airline it was but American is what I flew most often. And the 747 design was not limited range in my view because I took it to Europe a lot, unless you consider the trek across the Atlantic minimal range. In that case, cramming people into a 777 may be better - not for their circulation, the risk of stroke or their general health - but for making a nonstop to Siberia. In all seriousness, your information is well-received, and your knowledge of the industry appreciated. Oh and btw, 747's are still used as charters, possibly for the uber rich. Thanks!!

TWA and ATA had the L1011, great plane, in its day. As for the 747 range, the -200 couldn't do Australia or New Zealand. The 747-400 has the range, but the 777 can carry same passenger load and do it for a hell of a lot less fuel.

Europe is nothing, the 737 or A321 neo can do that. The 777 is a nice plane, lots of room.

I travel a lot on business and, like millions of others, I got tired of the lineups, the poor and unfriendly service, and the crowded and uncomfortable seats. I have no sympathy for any of them.

This is a far more complicated problem than you seemingly grasp. Let's start with the notion that their jets have just about zero value at the moment. Do you no how many airliners have been taken out of service and parked.

No, this is what we are going to face over the next six months or so, massive layoffs in the travel and entertainment industries as the effect of the stimulus ends and these businesses come to terms with the fact they aren't coming back soon; that the economy is in for a long recession. Not until CoVid is under control can things have any hope of returning to normal. Trump wanted to take credit for a robust economy, but the reality is that his mis-handling of CoVid will likely deliver America's deepest recession in almost 100 years.

Covid will be under control next year. Again, look at the stock market. War - both within and foreign - is far more of a threat, and is the wild card with regard to economic stability. Sadly, no matter who is elected, we can look forward to a violent aftermath. How long it lasts and its impact will depend on the judgment and backbone of our elected officials. Thanks!!

TWA and ATA had the L1011, great plane, in its day. As for the 747 range, the -200 couldn't do Australia or New Zealand. The 747-400 has the range, but the 777 can carry same passenger load and do it for a hell of a lot less fuel.

Europe is nothing, the 737 or A321 neo can do that. The 777 is a nice plane, lots of room.

The "lots of room" on the 777 is reserved for first class and maybe business. The rest of the passengers are jammed together in a long, claustrophobic tube with thin oxygen - yep, don't wanna waste any precious fuel so the jet keeps that to a minimum - and to top it off, it's really cold. Now I stopped flying after the first forced x-ray and the pat down. I know what those wonderful NSA contractors make, and they do ridiculously well - 2 to 3 hundred grand a year and more - to supposedly keep the country safe. As far as I'm concerned, they aren't doing their job if Americans are supposed to be lined up and examined like assembly line vegetables before being parked in the cans they're stuffed into. No thanks. We have a bloated government that doesn't do its job, and airlines that have steadily gone from delightful to mercenary, exploitive money mongers, to the point of shocking. Remember the poor doctor that was literally assaulted because he had the audacity to want to sit in a seat he paid for?? That was United. Fly the friendly skies?? LOL!! Personally, I don't care of all of them save maybe Frontier or Southwest hit the skids. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom