• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Adults Not So Smart

Although that position is plausible and intuititive, it is not reflected in the data I cited.

The Korean Labor Department is better placed than we are to comment on the economic effect of Korean college graduation levels. It says that from an economic standpoint there is a large college enrollment surplus whose economic effect is about 1-2% value subtracted per year. (I think that’s right- link is now behind pay wall).

The analogy is unsuccessful because a high level of fitness can be attained without going to the time and expense of gym membership.

Also, very high levels of fitness are not necessary for good health. It is not necessary to run 10 miles a day and do 500 push-ups (in several sets for most people, of course) to be as fit as you need to be. 1 mile running plus 2 miles walking plus 50 push-ups will get the job done.

Good book-reading habits can provide abundant private-life intellectual stimulation.

Sadly it can be several times $30k.

I think it is likely that cost deterrence occurs. If it does it the effect should be measurable, and those who want to make the case for deterrence are the ones who need to locate and cite the data.

i find it difficult to believe we're even arguing about whether it would be good or bad for more kids to go to college.

yes, they can skip college and read books. however, the most important part about college is timing. it is structured intellectual rigor at the point where the brain is finishing development. sort of like how it's best to learn a language when you're younger than seven years old or so. and let's face it; most of the kids who don't go to college are not going to do an equal amount of structured studying on their own. it's likely that many if not most of them will not achieve their full intellectual potential because of it.

i tend to doubt we're going to agree on this, because you're not looking at this as an investment in our national intellectual resources, which is exactly what it is. in the next fifty years, watch the countries with high college graduation rates. i think the value will become even more apparent as we enter uncharted technological and geopolitical territory.

i find it difficult to believe we're even arguing about whether it would be good or bad for more kids to go to college.
I have not argued it would be bad for more American kids to go to college. I defer to the Korean authorities on the matter of Korean kids.

Speaking of the US-Korean college graduation rates the following link tells us US rates are in fact higher (42-40%), And it is Canada (51%) which occupies 1st place:

©2013 24/7 Wall St: The Most Educated Countries in the World (9/21/12)

Frankly I wonder if more than 50% of any population is intelligent enough to pass a truly rigorous tertiary curriculum. Certainly much less than 50% can pass most scientific curriculums.

yes, they can skip college and read books.
If the goal is intellectual stimulation then yes they can. If the goal is job-qualifying mastery of a subject then the jury is out because online self-study (i.e e-books) has great untried potential for those with sufficient self-discipline.

however, the most important part about college is timing. it is structured intellectual rigor at the point where the brain is finishing development. sort of like how it's best to learn a language when you're younger than seven years old or so.
I don't know about brain development stages, but I agree it is generally desirable to aim for completing BA/BS in the early 20s.

If it is possible to identify the age at which learning skills are greatest in different subjects then maybe the tempo of instruction can to some extent be be tailored accordingly.

and let's face it; most of the kids who don't go to college are not going to do an equal amount of structured studying on their own. it's likely that many if not most of them will not achieve their full intellectual potential because of it.
I think this is addressed above.

i tend to doubt we're going to agree on this, because you're not looking at this as an investment in our national intellectual resources, which is exactly what it is. in the next fifty years, watch the countries with high college graduation rates. i think the value will become even more apparent as we enter uncharted technological and geopolitical territory.
I certainly do look at this as an investment in our national intellectual resources, I just do not think raw college graduation rates are the best way to evaluate return on our investment. Our biggest problem is not that too few people are going to college. It is that secondary education is too often completely and utterly abysmal and is graduating far too many who are inadequately numerate and literate. That in turn means we have far too many college students totally unable to master scientific and technical subjects (the tutti-frutty bulls*** that infests much of non-technical college curricula is another matter). The problem will never be solved until secondary school mess is solved, even if tuition is waived. It is a scandal, and we are nowhere near coming to grips with it.

Blame it on the mortarboard. They think they have reached the summit after receiving their mortarboards when in fact they are just beginning to crawl.

Back
Top Bottom