• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America was never great

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The hashtag #AmericaWasNeverGreat is popular on Twitter today. Do you agree that there's nothing great about America and there never has been anything great about America?

The hashtag #AmericaWasNeverGreat is popular on Twitter today. Do you agree that there's nothing great about America and there never has been anything great about America?

I'm not one of those hyper patriotic types but idiotic things like that make me want to be. Of course America is great. It's the only superpower, we drive global culture and policy, we have the most liberal freedoms.

Objectively America is great.

First, I don't even agree that you're portraying the hashtag accurately. You've extrapolated it into "there has never been anything great about America." Silly.

It's trending because angry idiots are mad that it exists in the first place. Like 99% of the (most recent) posts are "IF YA DONT LIKE IT GIT OUT HURF DURF." You are the reason its trending.

Last edited:

Great? Yeah. It is pretty great.

First, I don't even agree that you're portraying the hashtag accurately. You've extrapolated it into "there has never been anything great about America." Silly.

It's trending because angry idiots are mad that it exists in the first place. Like 99% of the posts are "IF YA DONT LIKE IT GIT OUT HURF DURF." You are the reason its trending.

There are people on both sides making it trend. There are MANY people agreeing completely that America was never great because of slavery and the Native American genocides. They find nothing great about America at all.

I'd have to disagree strongly.

As I've recently noted, our history includes a mix of both good and bad... but on the whole, a lot more good than bad.

Specifically though, it is a question as to whether representative democracy would have been so widespread in the world without America's example, and what might have happened in regard to WW2, and to the Soviets afterward, had there been no America.

We're still the place so many want to live, to the point of sneaking in if they can't get in legally.

Yeah, on the whole, America is Great.

There are people on both sides making it trend. There are MANY people agreeing completely that America was never great because of slavery and the Native American genocides. They find nothing great about America at all.

You're making a leap I don't agree with. Donald Trump thinks America isn't great, but that's not to say he believes nothing about America is great.

And the "trending" is because of a spike of activity today which is mostly false patriotism. Look at the time stamps. Most of the "not great" crowd posted before today.

I'm not one of those hyper patriotic types but idiotic things like that make me want to be. Of course America is great. It's the only superpower, we drive global culture and policy, we have the most liberal freedoms.

Objectively America is great.

Yes. America is objectively great. Perhaps even the greatest nation in human history.

It's trending because angry idiots are mad that it exists in the first place. Like 99% of the posts are "IF YA DONT LIKE IT GIT OUT HURF DURF." You are the reason its trending.

Please explain the difference in meaning between the statement "America was never great" and the statement "There has never been anything great about America." How, exactly, is the poster being inaccuarate by "extrapolating" the first into the second?

Also, please explain why it makes anyone an idiot to be angry at those who choose to live in this country and yet habitually run it down. I despise anyone so unpatriotic, and I also realize most of these unpatriotic Americans consider themselves "liberals" or "progressives." Even us idiots can see plainly, just by reading these forums, how often posters with those political views either run America down or make excuses for others who do.

Why is it so popular on Twitter right now?

Because of racist morons tweeting it and then people who DO think America is great telling them how dumb they are and should just leave.

Please explain the difference in meaning between the statement "America was never great" and the statement "There has never been anything great about America." How, exactly, is the poster being inaccuarate by "extrapolating" the first into the second?
Because it's absolute thinking.
Factual Statement: Donald Trump doesn't think America is great.
Provably False Statement: Donald Trump thinks America has never been great.

Real world opinions are nuanced, and more complicated than 140 characters on twitter will show.

Also, please explain why it makes anyone an idiot to be angry at those who choose to live in this country and yet habitually run it down. I despise anyone so unpatriotic, and I also realize most of these unpatriotic Americans consider themselves "liberals" or "progressives." Even us idiots can see plainly, just by reading these forums, how often posters with those political views either run America down or make excuses for others who do.

You criticize America every day of your life, and call yourself patriotic. Why?

Because real world opinions are more nuanced than this.

Andie
‏@hrystyIes
#AmericaWasNeverGreat for women, for black women, for black men, for black people, queer black people, and queer POC, and POC women/men

(tweeted this morning)

Luffy Fiasco @ErrareAngelus
#AmericaWasNeverGreat for anyone not straight, white, male. Congrats on escaping UK just to implement the same ****.

tweeted just now

Without question, the United States of America is the greatest Nation on earth. It's foundational principles recognized the inalienable rights of free people to pursue life, liberty, and happiness, free from tyranny both domestic, and from afar.

Those who market something like #AmericaWasNeverGreat are likely frightened by the individual responsibility and initiative that is an inherent requirement in that promise, and hope they can find others who are equally handicapped.

Andie
‏@hrystyIes
#AmericaWasNeverGreat for women, for black women, for black men, for black people, queer black people, and queer POC, and POC women/men

(tweeted this morning)

Bill Cosby isn't a great man. Never was. (what with the mass raping and all)

But he was a great comedian.

Huh. I don't understand how these two opinions could possibly be reconciled. Welp!

Because of racist morons tweeting it and then people who DO think America is great telling them how dumb they are and should just leave.

Yeah, I see people saying stuff like "America was never great because America's never cared for POC." and I'm also seeing "If you really think America was never great you deserve to be deported".

Happy 4th of July I guess? :shrug:

Last edited:
Without question, the United States of America is the greatest Nation on earth. It's foundational principles recognized the inalienable rights of free people to pursue life, liberty, and happiness, free from tyranny both domestic, and from afar.

Those who market something like #AmericaWasNeverGreat are likely frightened by the individual responsibility and initiative that is an inherent requirement in that promise, and hope they can find others who are equally handicapped.

See, this is the kind of shallow, fake, myopic patriotism that annoys people like me. Mindlessly vomiting the catch phrases without really considering them. Founded on inalienable rights? Sure. If you were white, male, and a landowner. The rest had to wait a bit. We're the greatest because FREEDOM? Like 90% of the world's countries have freedom. To steal from a comedian: in Amsterdam I can bang a hooker while smoking weed in front of a police officer. Now that's freedom right there.

What I'm saying is, "has freedom" doesn't make us stand out from the crowd.

Those people are morons...to be blunt. Many people remove historical perspective and look at the world through their own slanted perspective. EVERYONE practiced slavery. Hell...Africans still do. Its not even a worst kept secret...its right out in the open. Indians on this continent practiced slavery and won gains by conquest. Anyone that actually believes they were this collective of peace loving conservationists that loved and nurtured the land is an idiot. They fought, they killed, they enslaved. They butchered people in some of the most horrific ways imaginable.

Yeah...we have our flaws. One of the biggest flaws we have is this tendency to rest on others laurels or claim victim status for and on behalf of someone else. And the reason THAT can even happen is because...well...America is pretty great. But as someone that has traveled the world on multiple occasions I know there is no place else I would rather call home. And I absolutely invite all those that are roiling in self hatred and self loathing or worse...borrowed loathing to PLEASE...dont punish yourself another minute. Make plans today to go where you would actually be happy. Send postcards. Nothing but love.

Last edited:
Andie
‏@hrystyIes

(tweeted this morning)

Luffy Fiasco @ErrareAngelus
#AmericaWasNeverGreat for anyone not straight, white, male. Congrats on escaping UK just to implement the same ****.

tweeted just now

That is just the sort of anti-American claim leftist dim bulbs love to make. And yet America is great enough that millions of these sullen, grasping ignoramuses choose to take up space here. If the American people at the time of Pearl Harbor had been the American people of today, the streets would have been full of angry curs burning U.S. flags and waving the Rising Sun, while making excuses for why Japan had felt compelled to defend itself against American aggression.

I think I am going to wade into the kerfuffle. If Americans want to say that America was never great, it is their right. They have the right to say whatever they like. I do not begrudge them that right, one bit, and whole heatedly support their fervent exercise of their right to free speech. Even if what these twits are saying is patently stupid.

See, this is the kind of shallow, fake, myopic patriotism that annoys people like me. Mindlessly vomiting the catch phrases without really considering them.

The same can be said for those who cite slavery, Native genocide and other atrocities that happened centuries ago and completely ignoring the amazing leaps this country has made to becoming a country where people of all races, gender and lifestyle are equal and free. Of course we still have our problems - we'll never be perfect -- but America IS a great country, for the most part.

I mean if you were a rich white christian heterosexual male... then yeah its been pretty great otherwise no not at all.

I mean if you were a rich white christian heterosexual male... then yeah its been pretty great otherwise no not at all.

Really? You can't think of anything great for other people?

Back
Top Bottom