• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America was never great

All the countries where women have the right to vote gained it in the 1900s (except for the few behind the times who finally got on board in the 21st century). And is that not great that women can vote?

Did you know woman couldn't vote on the federal level in Switzerland until 1971? Whoa. I didn't know that until I just looked up women's suffrage around the world.

so what your saying is that even though "america" took womens rights as human beings away from them, its okay because eventually (and with much protest) they gave them their basic rights, like being allowed to vote? if america is such a great country why didnt they let women and black people vote for the entirety of its existence?

btw black women didn't get the right to vote in 1920, they had to wait until 1965

I guess white isn't a color anymore

This time of the year I am brown. Light brown, but brown nonetheless. It isn't easy being a POC just part of the year. Does someone know what I can get for free for my temporary victim status?

Says the put upon Commie. Did you even research what Communism was before hand?

how does communism benefit rich white christian men?

so what your saying is that even though "america" took womens rights as human beings away from them, its okay because eventually (and with much protest) they gave them their basic rights, like being allowed to vote? if america is such a great country why didnt they let women and black people vote for the entirety of its existence?

btw black women didn't get the right to vote in 1920, they had to wait until 1965

Incorrect. The 19th Amendment was for all women. Only in some southern states did African American women and men have to jump through 8,000 legal hoops to vote.

how does communism benefit rich white christian men?

Communism benefits no one. That's why it has failed or is failing.

I'm saying as long as you follow that ideology, being a straight WASP is the least of anyone's troubles.

I guess the hashtag #AmericaIsPrettyGoodButIThinkItCanBeBetterWithSomeAdjustmentsInOurPoliticalSystemAndPoliciesBroughtForthByThePeopleForThePeopleBecauseChangeCanNotHappenThroughSlogansAndCatchPhrasesSpatOutByCareerPoliticiansAndMegalomaniacsOnlyOutToAdvanceTheirOwnGoalsInsteadOfTheInterestOfTheAmericanPeople is just too big for Twitter?

The hashtag #AmericaWasNeverGreat is popular on Twitter today. Do you agree that there's nothing great about America and there never has been anything great about America?
I disagree, vehemently.

America rose to it's pinnacle of greatness in the second half of the twentieth century, where she rose to shine like no other in nearly all the important terms: military, economic, democratic principle, science & technology, judicial, culture, academics, spirit, sports, and many others. She didn't just dominate, but set the course, led the field, and became the beacon of hope!

We litterally led a distraught, disparate, and disenfranchised world out of the abyss of world war, cap-stoning those decades with placing a man on the moon!

The only thing more exciting than reading about those decades, is of course experiencing them, and it's my greatest joy and lucky fortune to have been able to have experienced a few of those years as a child!

It was a great time to be alive - I haven't experienced anything like it since (though watching my father's former country - Poland - bring down the Soviet Union and Berlin Wall was pretty close).

not to mention the intentional attempts to disrupt and destabilize democratically elected governments there

As I recall both sides certainly did a lot of that back during the Cold War

America has been great since the day it liberated itself from colonial slavery.

Even with all its flaws, it's one of history's greatest. You don't even need to be a patriot to see that.

People seem to think greatness is about a lack of flaws, it's not.

America isn't all bad.

I love visiting, and obviously the chaos of American fuelled drug wars in Central America and Mexico makes the relative safety and relatively better opportunities of America alluring.

But let's not forget again, that it is Americans relative affluence and insatiable appetite for illicit drugs, compounded by the idiotic and incorrect policy of prohibition that is PART of the reason these countries south of your border are in very dire situations that force people north.

I don't think the problem will magically go away if hard drugs are suddenly legalized though.

how many have americans murdered alone between the slave trade and the indian genocide? not to mention every capitalist country in all of human history, take your strawman elsewhere

How many did Stalin, Mao, and others murder under the banner of communism?

Back
Top Bottom