• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America that no longer exists.

Where are the pictures of women getting paid less than men? Where is the picture of Alan Turing, who killed himself because he feared being outed as gay? Where is the picture of the black men being lynched by whites? Where are the pictures from the dust bowl?

Heck, how about pictures of some fine actors and actresses from today? Brad Pitt, Robin Weigart, Dame Helen Mirren... so many more!

There is no "perfect" era of American history; but thank goodness our country continues to improve itself with every decade, in the area of women's rights, civil rights, and yes - marriage equality and other things that are blocking discrimination based on sexual orientation. We are slowly getting closer to our true ideals - all created equal.

I am glad the American of the 30s (depression), the 40s (WW II and the dropping of the atom bomb), the 50s (McCarthyism, women pushed back into the house) no longer exists. There were good moments in those decades such as Truman integrating the military service; but there were horrible moments as well.

I like our advances in medical and other technology too.

Not so thrilled with the Patriot act, but the govt has been overbearing in prior generations as well.

We continue to improve, to achieve, and to expand rights to more groups.

Yea for now! and hope tomorrow will be even better!
I would take those defining times of American history long before I would take todays.
Today hard work is looked at as a joke.
Today we appease our enemies.
Today we bow to Saudi Kings.
Today we fight losing battles for no reason.
Today we have major cities being abandond.
Today we dont "make" anything.'
Today we just take.
Today we fawn over the gay man, while looking down your noses at real men.
Today we make heros out of black thug punks with guns.
Today we know more about our football teams then our own history.
Give me 1955 any day.

All pretty worthless. But then there have always been worthless people that have attention whored themselves to the front pages.

Andy Warhol is worthless? Right, one of the greatest artists in the 20th century is worthless because of his sexuality. I don't think you really understand this country or its values.

Andy Warhol is worthless? Right, one of the greatest artists in the 20th century is worthless because of his sexuality. I don't think you really understand this country or its values.

Give me Michael Goddard any day over Warhol.

1) Boeing B-29 Superfortress named "Enola Gay" was the one bomber that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan during World War II. It was the first plane that dropped the atomic bomb as a weapon.

2)The shooting of the legendary movie "Star Wars" spaceship inside Millenium Falcon:

3) First team Google in 1999:

4) A ticket to the cruise liner Titanic:

5) The movie is a legend. 1966.

Actually, that is 2 American, 2 English and 1 Italian (they were not called "Spaghetti Westerns" for nothing).

Actually, I never thought much of him as an artist, but as more of a pitch man and a trendsetter in popular culture (which he himself often lampooned).

If I had to pick the best artist of the 20th century, I would pick Salvador Dali myself.

Actually, I never thought much of him as an artist, but as more of a pitch man and a trendsetter in popular culture (which he himself often lampooned).

If I had to pick the best artist of the 20th century, I would pick Salvador Dali myself.

The point remains, homosexuals, both known and unknown, were a part of building any part of those bygone days that some yearn for. And discounting those contributions because of the sexuality of those contributing is unjustified and pointless. Also just plain dumb.

The point remains, homosexuals, both known and unknown, were a part of building any part of those bygone days that some yearn for. And discounting those contributions because of the sexuality of those contributing is unjustified and pointless. Also just plain dumb.

And this is 100% irrelevant. I could not care less what the sexuality of an individual is to be honest. Although I admit it made a good song.

Wows1.jpg

I would take those defining times of American history long before I would take todays.
Today hard work is looked at as a joke.
Today we appease our enemies.
Today we bow to Saudi Kings.
Today we fight losing battles for no reason.
Today we have major cities being abandond.
Today we dont "make" anything.'
Today we just take.
Today we fawn over the gay man, while looking down your noses at real men.
Today we make heros out of black thug punks with guns.
Today we know more about our football teams then our own history.
Give me 1955 any day.

Then I will assume you are a straight white man, probably with a decent job.

Women don't want to go back to 1955; minorities don't want to go back to 1955; and LGBTs don't want to go back to 1955. But then, women/minorities/LGBTs didn't run the country like white men did. I understand why straight white men might like to have the power again; tough.

By the way - your "Todays" up there?? um, no mostly. Hard work isn't looked on as a joke; we don't bow to anyone; do we fight losing battles for no reason? well, yeah - look at the Korean war in the 50s, hasn't changed, we were not better then in this area. Major cities being abandoned? Well, Detroit has problems for many reasons, but don't know too many others that are being abandoned. We do make things - but I agree, shipping factory jobs overseas has hurt our country. We do make a lot of things still. We don't just take; no idea what you mean by that. "Fawn" over gay men? Tell that to Matthew Shepard. Or maybe you consider those who killed him to be "real men". Heros of black thug punks?? HELLO!!! Was Z a black thug punk??? yet he's the hero with the gun these days.

Do we know more about football teams than our history now? Well, I'll give you that one. Not sure it was that much different in 1955, but of course, there was less history there.

And this is 100% irrelevant. I could not care less what the sexuality of an individual is to be honest. Although I admit it made a good song.

Wows1.jpg

That's nice. But they sure cared back then. Read up on Alan Turing - a genius, hounded to suicide because he was gay. Look at people who were kicked out of their jobs because they were gay or lesbian. The schoolteachers that had to hide who they were.

I'm glad you don't care. But there sure are a lot who did and who still do. Like the one who started this thread.

Everyone knows - the U.S. criminal country. And you're right - telling about the atrocities of America. On Crimes U.S. a lot to say. Starting the genocide of the Indians, ending - Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. And the the persecution of the of honest people for giving information the crimes of the U.S. government. But I wanted to show this part of America, which is loved all over the world. The more the United States can be proud of. I purposely did not speak about the shame of homosexual marriages (the first step on the road to freedom pedophiles, bestiality, and other mentally retarded maniacs)

A LOT of commies agree with you.

Then I will assume you are a straight white man, probably with a decent job.

Women don't want to go back to 1955; minorities don't want to go back to 1955; and LGBTs don't want to go back to 1955. But then, women/minorities/LGBTs didn't run the country like white men did. I understand why straight white men might like to have the power again; tough.

By the way - your "Todays" up there?? um, no mostly. Hard work isn't looked on as a joke; we don't bow to anyone; do we fight losing battles for no reason? well, yeah - look at the Korean war in the 50s, hasn't changed, we were not better then in this area. Major cities being abandoned? Well, Detroit has problems for many reasons, but don't know too many others that are being abandoned. We do make things - but I agree, shipping factory jobs overseas has hurt our country. We do make a lot of things still. We don't just take; no idea what you mean by that. "Fawn" over gay men? Tell that to Matthew Shepard. Or maybe you consider those who killed him to be "real men". Heros of black thug punks?? HELLO!!! Was Z a black thug punk??? yet he's the hero with the gun these days.

Do we know more about football teams than our history now? Well, I'll give you that one. Not sure it was that much different in 1955, but of course, there was less history there.
Straight, white and well employeed.
Most young people today dont want to "work". They want to get paid.
And trust me, for the most part. Straight white men still run things.
We dont bow? Really? May want to look up the pic of Obama on his apology tour in 2009.
Oh, and please dont throw the Matthew Sheppard out there, that was murder.
We dont fight usless wars? What do you call Iraq and Afganistan?
1955 was a time in this country were we were powerful as a nation, we were building, expanding, inventing.
Now we are just tredding water.

That's nice. But they sure cared back then. Read up on Alan Turing - a genius, hounded to suicide because he was gay. Look at people who were kicked out of their jobs because they were gay or lesbian. The schoolteachers that had to hide who they were.

I'm glad you don't care. But there sure are a lot who did and who still do. Like the one who started this thread.

For one, you are talking about England, not the United States.
For two, you are talking about over 60 years ago, things are much different now.
For three, he was convicted of lewd behavior, a lot having to do with this 39 year old man had an 19 year old boyfriend. As a convicted felon, he lost his security clearance and hence his job. Nobody "hounded" him.

I for one do not obsess over a person's sexuality, I could not care less. That is their own freaking personal business, and I no more want it shoved into my face then I would shove my preferences into somebody else's face. Funny how people are constantly screaming that people like me "want to get into people's bedrooms", when in reality nothing is farther from the truth. And I find it rather disgusting when people insist on shoving their preferences and behaviors into my face.

Heck, I do not even care if somebody is into necrophilia, as long as the individual consented before it was a corpse. And if you like sex with animals, as long as they are consenting and of legal age, knock yourself out as far as I am concerned.

That does not mean I want to know anything about it however.

So I think you really need to get a grip, and realize that when I say "I do not care", I really do not care. It is their personal business, and I do not want to know it.

And BTW, the OP in this is blaming homosexuals on the problems of the United States. And if you notice I have said nothing to support that opinion at all, in fact I think it is dead wrong.

We dont fight usless wars? What do you call Iraq and Afganistan?
1955 was a time in this country were we were powerful as a nation, we were building, expanding, inventing.
Now we are just tredding water.

a) I didn't say we didn't fight useless wars. I said we fought them in the 50s as well

b) we were powerful? we're still pretty powerful now. Oh we can't make other countries bow down and do our bidding maybe (if we ever could); there are a lot of other powerful countries now. But we have a hell of a lot of influence now.

We are still inventing and expanding; ok, we killed the space program, which sucks. But there is a lot of invention going on right now.

Go back to the 50s if you want to. The rest of us are moving forward; in so many ways, it's getting better every year.

For one, you are talking about England, not the United States.
For two, you are talking about over 60 years ago, things are much different now.
For three, he was convicted of lewd behavior, a lot having to do with this 39 year old man had an 19 year old boyfriend. As a convicted felon, he lost his security clearance and hence his job. Nobody "hounded" him.

I for one do not obsess over a person's sexuality, I could not care less. That is their own freaking personal business, and I no more want it shoved into my face then I would shove my preferences into somebody else's face. Funny how people are constantly screaming that people like me "want to get into people's bedrooms", when in reality nothing is farther from the truth. And I find it rather disgusting when people insist on shoving their preferences and behaviors into my face.

Heck, I do not even care if somebody is into necrophilia, as long as the individual consented before it was a corpse. And if you like sex with animals, as long as they are consenting and of legal age, knock yourself out as far as I am concerned.

That does not mean I want to know anything about it however.

So I think you really need to get a grip, and realize that when I say "I do not care", I really do not care. It is their personal business, and I do not want to know it.

And BTW, the OP in this is blaming homosexuals on the problems of the United States. And if you notice I have said nothing to support that opinion at all, in fact I think it is dead wrong.

I never said you cared about orientation. What I said was in the 50s they DID and they hounded people in Europe and in the US. You say it was 60 years ago and things are different now- that was MY point. They are different and much better now. Who the frack wants to go back to that horrible time?

Except maybe white straight men who think power is leaving them somehow.

a) I didn't say we didn't fight useless wars. I said we fought them in the 50s as well

b) we were powerful? we're still pretty powerful now. Oh we can't make other countries bow down and do our bidding maybe (if we ever could); there are a lot of other powerful countries now. But we have a hell of a lot of influence now.

We are still inventing and expanding; ok, we killed the space program, which sucks. But there is a lot of invention going on right now.

Go back to the 50s if you want to. The rest of us are moving forward; in so many ways, it's getting better every year.
Define better.

I never said you cared about orientation. What I said was in the 50s they DID and they hounded people in Europe and in the US. You say it was 60 years ago and things are different now- that was MY point. They are different and much better now. Who the frack wants to go back to that horrible time?

Except maybe white straight men who think power is leaving them somehow.

2461-forget-about-the-past-you-cant-change-history-but-you-can.png

Define better.

More rights for women, minorities, LGBT folks. ***** and this is huge. We're not longer treating people like second class citizens because they aren't white straight males

Better medicine

Better technology.

We're living longer.

We work with other countries as partners, we're not trying to boss them around.

Cold war is over. Seen any kids ducking under desks lately?

We got to the moon! Look at all we've learned about space!

Science in general - amazing stuff!

A man who is half black is president, and not only do most of us not care about his race, we're talking about a woman becoming president soon! Pretty amazing!

Food is better - the 50s were the time of the factory tomato; now most of us have choices

Cleaner air, cleaner water

It's a great time to be alive and tomorrow will be better.

1950s? The Leave it to Beaver era? Where women were working, but only minority and poor woman and they were in low-paid occupations.

Women aren't considered sluts now if they sleep with a man. Birth control! whooo oooo!!! We can plan our families, which leads to healthier kids and better positioned families.

Kids! More of them are living these days! And look at all the diseases that we've been able to almost eliminate with vaccines! (ok, boo on the anti-vaccine people, but there aren't a lot of them)

We have a nation where a Mormon almost became president! How amazing is that! We have so opened our minds and hearts; it's amazing! Got more to do, but we've come a long way!

More rights for women, minorities, LGBT folks. ***** and this is huge. We're not longer treating people like second class citizens because they aren't white straight males

Better medicine

Better technology.

We're living longer.

We work with other countries as partners, we're not trying to boss them around.

Cold war is over. Seen any kids ducking under desks lately?

We got to the moon! Look at all we've learned about space!

Science in general - amazing stuff!

A man who is half black is president, and not only do most of us not care about his race, we're talking about a woman becoming president soon! Pretty amazing!

Food is better - the 50s were the time of the factory tomato; now most of us have choices

Cleaner air, cleaner water

It's a great time to be alive and tomorrow will be better.

1950s? The Leave it to Beaver era? Where women were working, but only minority and poor woman and they were in low-paid occupations.

Women aren't considered sluts now if they sleep with a man. Birth control! whooo oooo!!! We can plan our families, which leads to healthier kids and better positioned families.

Kids! More of them are living these days! And look at all the diseases that we've been able to almost eliminate with vaccines! (ok, boo on the anti-vaccine people, but there aren't a lot of them)

We have a nation where a Mormon almost became president! How amazing is that! We have so opened our minds and hearts; it's amazing! Got more to do, but we've come a long way!
And most of these feel good measures have done nothing but tear us apart.

The real America.
Nuotraukos_failai_ir_idomios_nuorodos_Grazus_kadrai_2005_40.jpg

Sometimes, the communists are right.

An Example?
Communists were wrong:
- The Soviet system failed after 70 years, Capitalism is still going on after 100 +
- They claimed "Imperialist America" was threatening them, whilst they occupied Eastern Europe and Quite a bit of North west Asia.
- They Claimed the people of Eastern Europe wanted the Soviets to free them from "the repressive proletariat" whilst they set up forced labour camps and secret police. The Czechs and Hungarians rose up against them in the 1950's and 1960's.

Communism has very rarely been right.

An Example?
Communists were wrong:
- The Soviet system failed after 70 years, Capitalism is still going on after 100 +
- They claimed "Imperialist America" was threatening them, whilst they occupied Eastern Europe and Quite a bit of North west Asia.
- They Claimed the people of Eastern Europe wanted the Soviets to free them from "the repressive proletariat" whilst they set up forced labour camps and secret police. The Czechs and Hungarians rose up against them in the 1950's and 1960's.

Communism has very rarely been right.

1) В Советском Союзе была попытка построить социализм. Нет успешная попытка. Я согласен. Нет опыта - это первая попытка в мире. Но капитализм все больше превращается в социализм. (социального обеспечения и других социальных программ)
2) It turned out - the Communists were right. Look at Libya, Syria, Iraq .... Afghanistan. "Imperialist America" as it turned out surprisingly aggressive and angry state. Furthermore. For example, U.S is still occupied by the Germany.
3) About the secret police and repression in the 50s of the last century, it is ridiculous to say the state, which in the 21st century holds a total surveillance of its citizens and Abu Ghraib - Guantanamo. Do you agree? In addition, the Hungarians supported fascism

1) В Советском Союзе была попытка построить социализм. Нет успешная попытка. Я согласен. Нет опыта - это первая попытка в мире. Но капитализм все больше превращается в социализм. (социального обеспечения и других социальных программ)
2) It turned out - the Communists were right. Look at Libya, Syria, Iraq .... Afghanistan. "Imperialist America" as it turned out surprisingly aggressive and angry state. Furthermore. For example, U.S is still occupied by the Germany.
3) About the secret police and repression in the 50s of the last century, it is ridiculous to say the state, which in the 21st century holds a total surveillance of its citizens and Abu Ghraib - Guantanamo. Do you agree?

1) (The Soviet Union was an attempt to build socialism. No successful attempt. I agree. No experience - this is the first attempt in the world. But capitalism is increasingly turning into socialism. (social security and other social programs)) Correct Translation yes? If so..

Capitalism is not turning to Socialism, albeit the government is regulating more, that doesn't mean socialism.

2)However the Soviets were occupying countries, America is simply invading rather than occupying, however both are bad, just America is less bad since they leave (after far to long)

3) However the Soviets were watching and keeping tabs on any dissenting citizens of those "countries" (which were soviet satellites). America does not do that.

the Hungarians supported fascism

Any Proof?

1) (The Soviet Union was an attempt to build socialism. No successful attempt. I agree. No experience - this is the first attempt in the world. But capitalism is increasingly turning into socialism. (social security and other social programs)) Correct Translation yes? If so..

Capitalism is not turning to Socialism, albeit the government is regulating more, that doesn't mean socialism.

2)However the Soviets were occupying countries, America is simply invading rather than occupying, however both are bad, just America is less bad since they leave (after far to long)

3) However the Soviets were watching and keeping tabs on any dissenting citizens of those "countries" (which were soviet satellites). America does not do that.

Any Proof?

1) Socialism \ capitalism - is the political-philosophical question. And long conversation. Let's leave it to the professionals.
2) USSR was present in the other countries at the request of the governments of these countries. In addition, the USSR built in those countries - schools, factories, roads, dams .... (If you're interested - look in Google. Example. What built the Soviet Union in Afghanistan. What built the USA in Afghanistan. Compare. And you will understand who is "less bad")
3) for example - Thousands take to streets in Germany to protest US surveillance of Internet - Washington Post

Аny proof?

Are you laughing? Or kidding?
Hungary, like Romania, Italy, japan, norway, finland ..... .... in World War II fought on the side of the fascists. Hungary in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom