• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

America: Republic or Democracy

Republic or Democracy

• Republic

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • Democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FiremanRyan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
so what do you guys think? is America a republic or a democracy?

heres a couple definitions:

Republic: One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whom those powers are specially delegated.

Democracy: That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy.

no way in hell we are a democracy with this fascist idiot in charged :shock:

Last edited:
Shye said:
no way in hell we are a democracy with this fascist idiot in charged :shock:

way off. not even on topic but if youre going to make claims that the Bush admin is some kind of fascist government, you'd better have something solid to back it up with.

Last edited:
We are a republic, and this is a good thing because we can't vote on anything in regards to a citizens natural rights. (None of us can vote to take away someone's property, that person's rights are protected).

Democracy is actually a bad thing, we don't want a democracy. We need to remove the idea from the public that we are a democracy, an idea driven by schools, the Media.....

Melchior said:
We are a republic, and this is a good thing because we can't vote on anything in regards to a citizens natural rights. (None of us can vote to take away someone's property, that person's rights are protected).
We don't need to vote on that. The government takes it as it pleases.
;)
Personally I've been feeling lately like we are a dictatorship. But i'm blindly optimistic that I'm wrong. My husband is a foreigner. I think he was most surprised to find that we are not as "FREE" as we are perceived to be.

Okay, let me clarify, we are supposed to be a republic.

But the republic is dead. If you want proof, just read the words Federal Reserve Note at the top of the dollar. :(

Citizens have so many rights, the government has so many limits, but the people don't know about them...

Melchior said:
Okay, let me clarify, we are supposed to be a republic.
right! ;)

(sorry for the nitpicking... I was feeling a bit moody. ;) )

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands...

So what are we now? Do we have an oligarchy turning into a communist government?

Glad to see someone who knows whats going on. :usflag2:

I would like a revolution without a rebellion, and I do believe that can be done with open debates.

America was not described as a democracy until around 1914 . . . . .

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. -- Thomas Jefferson

matay_brit said:
A republic is nothing more than minority rule, where ten percent of the people may take away the rights of the other ninety. -- me
That would make sense if it applied. But it doesn't apply...

Republic,which is a good thing as unchecked democracy would ravage the liberal institutions that make America tick.Proect your liberty before your democracy.

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. -- Thomas Jefferson

True. ;)

We are neither. We're an Oligarchy! And no one wants to admit it.

Last edited:
Billo_Really said:
I believe Melchior and I both mentioned the possibility of being an Oligarchy.
ol·i·gar·chy

1. Government by a few, especially by a small faction of persons or families.
    2. Those making up such a government.
  1. A state governed by a few persons.
It worries me lately that some things have happened via "election" and "majority" yet I can find very few people who actually support it. I am not prone to conspiracy theory, but sometimes I wonder. IF something like vote rigging is going on behind the scenes and the administration really is trying to pull a fast one on us... THEN we are an oligarchy. Until then, no, but dangerously close.

Billo_Really said:

Please explain how we are an oligarchy. I do not believe this.

Oh, we live in an oligarchy, albeit a benevolent one...

Oligarchy is a form of government where most political power effectively rests with a small segment of society (typically the most powerful, whether by wealth, military strength, ruthlessness, or political influence).

I not only think we have an Oligarchy, I think we are losing our country due to Corporatism. If the American voter (the little guy, so to speak) had a representative government (For the People, by the People...), how then do you explain the recent vote on "Eminent Domain". Ever since they (our government) gave corporations "inalienable rights" (as though they were human), we've been in trouble. Because they have much more capitol with which to lobby there special interests. And when you look at all the "out-sourcing" they are doing, if we don't make our government more representative of us, it won't be long before we become a third world country.

The link below explains this (giving corp's human rights) in more detail.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/063005X.shtml

The existance of the Oligarchy is proven by the laws being made to systematically strip Americans of our Constitutional rights. As in the Patriot Act. I'm not willing to give up one god-damn right to fight the war on terror. Not one. But they went ahead and voted in to law a document most of them hadn't even read! Why? Maybe the answer is in the WTO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom