• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America Is Going To Vote by Mail. We're Not Ready.

Honestly, in 2020 I don't see why this isn't just standard everywhere. It's a solid system, it allows tracking your vote and to see when its been counted, it increases voter participation, etc. I think it's a great system to switch to and we wouldn't be in this "holy ****, what are we going to do?" moment now if we had made this switch earlier.

We don't even have to be in this position. It can be set up, but it's in Trump's interest not to devote resources to any problem areas. He does the opposite, instead.

We don't even have to be in this position. It can be set up, but it's in Trump's interest not to devote resources to any problem areas. He does the opposite, instead.

Well I will say it's not 100% on der Trumph. CO cemented its Mail-In system 7 years ago, and before that had been working on it. There are States that have run a form of Mail-In before Trump started. Now it's in Trump's best interest to downplay mail-in....but we also had plenty of opportunity before hand.

Now compare that to around a hundred million who have never voted by mail. Compare that to states who's absentee systems were never designed to handle millions of mail in ballots...in each state.

We'll be luck if we know who supposedly won the election a week after voting day.

You mean, like how it was in the days before internet, television and radio? even with the telegraph it still took time...

You mean, like how it was in the days before internet, television and radio? even with the telegraph it still took time...

If you say so.

Is that what you want? To go back in time?

Yes. It CAN be set up. But to do it right, it takes time. A half a dozen months right before the election isn't enough time.

Not ready? :lol:

The systems are already set up. If the country isn't ready it is because Trump is actively undermining USPS.

The systems, like in WA are set to provide show elections that democrats either rig or ignore.

It’s not set up for a nationwide use of mail in ballots.

And in any event coronavirus is so undangerous and elections have traditionally taken place in previous centuries when far more dangerous contagious diseases were the norm. So it’s unnecessary.

Instead of everyone complaining and arguing about our preparedness, how about the government step in and fund it and prepare us. A little instruction and some well trained poll workers is all we need. Fund the P.O. and everything will be fine.

That's not what Trump and the GOP want. They want to scare as many democrats out of voting as possible. Make it real hard for them. A lovely perspective on what's going on.

Stop making sense!

The systems, like in WA are set to provide show elections that democrats either rig or ignore.

It’s not set up for a nationwide use of mail in ballots.

And in any event coronavirus is so undangerous and elections have traditionally taken place in previous centuries when far more dangerous contagious diseases were the norm. So it’s unnecessary.

That is utterly ridiculous. No one should risk their life to vote

America Is Going To Vote by Mail. We’re Not Ready. – Reason.com

Excellent article. Prepare for chaos in the upcoming elections.

Chaos is already here, been here for some time now.

As to voting by mail, I don't see all the anxiety, but maybe I'm missing something.

I've seen several things on TV about certain jurisdictions who have been voting by mail for years I think.

I have several friends who have always voted by absentee ballot, which is voting by mail.

Seems political to me.

I will be voting on Sept. 19. and will hand deliver my ballot at the registrar's office. I would advise others to do the same.

I will certainly be voting in person at my assigned voting district. That is the last thing anti-American Democrat filth want.

The postal service is not being sabotaged, it’s being forced to be responsible. The postal service was never meant to conduct elections and every year technology forces the USPS further into irrelevance.

You know that the USPS only serves a very tiny piece of Alaska, right? Only the major towns and cities have access to USPS services, nobody else. Most Alaska villages don't even have ZIP Codes, much less mail delivery. Every village west of Bethel, for example, is required to share Bethel's ZIP Code. When the USPS delivers the mail to Bethel it is private pilots who then deliver the mail to those villages. The reverse is also true. Villages must give their mail to private pilots, who then fly their mail to the nearest city with a ZIP Code.

Even I can't get the USPS to deliver or pick-up mail at my home, and I live on the road system. I have to drive to town to pick up my mail from a P.O. Box.

The USPS is completely ineffective in Alaska.

You know that the USPS only serves a very tiny piece of Alaska, right? Only the major towns and cities have access to USPS services, nobody else. Most Alaska villages don't even have ZIP Codes, much less mail delivery. Every village west of Bethel, for example, is required to share Bethel's ZIP Code. When the USPS delivers the mail to Bethel it is private pilots who then deliver the mail to those villages. The reverse is also true. Villages must give their mail to private pilots, who then fly their mail to the nearest city with a ZIP Code.

Even I can't get the USPS to deliver or pick-up mail at my home, and I live on the road system. I have to drive to town to pick up my mail from a P.O. Box.

The USPS is completely ineffective in Alaska.

Why should the rest of the US subsidize mail delivery to your home which might cost $10 per letter?

Why should the rest of the US subsidize mail delivery to your home which might cost $10 per letter?

For the same reason taxpayers subsidizes mail delivery to your home. Or do you think you are somehow special?

The US Constitution requires Congress "to establish post offices and post roads." Congress has clearly failed their constitutional responsibility.

For the same reason taxpayers subsidizes mail delivery to your home. Or do you think you are somehow special?

The US Constitution requires Congress "to establish post offices and post roads." Congress has clearly failed their constitutional responsibility.

The cost to deliver mail or packages in an urban or suburban area is orders of magnitude lower than rural Alaska.

You have access to mail, and I do not see in the constitution that it has to be delivered to your home or at the same cost

The cost to deliver mail or packages in an urban or suburban area is orders of magnitude lower than rural Alaska.

You have access to mail, and I do not see in the constitution that it has to be delivered to your home or at the same cost

Last time I checked the US Constitution it did not make a distinction between urban and rural mail delivery. You might want to actually read the US Constitution.

Only about half the population has access to USPS services in Alaska. As I previously posted, the other half of the population have to use private carriers to get their mail to a USPS facility. UPS, FedEx, and DHL will all deliver to remote villages (and my home) at a cheaper rate than the USPS. Which is what most Alaskans use for the delivery of packages. The USPS should be abolished completely. It serves no useful purpose, at least not in Alaska.

50,000 American troops voted by mail during the Civil War.

Over a million American troops voted by mail during WWII.

Military people have been voting by mail for over a hundred years without major problems.

My community's population is about 273K, enough to have had a large central Post Office and several branches. Nevertheless, the USPS decided a couple of years ago that all mail needed to be sent to a much larger city about 100 miles away. That's right; if you mail something locally, it has to be transported to another city and then sent back, which I think is stupid.

Last night I attended my charity's exec committee meeting on Zoom and learned that a check issued 7 weeks ago to help pay someone needy's utility bill never arrived. So the check was cancelled, which costs money, and a new one reissued and hand-carried to the utility company last week. While our person was there, the missing check was delivered.

So it took 6 weeks for a check mailed locally to be delivered locally. And we want problems such as this with mail-in ballots?!

Now compare that to around a hundred million who have never voted by mail. Compare that to states who's absentee systems were never designed to handle millions of mail in ballots...in each state.

We'll be luck if we know who supposedly won the election a week after voting day.[/B

So what, the 2000 Gore v Bush election took a month to sort out.........:shrug:

Stop with the Trump talking points.

My community's population is about 273K, enough to have had a large central Post Office and several branches. Nevertheless, the USPS decided a couple of years ago that all mail needed to be sent to a much larger city about 100 miles away. That's right; if you mail something locally, it has to be transported to another city and then sent back, which I think is stupid.

Last night I attended my charity's exec committee meeting on Zoom and learned that a check issued 7 weeks ago to help pay someone needy's utility bill never arrived. So the check was cancelled, which costs money, and a new one reissued and hand-carried to the utility company last week. While our person was there, the missing check was delivered.

So it took 6 weeks for a check mailed locally to be delivered locally. And we want problems such as this with mail-in ballots?!

The alternative is for people to risk death voting in person

So what, the 2000 Gore v Bush election took a month to sort out.........:shrug:

Stop with the Trump talking points.

You're right. That Gore/Bush thing only involved one state. It might take a year to find out who the President is.

You're right. That Gore/Bush thing only involved one state. It might take a year to find out who the President is.

That was not due to mail in voting

We'll be luck if we know who supposedly won the election a week after voting day.

Do you really think voters aren't capable of filling out a ballot at home (assuming they can master the pen vs ink challenge) and then mail it? States should be preparing which should include drop off locations like states already do.

Back
Top Bottom