• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

america being too liberal

SouthernDemocrat said:
What liberal wave during the Clinton years? Clinton was dead center ideologically.

i wasnt refering to Clinton himself.

Squawker said:
That doesn't describe American liberals. Some people in the country adopted the word to justify their lack of morality.

How can you say that? You generalize all "American liberals", then you say "some of the country".

My point was, the word liberal is clearly defined and individuals either fall under this category or they don't.

And there you go with assumeing that just because someone is liberal, it means they have no morals. Morality is totally subjective anyhow. Right and wrong are totally subjective. That's how you can have the differences between conservatives and liberals. They both feel that they're right and that the other's wrong.

SouthernDemocrat said:
What liberal wave during the Clinton years? Clinton was dead center ideologically.

He never proposed a single budget with more than 3% growth over the previous year. Bush on the other hand has averaged 8% growth in his budgets and Reagan averaged 11% growth in his budget proposals. During the Clinton years, NAFTA was passed and an immense amount of deregulation was instituted. What was that liberal agenda of the Clinton years?

You guys on the right just don’t get it and that’s why you have never managed to stay in power for long period of time. Most people hate ideology, and that’s all the right ever offers anymore. That’s why they like McCain, because by and large he is a pragmatist. That’s why they liked Clinton so much because by and large he was a pragmatist. I mean do you guys honestly believe that Joe southerner votes Republican because he believes in the principles of Supply Side Economics? I am from the south, and that isn’t the case, Joe Southerner votes Republican because the Republicans tell him that if that if he votes Democrat, gays will get to marry each other and his guns will get taken away. Its wedge issues that Republicans win on these days, not their core ideology and that is why Bush has such consistently poor approval numbers. People get scared, they vote for him, but they really don’t like how he runs the country. Contrast this with the Clinton years, people thought Clinton was an adulterer, but they really did like how he ran the country. Despite all the smear the Republicans through at him (remember the supposed Trouper-Gate or him supposedly giving spots at the National Cemetery to his contributors), Clinton consistently managed to have record high approval ratings.

I mean you right wingers are criticizing the Democrats for no solutions. They are not the party in power, they can’t get their solutions passed. No one likes those Republican solutions at all; Social Security reform is absolutely dead in the water. I mean look at what Bush offered up. Basically it was “Social Security may run into financial trouble at some point in the future and as a result it is possible that benefits may be cut if we don’t do something. So I propose that you agree to a guaranteed cut in benefits.” Really hasn’t sold to well. Wow, imagine that. This war in Iraq, people just love that, I mean gosh a war for nothing but ideological reasons, wonder why the support for it is so low now? Oh and lets not forget interfering with personal decisions at the federal level, that whole fiasco over a woman in Florida who we now know after the autopsy was practically brain dead, blind, and had no hope at all for any improvement. I can go on and on here.

The thing is, most people want two things out of the government: they want the government to largely stay out of their wallets, and they want the government to largely stay out of their personal lives. Basically, they want low taxes and beer on Sunday. Now Democrats have not been that great at times at staying out of folks wallets, but the old Big Brother Republicans cant seem to stay out of our lives at all. Right now, you have 20% of so of the population, the fundies, pretty much designing the whole GOP social platform. If they get their way, you can forget about your beer on Sunday, boobies on the internet, and keeping the government out of your bedroom, and when push comes to shove, average Joe American would take cold beer and boobies on the internet over a small tax cut any day. And that is why folks like moderates like Clinton and John McCain.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

I like your posts it makes a lot of sense to me.

Southern Democrat, we ought to get rich man to vote like that.

It's easy to take a look at the party in power and wonder how anyone can say we're too liberal. But, I believe that is the case.

We elect all of these conservatives to office, but how much conservative policy are we actually getting in return? We're not getting reduced budgets.

We are getting more conservative policy in some areas:

Reductions of Taxes: Yeah, there was a tax cut. It could probably be undone very easily. With no reduction in budget to supplement it, it won't mean much in the long run.

Reduction of Burdensome Regulations: hmm. It's hard to say. I'd have to do a lot more research. There's no obvious progress.

Judiciary: Many of Bush's judges seem to be true conservatives, but so far there's been no vacancies on the Supreme Court. I think that the recent court rulings on Property rights and states rights regarding drug laws were wrong, and supported by the more liberal side of the bench.

So, in these areas we're still too liberal.

On the religious-right side of things, I don't consider myself that kind of conserative so I wouldn't consider their influence a victory.

Back
Top Bottom