• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

America’s Schools are More Diverse Than Ever, But the Teachers are Still Mostly White

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The racial gap between teachers and students has widened as more young people of color have enrolled each year. In 1994, two-thirds of public school students were white; by 2016, fewer than half were. Over time, the ranks of teachers of color have grown. In 1988, 87 percent of public school teachers were white. By 2016, 80 percent were, according to federal data.

“You don’t want all of your Hispanic kids looking up to a bunch of white teachers and that’s basically what we have so, yeah, it’s an issue,” said Adam Schaible, superintendent of the Wright school district. “It’s not a front-burner issue for me or for my district. I think in the hiring process, we are always giving preference to people who are bilingual, bilingual Spanish. There aren’t that many of them.”

Sebastien Jean, 17, who is black and Hispanic, remembers that his elementary school teachers were all white, so he started acting what felt like white, absorbing what he called the “Caucasianness of it."

“I sort of lost my flavor,” he said.

That created tension with his mother. “I would go home and start talking about the weather and gas prices and my mom would be like, ‘Where did you get that from?’ ”

Schaible said he has tried to find Latino aides or other paraprofessionals for a countywide teacher-training program aimed at recruiting Latino teachers. But he said he hasn’t found anyone to recommend, partly because a bachelor’s degree is required to participate.

The Mecklers and Rabinowitz' of the world are outraged that Latino and black children are being taught by....blech...white teachers! Nevermind the fact that Meckler and Rabinowitz admit that being a teacher is often a thankless, unhappy profession with low pay:

People of color are less likely to go into teaching and less likely to stay in it. Education requirements, low pay, unhappy workplaces and lack of respect all can contribute. The result: At every step on the road from high school student to classroom teacher, people of color fall away.

It's not enough white children make up less than 50% of American students , now the Meckler Rabinowitz' demand that the teachers be non-white as well. Diversity means openly discriminating against the men & women who teach your children now, according to the Meckler Rabinowitz' of the world.

Given the fact that less than 50% of American children are white, and non-whites are either not educated enough, or simply not interested enough in becoming teachers, what might be in store for the American educational system in 20 years, when all those pesky pale white teachers retire?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/local/education/teacher-diversity/

The Mecklers and Rabinowitz' of the world are outraged that Latino and black children are being taught by....blech...white teachers! Nevermind the fact that Meckler and Rabinowitz admit that being a teacher is often a thankless, unhappy profession with low pay:

People of color are less likely to go into teaching and less likely to stay in it. Education requirements, low pay, unhappy workplaces and lack of respect all can contribute. The result: At every step on the road from high school student to classroom teacher, people of color fall away.

It's not enough white children make up less than 50% of American students , now the Meckler Rabinowitz' demand that the teachers be non-white as well. Diversity means openly discriminating against the men & women who teach your children now, according to the Meckler Rabinowitz' of the world.

Given the fact that less than 50% of American children are white, and non-whites are either not educated enough, or simply not interested enough in becoming teachers, what might be in store for the American educational system in 20 years, when all those pesky pale white teachers retire?

Why do you need a bachelors to teach basic education? Thats probably a problem, too much expense required to get and keep a job that doesn't pay enough to justify the expenditure and time.

Why do you need a bachelors to teach basic education? Thats probably a problem, too much expense required to get and keep a job that doesn't pay enough to justify the expenditure and time.

Probably. After all, homeschooled children typically score higher on standardized tests than public school children - and many of their parents have no degrees at all.

But, they care about their students more.

I don't think we need an artificial push to get more black and Hispanic teachers in the mix -- they'll go into teaching if they want to. Otherwise, they should be allowed to pursue the careers of their choice, whatever those may be.

Does lumping together rural America's schools and Urban schools make any sense here?

"Diversity" here implies that the race of the teacher should match the student. This is a racist concept. If a black student needs a black teacher, maybe they also need a black bathroom and a black water fountain?

Why do you need a bachelors to teach basic education?
Because colleges require you to take a crap ton of course which will never be of use to you, just so they can get more money. I took a philosophy of art class which actually satisfied two of my graduation requirements, but in no way had anything to do what my job has been for well over a decade (teacher).

Teachers need training. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant. But they need teacher training, not Philosophy of Art to become a math teacher.
Probably. After all, homeschooled children typically score higher on standardized tests than public school children - and many of their parents have no degrees at all.

You hit the nail on the head here.

Quality of education doesn't start with schools or teachers. It starts with parents/guardians. It is highly unlikely any teacher, no matter how good he/she is, can reach an unmotivated student with parents who either don't care or actively undermine the school/teacher.

The problem with public education isn't the schools/teachers (though there some bad ones out there, there are also many good ones...just like in any profession), it is with a society that constantly undervalues the importance of education.
Does lumping together rural America's schools and Urban schools make any sense here?
It does if you're trying to stir up racial animosity, which describes nearly all of this OP's threads.

That created tension with his mother. “I would go home and start talking about the weather and gas prices and my mom would be like, ‘Where did you get that from?’ ”
Hope he doesn't get a job in finance or science - Mom might get really pissed. Better to stick with jobs that have "flavor" - like a short order cook.

I don't think we need an artificial push to get more black and Hispanic teachers in the mix -- they'll go into teaching if they want to. Otherwise, they should be allowed to pursue the careers of their choice, whatever those may be.

There is no evidence to support that claim.

That is a no-brainer.

Here in Los Angeles, for example, the police department is no longer majority Caucasian.

In the coming decades, ALL professions (including teaching) will perforce be dominated by Latinx and then African Americans. (Caucasians will be the third largest group followed by Asians.)

Problem solved!

Diversity in education is an important part of pissing off nazis and ensuring that fewer of them exist in the next generation.

"People of color are less likely to go into teaching and less likely to stay in it. Education requirements, low pay, unhappy workplaces and lack of respect all can contribute. The result: At every step on the road from high school student to classroom teacher, people of color fall away."

Schools arent what they used to be. Neither are families. Before...if little Johnny was screwing up at school you call Johnny's parents and they deal with little Johnny. Now...if little Johnny is screwing up in class the parents rail on the teacher for failing the student. Bad grades used to be Johnny's faulty. Today its the teachers fault. Kids used to be taught personal discipline in the homes...today, parents have abandoned their roles to the schools. I work with a lot of teachers...and pretty much their experience is the same at varying degrees...and many of them are just wishing they could be educators, not case workers at juvenile holding facilities.

The exception to this is charter schools. Charter schools don't deal with the same problems for the most part. Which isn't to say we should get rid of public schools...but rather public schools should change their models. Get rid of the no child left behind mindset. Little Johnny doesn't want to be there...kick his ass out of class and the school. Kid doesn't turn in his homework, give him or her the failing grade they deserve...don't give them til the end of the semester to play catch up. Kids are disruptive with classmates or teachers...buh bye. Kid gives the teacher any kind of attitude...they can continue their discussion with the dean or principal and if they don't adjust their attitudes...buh bye.

You cant solve the problem by throwing more money at the schools and increasing the actions and behaviors that drive potential teaching candidates away. You cant attract a more diverse body of educators if they anticipate their experience as teachers will be the same as their experience as students.

That is a no-brainer.

Here in Los Angeles, for example, the police department is no longer majority Caucasian.

In the coming decades, ALL professions (including teaching) will perforce be dominated by Latinx and then African Americans. (Caucasians will be the third largest group followed by Asians.)

Problem solved!
The article stated that racially diverse teachers are already leaving or not selecting the field. Its not because they dont have the opportunities to teach...its because they dont want to go back into an education system as teachers that mirrors the ones they grew up in.

Re: America’s Schools are More Diverse Than Ever, But the Teachers are Still Mostly White

That is a no-brainer.

Problem solved!

We've already lowered testing standards to accommodate minority students. Now California is considering doing the same for teachers:

Nearly half of California’s potential teachers struggle to pass a gauntlet of standardized tests required for them to earn a credential, making it more difficult for the state to put a dent in a persistent teacher shortage. But that could change soon, as officials at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing look to reform the entire landscape of tests that teachers have to take to enter the profession.

While the issue of student testing has always received considerable attention, the tests prospective teachers in California must take have received far less.

Required tests roadblock for many aspiring California teachers | EdSource

Putting diversity as a requirement above all else is a race to the bottom scenario. The students aren't fairing well, we can't find qualified teachers, but hey, California is 37% white and that number will continue to shrink, which is all that matters.

You think an A.A. degree should suffice?

Because colleges require you to take a crap ton of course which will never be of use to you, just so they can get more money. I took a philosophy of art class which actually satisfied two of my graduation requirements, but in no way had anything to do what my job has been for well over a decade (teacher).

Teachers need training. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant. But they need teacher training, not Philosophy of Art to become a math teacher.
You hit the nail on the head here.

Quality of education doesn't start with schools or teachers. It starts with parents/guardians. It is highly unlikely any teacher, no matter how good he/she is, can reach an unmotivated student with parents who either don't care or actively undermine the school/teacher.

The problem with public education isn't the schools/teachers (though there some bad ones out there, there are also many good ones...just like in any profession), it is with a society that constantly undervalues the importance of education.
It does if you're trying to stir up racial animosity, which describes nearly all of this OP's threads.

I'm simply relaying the WaPo article, and offering my opinion + any pertinent information I have at my disposal. If people like Lauren Meckler and Kate Rabinowitz weren't constantly finding things to demonize as 'too white', I wouldn't start OP's about them. And isn't it curious that Meckler & Rabinowitz' lengthy article never once mentioned Asian students. That's probably due to the fact that Asian students don't make excuses for their grades, and don't demand that they be taught by teachers who look like them. Asian students outperform every other racial or ethnic category as well, including whites, Latinos and blacks. They're the minority that liberals wish to forget, because Asians disprove all the bs theories about minorities not being capable of academic success in a Caucasian dominated country.

I'm simply relaying the WaPo article, and offering my opinion + any pertinent information I have at my disposal. If people like Lauren Meckler and Kate Rabinowitz weren't constantly finding things to demonize as 'too white', I wouldn't start OP's about them. And isn't it curious that Meckler & Rabinowitz' lengthy article never once mentioned Asian students. That's probably due to the fact that Asian students don't make excuses for their grades, and don't demand that they be taught by teachers who look like them. Asian students outperform every other racial or ethnic category as well, including whites, Latinos and blacks. They're the minority that liberals wish to forget, because Asians disprove all the bs theories about minorities not being capable of academic success in a Caucasian dominated country.

The only person that seems to care is you.

:lol:

Okay.

There are a lot of articles on WaPo...how come you picked this race related one?

I'm just a poster on a political forum, not a journalist at the Washington Post demanding less white teachers. Why would you question my motives, and not the motives of Lauren Meckler and Kate Rabinowitz?

Re: America’s Schools are More Diverse Than Ever, But the Teachers are Still Mostly White

We've already lowered testing standards to accommodate minority students. Now California is considering doing the same for teachers:

To be fair, the authorities have no choice.

As you pointed out, a certain ethnicity now stands at 37% of the population.

If the schools are to be staffed, there must be teachers.

If prospective teachers cannot pass the math test, then the test must be changed or maybe even eliminated.

I think that other professions will have to do the same (the bar exam, for example).

Personally, I feel that the outlook for the United States in the next 100 years is grim, but many people feel very upbeat, and they may be right. Our great-grandchildren will know who was right.

Go back to worrying about Star Wars. Grown up conversation isn't for you.

Ill let you get back to sucking up to oswald mosley, he got his ass kicked too.

I'm just a poster on a political forum, not a journalist at the Washington Post demanding less white teachers. Why would you question my motives, and not the motives of Lauren Meckler and Kate Rabinowitz?

I dont think many question your motives as it has been obvious for a long time. We already know your motives.

Back
Top Bottom