• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amber Alert website, down... Michelle O's "Let's Move" site, up

The link before was a 404 error when I clicked it, not that notification.

So who the hell knows. But it's running now. Now my guess is miscommunication regarding whether or not it was supposed to be down in the first place.

Of course it's back up now... That's thanks to the conservative media publicizing this and showing how the administration was playing politics at the expense of the American people... Something that the main stream media works diligently to avoid doing at all costs.

What took you so long Pete? I expected you to make excuses for Obama well before page 5.

No "excuses" are needed, the Amber Alert web page is not a requirement for the system to run.
Here is some real information that may chap your rearend.

Fox News and right-wing blogs falsely claimed that the federal government turned off Amber Alert, the child abduction broadcast service, because of the government shutdown. In fact, there have been several Amber Alerts since the shutdown began October 1 -- only a Justice Department website listing them has been shut down, along with the websites of many other federal agencies due to a lack of funding.

Before Republicans caused a government shutdown beginning October 1 by refusing to fund the government unless Democrats accepted unrealistic demands, media reports explained that numerous federal government websites would go offline or would not be constantly updated as a result.

A week later, right-wing media are highlighting the unavailability of the Justice Department's AmberAlert.gov website to falsely claim that the government "shut off" the Amber Alert program. On October 7, Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy said "if somebody goes missing, and an Amber Alert should be issued, it won't be" due to the website not being available. Fox Nation's headline read: "Amber Alerts Cancelled: WH First Targets Veterans, Now Targeting Children, in Shutdown." A Breitbart.com blog post claimed in a headline, "Amber Alerts Shut Off." And the Washington Examiner claimed that "somebody, somewhere in the Obama White House or the Obama Justice Department decided to shut down the Amber Alerts."

Contrary to the right-wing media's claims, Amber Alerts have continued to be issued since the shutdown began. On October 5, an Amber Alert in Miami, Florida for a missing two-year-old was made and then canceled. An Amber Alert was issued in Galveston County in Texas on October 5 for four children, but was later canceled when the children were found safe in Tennessee.

The government shutdown and the suspension of Justice Department websites did not stop Amber Alerts. As California Highway Patrol officials explained to a NBC affiliate reporting on the shutdown of the Amber Alert webpage, local law enforcement agencies will still alert local media outlets about an Amber Alert.

UPDATE: The Justice Department's Amber Alert website AmberAlert.gov has been restored. A link on the website to view active Amber Alerts shows that this website does not post any active Amber Alerts. A Justice Department spokesman explained on Twitter that "[a]t no point has AmberAlert system been interrupted during shutdown":

twitter-doj-20131007-amberalert.jpg

Amber Alerts Continue Despite Right-Wing Media Claim That Government Shutdown Turned Them Off | Blog | Media Matters for America

That ANYONE can agree with them is beyond me. I don't get it. It's thoroughly irrational - but when a people are as thoroughly indoctrinated as we've been the past 90 -100 years, and when rational people who haven't swallowed the indoctrination have basically ceded the discussion to them with little in the way of effective rational rebuttal, this is what you get. Unfortunately, too many fall into their trap, enticed by "free this" and "free that," duped into believing they're victims of anyone with a dollar more than they - this is what you get. :(
Perfect word for this situation, you've been duped by the right wing media. :lamo

Amber Alerts Continue Despite Right-Wing Media Claim That Government Shutdown Turned Them Off | Blog | Media Matters for America

Of course it's back up now... That's thanks to the conservative media publicizing this and showing how the administration was playing politics at the expense of the American people... Something that the main stream media works diligently to avoid doing at all costs.

More BS.

The OPs criticism was that the Amber Alert WEBPAGE (essential?) was shutdown, while Michelle Obamas behavioral modification site was not. I think thats been sufficiently proven to be factual.

The link before was a 404 error when I clicked it, not that notification.

So who the hell knows. But it's running now. Now my guess is miscommunication regarding whether or not it was supposed to be down in the first place.

When i went to the original link, it was the notification claiming the sight was down due to the current ****ing issues.

So who the hell knows.

Anyone that clicked the link and who was honest. But you lied just yesterday about your use of MSNBC, so I wouldn't expect you to be honest here, either

You have no evidence that this is the case. So your opinion is noted, and I disagree. :2wave:

When i went to the original link, it was the notification claiming the sight was down due to the current ****ing issues.

Anyone that clicked the link and who was honest. But you lied just yesterday about your use of MSNBC, so I wouldn't expect you to be honest here, either

I don't even have cable TV.

No "excuses" are needed, the Amber Alert web page is not a requirement for the system to run.
Here is some real information that may chap your rearend.

Fox News and right-wing blogs falsely claimed that the federal government turned off Amber Alert, the child abduction broadcast service, because of the government shutdown. In fact, there have been several Amber Alerts since the shutdown began October 1 -- only a Justice Department website listing them has been shut down, along with the websites of many other federal agencies due to a lack of funding.

Before Republicans caused a government shutdown beginning October 1 by refusing to fund the government unless Democrats accepted unrealistic demands, media reports explained that numerous federal government websites would go offline or would not be constantly updated as a result.

A week later, right-wing media are highlighting the unavailability of the Justice Department's AmberAlert.gov website to falsely claim that the government "shut off" the Amber Alert program. On October 7, Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy said "if somebody goes missing, and an Amber Alert should be issued, it won't be" due to the website not being available. Fox Nation's headline read: "Amber Alerts Cancelled: WH First Targets Veterans, Now Targeting Children, in Shutdown." A Breitbart.com blog post claimed in a headline, "Amber Alerts Shut Off." And the Washington Examiner claimed that "somebody, somewhere in the Obama White House or the Obama Justice Department decided to shut down the Amber Alerts."

Contrary to the right-wing media's claims, Amber Alerts have continued to be issued since the shutdown began. On October 5, an Amber Alert in Miami, Florida for a missing two-year-old was made and then canceled. An Amber Alert was issued in Galveston County in Texas on October 5 for four children, but was later canceled when the children were found safe in Tennessee.

The government shutdown and the suspension of Justice Department websites did not stop Amber Alerts. As California Highway Patrol officials explained to a NBC affiliate reporting on the shutdown of the Amber Alert webpage, local law enforcement agencies will still alert local media outlets about an Amber Alert.

UPDATE: The Justice Department's Amber Alert website AmberAlert.gov has been restored. A link on the website to view active Amber Alerts shows that this website does not post any active Amber Alerts. A Justice Department spokesman explained on Twitter that "[a]t no point has AmberAlert system been interrupted during shutdown":

No, the website was clearly down and the outing was directly attributed to current funding issues.

No, the website was clearly down and the outing was directly attributed to current funding issues.

You're confusing the actual amber alert system with a website providing information about it. He is talking about the actual issuance of those alerts.

Amber alerts would still have gone out as normal.

You're confusing the actual amber alert system with a website providing information about it.

Amber alerts would still have gone out as normal.

Please read the post you are replying to: "No, ***the website*** was clearly down and the outing was directly attributed to current funding issues."

I'm sorry, but you're being blatantly disingenuous and trying to confuse the issue

You have no evidence that this is the case. So your opinion is noted, and I disagree. :2wave:

So the website was shut down, attributed directly to the current budget issues, but happened to go back online only after a stink was raised in the media, and it was all a coincidence?

That doesn't pass the smell test

MSNBC

http://www.debatepolitics.com/news-weird/101463-ny-court-says-strip-clubs-lap-dances-taxable.html

^story is directly sourced from MSNBC ....

But thanks for driving home the point

Yes, someone linked to me a story I thought was funny. So I shared it with DP in News of the Weird.

You really want to go with me posting a humorous story? That's your proof of my blind liberalism and acceptance of left-wing media? :lamo

Ok chief. Talk about desperate. I'll keep you in mind next time I post something from The Onion.

Yes, someone linked to me a story I thought was funny. So I shared it with DP in News of the Weird.

You really want to go with me posting a humorous story? That's your proof of my blind liberalism and acceptance of left-wing media? :lamo

1) actually there was a number of threads you started based on MSNBC articles that you sourced

2) Yesterday you alluded to *never* using such sources. Clearly that was a lie

3) Today, in this very thread, you dishonestly tried to assert that it was only a cable news channel. Again, clearly a lie. And being that we have evidence that you have used their website, a lie you willingly made.

What this is proof of is that you are willing to make known dishonest statements to promote your political interests

1) actually there was a number of threads you started based on MSNBC articles that you sourced

2) Yesterday you alluded to *never* using such sources. Clearly that was a lie

3) Today, in this very thread, you dishonestly tried to assert that it was only a cable news channel. Again, clearly a lie. And being that we have evidence that you have used their website, a lie you willingly made.

What this is proof of is that you are willing to make known dishonest statements to promote your political interests

A number of threads? Ok. Weird how you chose one that wasn't really a discussion of important political issues.
I didn't say they were only cable news. Jesus you are delusional.

A number of threads? Ok. Weird how you chose one that wasn't really a discussion of important political issues.
I didn't say they were only cable news. Jesus you are delusional.

1) it was the first one I recalled from yesterday, but here is another.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break.../100652-john-edwards-indicted-grand-jury.html

2) Even if it was the only time you sourced them, it would hardly explain you trying to portray them as solely a cable channel above.

I didn't say they were only cable news.

I wrote "Anyone that clicked the link and who was honest. But you lied just yesterday about your use of MSNBC, so I wouldn't expect you to be honest here, either"

your response was "I don't even have cable TV."
http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...le-os-lets-move-site-up-6.html#post1062395895

Jesus you are delusional.

or you might be dishonest ...

Back
Top Bottom