• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon Says Parler Systematically Unwilling To Remove Violent Content

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

This, IMHO, highlights the key difference between Parler and Twitter. As Amazon points out, the violent content was part of Parler's business model while Twitter is more aimed at normal communications.

This, IMHO, highlights the key difference between Parler and Twitter. As Amazon points out, the violent content was part of Parler's business model while Twitter is more aimed at normal communications.
And yet, Twitter refuses to remove violent content, as well.

shrug...

Since "violent content" is obviously not the problem, as shown by the hypocrisy, there has to be another reason. What do you think that reason might be?

shrug...

Since "violent content" is obviously not the problem, as shown by the hypocrisy, there has to be another reason. What do you think that reason might be?
Looks like they are working hard on it, but they could be doing better and I suspect they will now there is political focus on it.

shrug...

If you directly call for the death of a politician on Twitter, you'll have the post removed and you'll likely be banned. Parler, not so much.

You're making false equivalences because you're dishonest and have an agenda.

shrug...

Twitter hosts their own content therefore Amazon can't enforce any acceptable use policy on Twitter...

What do you think that reason might be?

Trump (and plenty of his enablers) incited a far right mob of lunatics to try to overthrow Congress, so they listened and talked about it on Parler, not enough for you?

Section 230 of the Communications and Decency Act needs to be significantly changed.

Parler went well beyond Twitter as to the level of violence content allowed. Post #2 is another of many example of conservative failure to understand the concept of equivalency. As an analogy, they think somebody slapping you in the face is as much an infraction as shooting you dead, and both should be treated the same as to what the "sentence" should be, etc. Then, based on that false assumption, declare hypocrisy and imply underlying conspiracy against conservative sites that "shoot people dead".

They aren't working very hard if this tweet has been there for eight months.

I just reported it, thank you.

However, one tweet here or there, does not really do anything to prove your point, no algorithm is going to be perfect. But the key difference as I already mentioned is that twitter at least tries whereas with parler, the violence is baked into the business model.

As we have seen in recent days, posts on line which promulgate or abet the promulgation of potentially violent activities can result in real consequences.

Cleansing on-line content of such material is an application of a Band-Aid(r), but certainly not a cure. We have in our American society a surprising number of people who are comfortable with authoritarian rule, with violent protest and perhaps even with a single party state. How we will deal with this, going forward, is important for the viability of our American form of government as well as for our own desire to safely go our way in peace.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.

I just reported it, thank you.

However, one tweet here or there, does not really do anything to prove your point, no algorithm is going to be perfect. But the key difference as I already mentioned is that twitter at least tries whereas with parler, the violence is baked into the business model.
Oh...so you think that random tweet I found is just "one tweet here or there"? I doubt that. I suspect there are THOUSANDS of similar tweets that twitter outright ignores and does nothing about.

And violence is NOT "baked into" the Parler business model. Freedom of speech for everyone is.

That will certainly piss off far right extremists, insurrectionists and domestic terrorists.

Oh...so you think that random tweet I found is just "one tweet here or there"? I doubt that. I suspect there are THOUSANDS of similar tweets that twitter outright ignores and does nothing about.

And violence is NOT "baked into" the Parler business model. Freedom of speech for everyone is.
Then Twitter needs to continue to work on their algorithm. At least they are willing to whereas Parler was not as it was baked into their business model.

Then Twitter needs to continue to work on their algorithm. At least they are willing to whereas Parler was not as it was baked into their business model.
Twitter has let left wing incitement continue for years. Believe me, no "work on their algorithm" will change that.

And just because you repeat a lie (baked into their business model) over and over, that doesn't make your lie true.

Twitter has let left wing incitement continue for years. Believe me, no "work on their algorithm" will change that.

And just because you repeat a lie (baked into their business model) over and over, that doesn't make your lie true.
I have already addressed your whines, do you have any new ones?

I have already addressed your whines, do you have any new ones?
And I've rejected your pontifications about what Twitter "needs" to do. They've had years and they haven't done it.

And I've rejected your pontifications about what Twitter "needs" to do. They've had years and they haven't done it.
Ok, good for you. Maybe one day you will understand why this is hard for twitter to do, but I don't expect you will until you see a political advantage in doing so and then twitter will somehow be your best friend.

Does Twitter rely on Amazon for its business?

Ok, good for you. Maybe one day you will understand why this is hard for twitter to do, but I don't expect you will until you see a political advantage in doing so and then twitter will somehow be your best friend.
They don't seem to have any problem getting rid of right wing people. Why do they have a problem getting rid of left wing people? Could it be they support the left wing people?

They don't seem to have any problem getting rid of right wing people. Why do they have a problem getting rid of left wing people? Could it be they support the left wing people?
Please show statistics on the people they remove and their affiliations.

Not that I know of. So what?

So what does a bad tweet on Twitter have to do with Parler’s reliance on AWS and their responsibility to conform to the AWS AUP.

Must be "baked into their business model."

Back
Top Bottom