• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon reportedly wants to take over JCPenney and Sears stores to turn malls into giant fulfillment

LOL. So are you saying that JC Penny and Sears should get a government bailout to stop Amazon?

Sears has been mismanaged since the 1980s. Ron Johnson destroyed JC Penny with his bizarre ideas of marketing strategy.

Roger Smith would have destroyed GM if it wasnt for the many bailouts.

If I read this right Amazon would just use the spaces as warehouses. Not shopping.

IDK if the malls would be keen on this, but they may not have a choice. Malls are dying, but using these areas as warehouses won't bring customers to the malls, which is exactly what the malls want and need.

If a person didn't actually say a thing you shouldn't assume they meant a thing. That's a good way to spout off a bunch of ignorant nonsense. ;)

LOL. Out of the mouth of a self proclaimed communist. Yeah, you're worth listening to. Not.

Sears has been mismanaged since the 1980s. Ron Johnson destroyed JC Penny with his bizarre ideas of marketing strategy.

Roger Smith would have destroyed GM if it wasnt for the many bailouts.

Now you're sending mixed messages. So, you're saying that we should do government bailouts to stop Amazon?

It’s not that so much as reducing the use of employees and overhead through ruthless efficiency, to cut labor cost per item shipped. The ultimate goal would be a completely automated system with no hourly employees.

So good bye to your first job after high school.
Next we lose human truck driving - for many, the best job they will ever have.

Welcome to the 21st century. I guess you were born too late. Perhaps now you will realize the importance of "green" jobs and alternative energy? We can create millions of new jobs with new technology too.

Now you're sending mixed messages. So, you're saying that we should do government bailouts to stop Amazon?

No, we should not do bailouts. Brick and mortar retail is dying because the people who spend the most have very little money so they are chasing deals, which tend to be online. I'm an introvert who doesn't like crowds and I seldom find what I like in the malls, so I haven't been a fan of going to the mall since the latter half of the Clinton administration.

No, we should not do bailouts. Brick and mortar retail is dying because the people who spend the most have very little money so they are chasing deals, which tend to be online. I'm an introvert who doesn't like crowds and I seldom find what I like in the malls, so I haven't been a fan of going to the mall since the latter half of the Clinton administration.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, now I see. So you are in favor of Amazon taking over the failing Penny's and Sears, employing more people than empty buildings.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, now I see. So you are in favor of Amazon taking over the failing Penny's and Sears, employing more people than empty buildings.

I said to split up Amazon and unionize the employees.

Post #25.

LOL. Out of the mouth of a self proclaimed communist. Yeah, you're worth listening to. Not.

Do you often point at labels to avoid actually having a conversation?

I said to split up Amazon and unionize the employees.

Post #25.

You were expecting him to actually read and comprehend your posts?

You were expecting him to actually read and comprehend your posts?

It would be a nice thought, but Im just that sort of bohemian idealist.

If I read this right Amazon would just use the spaces as warehouses. Not shopping.

IDK if the malls would be keen on this, but they may not have a choice. Malls are dying, but using these areas as warehouses won't bring customers to the malls, which is exactly what the malls want and need.

At the end of the day, all that matters to mall owners/landlords is that the space is rented out. Whether it is Forever 21 or Amazon, they need that square footage taken up.

The concept of malls today is like the concept of roller skating rinks in the 1990s.

In 10-20 years, the idea of the mall will seem so dated, especially once most of us are getting same-day delivery on online purchases.

At the end of the day, all that matters to mall owners/landlords is that the space is rented out. Whether it is Forever 21 or Amazon, they need that square footage taken up.

That's partly true. But they still need foot traffic in and out of the malls for the other stores to survive. Without foot traffic brought in by the Macy's and Penny's, etc. the little stores probably can't survive.

Maybe they can take down all the walls, and rent the whole malls to Amazon. With Bezos money it's pocket change.. lol

That's partly true. But they still need foot traffic in and out of the malls for the other stores to survive. Without foot traffic brought in by the Macy's and Penny's, etc. the little stores probably can't survive.

Maybe they can take down all the walls, and rent the whole malls to Amazon. With Bezos money it's pocket change.. lol

Agreed. And there is an added problem with renting out your mall space to Bezos: It is practically guaranteed that Amazon will be your last customer. The moment they find another mall that rents space at a nickel less per square foot, they are out the next day and will leave you high and dry after they hollowed out your mall to be used as a giant warehouse and distribution center. Good luck trying to rent it out after that.

Agreed. And there is an added problem with renting out your mall space to Bezos: It is practically guaranteed that Amazon will be your last customer. The moment they find another mall that rents space at a nickel less per square foot, they are out the next day and will leave you high and dry after they hollowed out your mall to be used as a giant warehouse and distribution center. Good luck trying to rent it out after that.

In New Jersey, malls are being reconfigured for senior living.

Back
Top Bottom