• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon is burning at a rapid rate

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Brazil's northern and western regions have experienced an 83 percent increase in the number of fires in the first eight months of 2019 compared with the same time period last year, according to Brazil's space research centre INPE. Its satellite system detected 72,843 fires in the region this year. The states of Amazonas, Rondonia, Acre, Para and Mato Grosso do Sul were some of the most affected, and most of the burning happens inside the Amazon rainforest. In just a week, 9,507 new fires were detected in the world's biggest rainforest, commonly referred to as the "planet's lung".

Brazil's Amazon is burning: 'Some families lost everything' | Brazil | Al Jazeera

These NGOs starting the fire to try and embarrass the Bolsonaro administration need to stop. At this rate, Amazon will be no more. Many families are going to lose everything!

Most of the footage I have seen look like fast moving brush fire in grassy areas so maybe this won't end up being as bad as it first appears.

Whoa, for a moment there I thought you were talking about Amazon the company- that would have meant half my income from book sales! :2razz:

What lying nonsense. LOL

Right wing scum president in Brazil is deforesting the Amazon for greedy businesses. Yeah, NGOs set the first, oh my the idiotic things hacks will post

Strip farming, which I assume is driving this need for new land, needs to be outlawed and the US and any other willing nations should offer aid (or attach it as a requirement to existing aid) to make it happen.

As far as I know, with proper farm land management there's no need to constantly clear new land.

Something tells me Bolsonaro is weaponizing deforestation. If another one-fifth of the Amazon is cut down it will release around 44 gigatons of asphyxiating carbon monoxide in a sort of carbon bomb with a blast radius literally inter-****ing-continental in scale. Where are all of the ****ing interventionist Neocon warhawks when you need them? Oh, that's right, misguidedly obsessing over Iran or China, or even So-Incompetent-It-Can't-Into-Economy-Venezuela.

(By comparison, the most powerful explosion ever detonated was Russia's 'Tsar bomba' at 50 megatons. 1 gigaton is equal to One-****ing-Thousand megatons. Meaning Brazil has a bomb equal to or greater than every single ****ing other nuclear ARSENAL ON EARTH (Not combined, but's that equal to approximately a thousand Tsar Bombas. Only country that probably has a nuclear arsenal that's stronger than Brazil's makeshift 'dirty WMD' is the United States of America itself, and even that's iffy))

Report Shows Corporations and Bolsonaro Teaming Up to Destroy the Amazon

The fire @NotreDame received more international coverage than this.

SAD

Back
Top Bottom