• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon employees hospitalized after bear repellent canister explodes in New Jersey warehouse

Apparently not Americans... I know a bunch of Kiwis and Ukrainians that are though...

Really. You've met people who have been exposed to concentrated bear repellent and been fine.

Really. You've met people who have been exposed to concentrated bear repellent and been fine.

The argument was about who is tough and who are Americans...

They are not tough...

Yep. I spray my face with pepper spray every morning and once a week I sit in a room full of tear gas. These actions continue to put hair on my chest and prepare me in the event any of those items are used against my person. I'll have to add bear repellant to the list.

Yep. I spray my face with pepper spray every morning and once a week I sit in a room full of tear gas. These actions continue to put hair on my chest and prepare me in the event any of those items are used against my person. I'll have to add bear repellant to the list.

You sound like a bad ass...

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...es-hospitalized-after-bear-repellent-canister

At least 17 workers at an Amazon warehouse in New Jersey have been hospitalized after a bear repellent canister fell off a shelf and sprayed them.

Nearly 80 workers in total are being treated by emergency responders at the warehouse in Robbinsville, N.J., for difficulty breathing and burning in the eyes due to the repellant, according to the North Jersey Record.
=======================================
Bear repellent is nasty stuff. It is an aerosol container filled with 2% oleoresin of capsicum—a waxlike extract of hot pepper in a proprietary carrier solvent & a Freon-like propellant.
See https://www.outsideonline.com/2115456/whats-bear-spray

I was sitting in a camper with a friend once on a lunch break from building a house. My friend had some bear repellent and it too got dropped. It spritzed some of that stuff into the air (literally, it was just a spritz worth) and we could not get out of that camper fast enough. Bear repellent is nothing to joke about that's for sure.

I was sitting in a camper with a friend once on a lunch break from building a house. My friend had some bear repellent and it too got dropped. It spritzed some of that stuff into the air (literally, it was just a spritz worth) and we could not get out of that camper fast enough. Bear repellent is nothing to joke about that's for sure.

Some reports say that a robot crushed the can.

Some reports say that a robot crushed the can.

Which would release the entire contents, far more than typical exposure. That level of exposure could potentially cause permanent damage.

You sound like a bad ass...

I suppose my actions could be perceived that way, but the desire to be prepared is the motivation. Last year I fought stray dogs so I can become more adept at fending off dog attacks; something necessary in an urban environment. I've also learned defensive magic as well because you never know who may feel compelled to place some bad juju on me.

The Feds regulate this active ingredient because it is so toxic. I believe the same stuff is used in pepper spray.

"Toxic"?

It's active ingredient is capsaicin, which is extracted and turned into a resin that is suspended in propylene glycol. It's the same basic thing as what you might find in a chili pepper, except it's significantly more concentrated (up to something like 2-4x as concentrated as the amount in a Carolina Reaper (current world record holder) pepper, and I can tell you from personal experience that those peppers are brutally hot).

It's not toxic, aka, poisonous. It's just that it causes a pretty nasty response in a person, particularly if in the eyes or inhaled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

That said, if someone with a heart condition tries eating a carolina reaper pepper - or inhaling bear repellant - they could very well end up going into cardiac arrest, but it's not because they have been poisoned. The substance basically tricks your nervous system into sending out pain signals because it binds to the TRPV-1 receptors, which are also stimulated by heat, physical injury, etc.

So while it's not actually poisoning you or destroying your tissue, secondary effects may result from the psychological reaction to the sensation of great pain.

But yes, there are regulations.

Aren’t there restrictions on shipping some of these types of products?

Yes, as this particular product is considered a Class 2.2 Dangerous Good.

OM

I suppose my actions could be perceived that way, but the desire to be prepared is the motivation. Last year I fought stray dogs so I can become more adept at fending off dog attacks; something necessary in an urban environment. I've also learned defensive magic as well because you never know who may feel compelled to place some bad juju on me.

The Jamaicans are always working that ju-ju...

Guess so...

Amazon warehouse employees tend to take a dim view of Amazon you might have heard.

Any chance to "stick it to the man" is likely to be taken.

Reminds me of 1970's autoworkers actually.

We shall see where this goes.

Amazon warehouse employees tend to take a dim view of Amazon you might have heard.

I am not up to date on this animosity...

Prove that my invisible dragon pet doesn't exist. You can't show that, can you?

I can't prove a negative.
A lame example because you can not establish it does exist.

Nobody has ever been "indoctrinated" into homosexuality. The proof is that you are unable to present one single case.
Those are two foolish statements, and do not speak kindly of you. You really should have thought before you spoke.

What I spoke to previously is factual. Some individuals are forced/coerced/indoctrinated into such homosexual activity.

You should have learned things in life that told you that humans can be indoctrinated into any train of thought and behavior. Whether that indoctrination is done by persuasion/force/coercion/drugs, etc..., it happens.
Manson family, Jones Town, Patty Hearst, Heaven's Gate, etc ...

But since you choose not to acknowledge reality.

Besides what I previously spoke of ...

That's a twofer of incredibly lame nonsense. Congrats!

Yes, your post is incredibly lame nonsense, twice over.

I don't feel like intentionally exposing oneself to bear repellent is something Amazon workers are likely to do just to "stick it to the man."

I don't feel like intentionally exposing oneself to bear repellent is something Amazon workers are likely to do just to "stick it to the man."

Deciding the be a victim rather than sucking it up and driving on and in the process getting paid for hours or days of not working however they might. This is not Tesla where factory workers routinely suck it up and drive on because they believe in the mission, and their leader.

EDIT: See, I can say nice things about Musk....when he earns it.

Back
Top Bottom