• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amanda Knox's rights violated in Italy murder probe, ECHR says

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46985679

taly has been ordered to pay €18,400 (£16,000) to US citizen Amanda Knox, who spent years in prison for a murder of which she was later acquitted.

Ms Knox's long-running legal battle was closely followed by global media during years of retrials and appeals.
==================================================
This poor young woman was the victim of a deranged prosecutor. I'm happy that she will now see some restitution.

Poor murderess...

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

I am thinking she should cross Italy off of her future travel plans.

I am thinking she should cross Italy off of her future travel plans.

If I ever were to teach at a law school again, I would use this case as an example of how a government can totally Screw up substantive and procedural due process, among other things.

Except, of course, for the fact that she didn't murder anyone.

many Euros who hate the USA use Amanda Knox as a surrogate for America.

She did and got away with it.

Perhaps she did, PeterEU. Perhaps she did not. I do not have any tribal skin in this fight. But I would not trust the verdict of the botched Italian justice system to come to anything approaching an appropriate legal standard by which to determine that guilt.

Eh, maybe, but if you saw the documentary on the case, that prosecutor was a full-on nutjob, thinking it was a satanic cult, etc...

yeah I did-I saw at least a coupled shows about it-wasn't there some dude that had a criminal background who had both opportunity and motive to kill the girl?

Perhaps she did, PeterEU. Perhaps she did not. I do not have any tribal skin in this fight. But I would not trust the verdict of the botched Italian justice system to come to anything approaching an appropriate legal standard by which to determine that guilt.

You see this is my problem.. the insults by Americans against the Italian legal system. This is Italy, not the US so you cant transplant the very flawed US legal system on the Italian system. Did the police maybe make mistakes? Sure, not many murders in Italy relative to the very experienced American police, but what I make my verdict on is the publicly available information on how she acted after the murder. It screams guilty.

Poor murderess...
One of the bright points in this case is, the Karmic backlash from what Italy did to Amanda and Raffaele resulted in Guede getting his LIFE sentence reduced, first to 30 years, and then to 16.

We're getting close to the point where Guede is going to be back out on the streets at night in an Italian college town. I'm expecting good things to happen.

"Good" in my opinion at least. The people of Italy might not like it so much when Karma comes calling.

Maybe, maybe not. Guarantee she was in the room when it went down though.
That is incorrect. The evidence is very clear that Amanda was nowhere near the place when Guede raped and killed Kercher.

Actually, she and Raffaele definitely had nothing to do with it. And the Italian officials knew that from the start.

You see this is my problem.. the insults by Americans against the Italian legal system. This is Italy, not the US so you cant transplant the very flawed US legal system on the Italian system. Did the police maybe make mistakes? Sure, not many murders in Italy relative to the very experienced American police, but what I make my verdict on is the publicly available information on how she acted after the murder. It screams guilty.

Good thing it was the ECHR that held them accountable and not the U.S. legal system. Question though...does the Italian legal system have a loophole in there somewhere that allows them to convict an innocent person because they are American?

You see this is my problem.. the insults by Americans against the Italian legal system.
It is perfectly appropriate to condemn backwards countries when they fail to adhere to civilized standards. And Italy's third world excuse for a justice system does not in any way meet civilized standards.

This is Italy, not the US so you cant transplant the very flawed US legal system on the Italian system.
True, but not in the way that you meant it. The Italian justice system will need to figure out simple concepts like evidence and proof before they can reasonably be compared to the justice systems in civilized countries.

Sure, not many murders in Italy relative to the very experienced American police, but what I make my verdict on is the publicly available information on how she acted after the murder. It screams guilty.
Setting aside the fact that, no it doesn't scream guilty at all, civilized countries base their verdicts on actual evidence.

Good thing it was the ECHR that held them accountable and not the U.S. legal system. Question though...does the Italian legal system have a loophole in there somewhere that allows them to convict an innocent person because they are American?
The Italian legal system simply ignores the law completely. They also ignore facts and evidence. That makes it easy for them to convict whoever they want.

That is incorrect. She spent the night with her boyfriend Raffaele.

Had she been in the house, Guede would have raped and murdered her as well.

If you believe Knox that would be true but there is no evidence that she wasn’t in the house during that evening.

Back
Top Bottom