• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I wrong about the School kids thing?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First let me say i am Catholic and a Trustee of my church so I have no problem with Catholics. Okay, it seems that the more I hear about this confrontation between the Native Americans and the Catholic School kids it seems that the whole thing started with a confrontation between the kids and a group of black Jewish demonstrators. The two groups were apparently yelling at each other when the small group, sounds like three, Native Americans came along and tried to come between the two groups. Then the Catholic kids encircled the three Native Americans and got in their face, with the one Catholic kid seeming to get right in the face of the leader of the Native Americans. The Catholic kid seemed to enjoy the confrontation and looked as if he was smirking at him. I think that the many racist images of those who wear these MAGA hats may influence how each of us feels about the pictures and videos we have seen of this confrontation. Am I wrong in how I portray this incident, if so how?

First let me say i am Catholic and a Trustee of my church so I have no problem with Catholics. Okay, it seems that the more I hear about this confrontation between the Native Americans and the Catholic School kids it seems that the whole thing started with a confrontation between the kids and a group of black Jewish demonstrators. The two groups were apparently yelling at each other when the small group, sounds like three, Native Americans came along and tried to come between the two groups. Then the Catholic kids encircled the three Native Americans and got in their face, with the one Catholic kid seeming to get right in the face of the leader of the Native Americans. The Catholic kid seemed to enjoy the confrontation and looked as if he was smirking at him. I think that the many racist images of those who wear these MAGA hats may influence how each of us feels about the pictures and videos we have seen of this confrontation. Am I wrong in how I portray this incident, if so how?

Yes. You are wrong.

Watch the video.

There are symbols that instantly relay meaning - good and bad - accurate and perhaps less so - when people see them. The old Confederate stars & bars is one such symbol. The German Nazi swastika for another. And now its MAGA hats. When somebody who does not subscribe to the movement behind the symbol sees them, a set of beliefs and political positions instantly becomes clear in the mind of the observer.

I was struck by the NBC interview with the young man - Nick Sandmann - this morning and I really had to look twice to make sure they had the right kid. In the infamous video he looks like a real smug smartass punk enjoying getting in that older mans face. Then you see him being interviewed by Savannah Guthrie and he looks like a fairly normal kid.

The difference: the MAGA hat. The symbol of Trump and his administration and everything that goes with it. And for many, he is a symbol of bigotry and sexism and authoritarianism and outright political ignorance bordering on criminal negligence which is harming our nation and its people.

Like it or not. Fair or not. Accurate or not. For many, the MAGA hat has become a symbol of hate just like the confederate flag and the German swastika. Those who wear it, especially in political situations, risk others making judgments about them.

That is simply reality right now.

Yes, you are wrong. The Native Americans were on the move and "got in the face of" the kids, yet you make it sound like the kids were on the move and "got in the face of" the Native Americans.

{Laffriot}
Were you asleep the past 3 days? Only a few bitter clinger stick to this version.

If there was a company that sold a product to wash egg off people's places, they would have made a FORTUNE.

And not just because of close-minded liberals either.

#National Review

How can you possibly be a Catholic? Haven't you read all the messages on this forum by Democrats about how evil Catholics are? Didn't you watch the video of the shouting that Catholics are rapists and Catholic children are all the product of incest?

I gather your complaint is that the kids were smiling and really should have been furiously shouting and that teen should have smashed that drum - outraged that the kids did nothing and the aggressor 100% was the career agitator of a history of charging into students - and then claiming he was a victim.

This event highlights the flaws of seeing only part of a video (edited or not). It is also highlights the flaws of vids being posted on social media without fact checking. It is funny how some want instant reporting now days. One reason I don't do Facebook, twitter, etc.

Does the OPer agree with many Democrats on this topic that the teenager should have been violently beaten and kicked for smiling at the man who charged into him? If fact 2 dozen Democrats posted or "liked" calls for that teenage Catholic high school kid to be violently beat and kicked.

Recognize what the Democratic Party is now - fascism, ala 1930s Germany - against anyone considered political opposition. Exactly everyone knows the attack against the Catholic kids by the press is for wearing MAGA caps. There are hundreds of videos of violent protests by leftists - including attacking elders - never with any of the outrage against a teenager who did nothing but smile against a terrifying situation of adult make aggressors getting within inches of his face.

How can you possibly be a Catholic? Haven't you read all the messages on this forum by Democrats about how evil Catholics are? Didn't you watch the video of the shouting that Catholics are rapists and Catholic children are all the product of incest?

I gather your complaint is that the kids were smiling and really should have been furiously shouting and that teen should have smashed that drum - outraged that the kids did nothing and the aggressor 100% was the career agitator of a history of charging into students - and then claiming he was a victim.

Sadly, many Catholic priests - hundreds and hundreds - were and are rapists of children. That has been well established. And sadly, their own superiors and the Church itself covered it up and enacted policies which enabled them to do more raping of children. Those are simply well established facts of modern American history. Even the Pope admits it for heavens sake.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...x-abuse-we-showed-no-care-for-the-little-ones

And spare me the faux indignation about being anti-Catholic. I am born and raised and spent 12 years in Catholic school.

T For many, the MAGA hat has become a symbol of hate just like the confederate flag and the German swastika. Those who wear it, especially in political situations, risk others making judgments about them.

Tw.

For many CLOSE-MINDED ARROGANT LIBERALS ,the MAGA hat has become a symbol of hate just like the confederate flag and the German swastika. Those who wear it, especially in political situations, risk others making judgments about them.

Edited for accuracy.

It's a neat little leftist trick. Cray TRUMP IS a RACIST ( based on nothing but left wing wisshful thinking) every five minutes and then claim anybody who wears a MAGA hat supports racism or 'hate ' ( vomit in mouth at that stupid overused term)

#LIBERALS #SUCK

There are symbols that instantly relay meaning - good and bad - accurate and perhaps less so - when people see them. The old Confederate stars & bars is one such symbol. The German Nazi swastika for another. And now its MAGA hats. When somebody who does not subscribe to the movement behind the symbol sees them, a set of beliefs and political positions instantly becomes clear in the mind of the observer.

I was struck by the NBC interview with the young man - Nick Sandmann - this morning and I really had to look twice to make sure they had the right kid. In the infamous video he looks like a real smug smartass punk enjoying getting in that older mans face. Then you see him being interviewed by Savannah Guthrie and he looks like a fairly normal kid.

The difference: the MAGA hat. The symbol of Trump and his administration and everything that goes with it. And for many, he is a symbol of bigotry and sexism and authoritarianism and outright political ignorance bordering on criminal negligence which is harming our nation and its people.

Like it or not. Fair or not. Accurate or not. For many, the MAGA hat has become a symbol of hate just like the confederate flag and the German swastika. Those who wear it, especially in political situations, risk others making judgments about them.

I agree with you.

MAGA hats are a symbol of Trump. Trump represents xenophobia and racism. He also represents incompetence and, fair or not, the color orange. Well, and golden toilet bowls. And Big Macs being eaten by terribly fat, unhealthy, old white bozos. And really fat dudes eating Big Macs while sitting on golden toilet bowls. And rage tweets. And whatever he’s been snorting that makes him slur so much.

But he mostly represents xenophobia and racism.

It’s not much of a mental leap to conclude that MAGA hats represent racism, too.

That’s how he chose to promote himself. If nothing else, he’s good at self promotion.

For many CLOSE-MINDED ARROGANT LIBERALS ,the MAGA hat has become a symbol of hate just like the confederate flag and the German swastika. Those who wear it, especially in political situations, risk others making judgments about them.

Edited for accuracy.

It's a neat little leftist trick. Cray TRUMP IS a RACIST ( based on nothing but left wing wisshful thinking) every five minutes and then claim anybody who wears a MAGA hat supports racism or 'hate ' ( vomit in mouth at that stupid overused term)

#LIBERALS #SUCK

WOW!!!!! That went miles and miles far over your head!!!!!! :doh:roll:

An MSM generated event. Not much happened, but molehills and mountains, don't ya' know?
/

Yeah...you are so wrong on so many levels at this point I have to wonder if you have bothered actually watching any of the video yourself to form an opinion.

How can you possibly be a Catholic? Haven't you read all the messages on this forum by Democrats about how evil Catholics are?

I can only speak of my own experience, but two of my grandpas (my wife's grandpa and my dad's dad) are vehemently anti-Catholic. They think of Catholics as polytheists who are going to hell. They are far-right conservative protestant Trump supporters.

Think about why teens with MAGA hats were shown.....and not the black israelites? Also the Twitter account that promoted the video has been suspended. This proves its just right wing nut jobs having to lie to get their point across.

Smart people will believe when you have evidence but stupid people will believe you even though you have no evidence. Its why we laugh and you just can't figure it out. Lmao. Thank you.

Isn't it GREAT to have a total non issue to whip up the fauxrage in order to distract from the fact your Traitor bumbling fool, wimp, president is gonna go down before he can even get on the 2020 ballot? Simply MAGA huh?:2rofll:

Vance will get very angry and claim that you are wrong......then he proves he's not very bright by not being to explain how you are wrong. Lmao. Liberals love people who are willing to prove they are stupid. Thanks for making me laugh Vance.....thanks. Lmao

When you continue to push a scenario that has been totally debunked, you degrade the credibility of any other thing you have to say on the topic.

Moving on...

When you continue to push a scenario that has been totally debunked, you degrade the credibility of any other thing you have to say on the topic.

Moving on...

And it went right over your head by miles also.

You are wrong. The kids acted childishly (like kids do) but not belligerently nor are they responsible. Their chaperones? That's a whole other matter.

And it went right over your head by miles also.

shrug...

I quoted and highlighted your words. If you didn't say what you meant, perhaps you'd like to clarify?

shrug...

I quoted and highlighted your words. If you didn't say what you meant, perhaps you'd like to clarify?

Certainly. There are symbols that instantly relay meaning - good and bad - accurate and perhaps less so - when people see them. The old Confederate stars & bars is one such symbol. The German Nazi swastika for another. And now its MAGA hats. When somebody who does not subscribe to the movement behind the symbol sees them, a set of beliefs and political positions instantly becomes clear in the mind of the observer.

I was struck by the NBC interview with the young man - Nick Sandmann - this morning and I really had to look twice to make sure they had the right kid. In the infamous video he looks like a real smug smartass punk enjoying getting in that older mans face. Then you see him being interviewed by Savannah Guthrie and he looks like a fairly normal kid. Regardless if he is that or not - that is the image we saw with the hateful MAGA hat perched upon his head. That is the message that came across to the nation.

I added to the section you highlighted in read to further clarify it for you.

Back
Top Bottom