• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I the only one who hates superhero "Marvel" movies?

Bread (popcorn/candy) and games (action movies) to distract folks from the real troubles (and possible solutions) which plague their real lives. Weapons of mass distraction to foster apathy and fantasy in a harsh, real world. Black and white poles with clear solutions juxtaposed to a real world of grey mists and hard choices. I don't hate these movies, but they do annoy me. Better to take a walk through what's left of nature or past homeless shelters, appreciate what we are really losing or creating around us and think about what we can do to make the real world better than buying into the externally administered anaesthetic which tries to extend childhood's excuse to not make difficult adult choices now. These movies and so much more facets of modern media and gaming are such tripe. Fiddling while more and more of humanity is on the verge of seeing the world burning. Where are Ren and Stimpy when you need them?

Morose Cheers and a half-hearted "be well".
Evilroddy. :(

I'm a little tired of them, but I don't hate them. I like the premise itself, being a fantasy reader. However, just like a good song gets old because the radio plays it over and over again, this genre of movies is kinda played out.
Have you read the Malazan and Crucible series?

Mach:

Books? Erikson and Douglass' books are not movies. Books are generally thought-provoking while superhero action movies are generally mind-numbing. There is no real comparison in my opinion between books and the majority of movies and games made today. There are happy exceptions but generally the superhero movies are tripe.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Mach:
Books? Erikson and Douglass' books are not movies. Books are generally thought-provoking while superhero action movies are generally mind-numbing. There is no real comparison in my opinion between books and the majority of movies and games made today. There are happy exceptions but generally the superhero movies are tripe.
Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Yeah books. I love a good book referral every now and then...always looking for the next good series, even if its a little off-topic :p

I love Malazan. So crazy and chaotic. It just throws you into some shit without explaining a lot of things (which turns some people off but I'm cool with it). I haven't read the Crucible series yet though. I just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

If you like Malazan, and haven't read The Black Company, I strongly suggest it.

Anyone seen this? It's just come out

I love Malazan. So crazy and chaotic. It just throws you into some shit without explaining a lot of things (which turns some people off but I'm cool with it).
Yeah, he comes out swinging on the author stage with this super-massive 10 book series, each book really long, filled with tons of great characters and interesting world building, and his anthropological background influencing these older races, etc. He killed it. Some decent humor too. I'm on my second read right now, loving it. They tried to pitch a movie of the Toblakai Karsa Orlong one I think.
I haven't read the Crucible series yet though.
I personally love it. It's not as deep or narrative as some books, but the power-curve of the characters, and the scope of powers I just really have enjoyed. You'll know quickly if you like it or not.
It came recommended by some other author I liked...they are pretty short but he cranks them out really fast. They are included (free) with Kindle Unlimited.
I just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.
What a surprisingly good series. World-building? Nah. The Forged Ones? Hand-waived, under-developed, no one cares. The main characters and their relationships? Oddly I think they are the best expression of that in any book I've read. My wife dislikes fantasy but loved it too. I still think about some of Nighteye's dialogue having read that series some 15 years ago.
If you like Malazan, and haven't read The Black Company, I strongly suggest it.
Yes, they were great. I may go back and read them after Malazan since it's been a while.

I'm kind of so so on superhero movies. I've liked some of them over the years, though I've only recently learned about the Marvel / DC difference. Our older kiddo likes them for the moment, so generally I only worry about the level of violence. There are some pretty decent Spiderman animated films and series that are ok for little kids.

Back
Top Bottom