• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I the only one who hates superhero "Marvel" movies?

PNW Guy

CAUTION: SNARK AREA!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I mean the genre is ridiculous in it's premise, then done to death. Hollywood has lost any real creativity. Movies nowadays are all special effects, ridiculous fantastical terrible plot nonsense. There just isn't a lot coming out that's original, or even interesting IMO.

I don't even have examples really, I hate the Genre so much I can't really watch them.

I don't "hate" them, but they have been the reason behind a lot of negative trends in the industry.

I watched a couple of Batman and Superman movies years ago and didn't like them so I stopped. I did like a cable series with Krysten Ritter but that ended and I was done with th superhero thing.

I mean the genre is ridiculous in it's premise, then done to death. Hollywood has lost any real creativity. Movies nowadays are all special effects, ridiculous fantastical terrible plot nonsense. There just isn't a lot coming out that's original, or even interesting IMO.

I don't even have examples really, I hate the Genre so much I can't really watch them.
I can't be bothered enough to hate I'm apathetic. I enjoyed iron Man and that was the last one what have they made like 9 million since then?

I think they’re a lot of fun.

DC universe movies are even worse. DC movies on their own though are pretty good. Theres a thing to be said about over saturation, eventually they run out of steam.

The movies did get thanos better than the comics though. Better motivation than his infatuation with lady death.

I haven’t been moved to see even one of them — previews are bad enough.

Maybe I’m overly sensitive, but what feels like visual and auditory assault is not at all pleasant.

They're fine - they are like the movie version of sitcoms. I won't pay to see them in the theater but will watch with one eye if the family wants to stream one.

I mean the genre is ridiculous in it's premise, then done to death.
I'm not sure it's fair to dismiss a entire genre out-of-hand like that. Regardless, everyone has their own tastes and preferences, and there are films out there to meet pretty much any requirement, so I don't see the point in complaining about the few you might dislike.

Hollywood has lost any real creativity. Movies nowadays are all special effects, ridiculous fantastical terrible plot nonsense. There just isn't a lot coming out that's original, or even interesting IMO.
Are you sure that's a fair perception? The link below lists films released in 2020, sorted by popularity by default, and I see a wide range of styles and stories, plenty of which being original. The only big effects-based film is the Avatar sequel and there isn't a superhero film until number 30.

The movies did get thanos better than the comics though. Better motivation than his infatuation with lady death.
Killing 50% of life is a stupid plot.

He started working on it decade's ago and on earth the population more than doubled

He started working on it decade's ago and on earth the population more than doubled
Dude, he was working on the reduction of the entire universe. Just because he hadn't gotten to earth yet to cut their population in half doesn't make it a plot hole. Not to mention that a misguided mission doesn't make it any less real to the misguided one, nor them any less dangerous in trying to carry out that mission.

Im saying his motivations were more humanized and better for storytelling than “im doing this so i can woo lady death”

I have zero desire to watch a bunch of stupid arrested development fanboy wank that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make.

Brainless crap.

Dude, he was working on the reduction of the entire universe. Just because he hadn't gotten to earth yet to cut their population in half doesn't make it a plot hole. Not to mention that a misguided mission doesn't make it any less real to the misguided one, nor them any less dangerous in trying to carry out that mission.

I understand the motivation but the idea of a one time population reduction to help create peace is idiotic for a super villain who is intelligent. In most cases the population reduction effect would be nullified in 100 years, making it a futile effort.

The murder of trillions of people for something that would be nullified in 100 years would be a waste of time

I understand the motivation but the idea of a one time population reduction to help create peace is idiotic for a super villain who is intelligent. In most cases the population reduction effect would be nullified in 100 years, making it a futile effort.

The murder of trillions of people for something that would be nullified in 100 years would be a waste of time
It highlights greatly that particular trait of otherwise intelligent people to be hyper focused so much on the goal, that they lose all sense of logic and subsequent follow-up events. While writ large, I found it to be a good parallel on what some of our fellow humans do. And while those of us who are outside this particular disconnect can see the inefficiency and waste of his path, those who are within such disconnects do not readily do so. I also think there was influence there in the form of the Children. And we can see that from the What If...? episode when Thanos was talked into a better way of achieving his goal.

If you're fed up with classical superhero stuff, you could always watch The Boys, or watch Invincible

Or watch them both

Joker, which I don't believe can really be considered Marvel is a brilliant film. The character Harley Quinn when played by Margot Robbie is worth sitting through any movie no matter how bad the rest is.
Other than that, I hate them too.

Joker, which I don't believe can really be considered Marvel is a brilliant film. The character Harley Quinn when played by Margot Robbie is worth sitting through any movie no matter how bad the rest is.
Other than that, I hate them too.

The latest Batman movie while nominally a superhero movie is more like a detective movie with good action sequences.

A tone like the Joker movie

I think they're entertaining, but I do miss the variety of films we used to get. Fortunately, TV is better than it used to be. Used to be 90% sit coms and cop shows.

I'm a little tired of them, but I don't hate them. I like the premise itself, being a fantasy reader. However, just like a good song gets old because the radio plays it over and over again, this genre of movies is kinda played out.

The cool thing is...no one is forcing you to watch them.

I don't hate them, but I don't watch them.

Well, you're not a comics/fantasy guy, no big deal.

Iron Man and Avengers were great entertainment. Thor and Captain America were pretty good too. Wanda Vision was pretty novel.

I do think its over-saturated...but then that's to be expected. Lots of money in it, so they gave fans what they wanted.
Marvel is a big universe, lots of territory to cover! DC I am much less interested in, and they haven't done anything as good as the best Marvel pics to date.

We're seeing a huge decline in Hollywood movies though, and I think that trend will continue. HBO showed the world what could be done with quality over quantity in series like Sopranos and GOT, and then of course they were bought out and the new boss promised quantity over quality....that's corporate ****-you America for you.

During the meeting, Stankey and HBO boss Richard Plepler talked about the former's desire to produce more shows, even if it leads to poorer-quality content overall.

Back
Top Bottom