• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I the only one troubled with Trump's NHC using a Latinx name for a hurricane?

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Surely I'm not the only person that has caught on to this. A destructive force given a name of an ethnicity Trump thinks is destructive on our country? Surely even the "OMG you lib'rals see racism everywhere" people can see how problematic it is for the Trump National Hurricane Center to do this.

Surely I'm not the only person that has caught on to this. A destructive force given a name of an ethnicity Trump thinks is destructive on our country? Surely even the "OMG you lib'rals see racism everywhere" people can see how problematic it is for the Trump National Hurricane Center to do this.

What are you talking about? The hurricane names Marco and Laura? As if chosen due to origination of the name's ethnicity?

The Trump National Hurricane Center? Really?

I doubt that President Trump had any input into the naming of the hurricanes. And Marco and Laura are somehow offensive?

OMG you lib'rals see racism everywhere

There was a hurricane with my name, so I don't see this as even remotely a problem compared to daily Donald Trump and the corrupt republican party.

NOAA’s National Hurricane Center does not control the naming of tropical storms. Instead, there is a strict procedure established by the World Meteorological Organization. For Atlantic hurricanes, there is a list of male and female names which are used on a six-year rotation. The only time that there is a change is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate. In the event that more than twenty-one named tropical cyclones occur in a season, any additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet.

Why do we name tropical storms and hurricanes?

It used to be that hurricane names were names generally considered 'white' and 'European.' Some years ago, in order to be inclusive, names not typically 'white' or 'european' were added.
What is more 'problematic' here is the paranoia, ignorance and in general continued lack of color-blindness of our progressive friends.

[/QUOT
..... my oldest daughter is named "Laura" - should I be offended? Should she? You need to get over yourself is all - there's enough REAL things in this world that deserves outrage. Focus your energy there.

[/QUOT
..... my oldest daughter is named "Laura" - should I be offended? Should she? You need to get over yourself is all - there's enough REAL things in this world that deserves outrage. Focus your energy there.

It used to be that hurricane names were names generally considered 'white' and 'European.' Some years ago, in order to be inclusive, names not typically 'white' or 'european' were added.
What is more 'problematic' here is the paranoia, ignorance and in general continued lack of color-blindness of our progressive friends.

Or the ignorance of our conservative friends... The US do not control the naming of tropical storms... It's WORLDWIDE organization called the WMO...

Tropical Cyclone Naming | World Meteorological Organization

Name them after dogs.Hurricane Rover or Snoopy.

Shades of Sheila Jackson Lee.

Yeah, I think you're the only one bothered by this.

Textbook example of Fauxtrage.

Back
Top Bottom