• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Am I Missing Something With The Zimmerman Case? [W:141]

MarineTpartier

Haters gon' hate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I am currently on leave and have been sitting at home in the morning, enjoying coffee and quiet, and watching the news. Everytime a black person comes on the news and speaks of the Zimmerman case, they speak of it as some sort of horrible atrocity. I have tried my hardest to think from the other side of this thing. I just don't understand where people are getting that this is an error in our justice system. Should Zimmerman have followed him? IDK. I probably would have considering he fit the description of most of the thieves that had been operating in the neighborhood. You see a black male, hiding his face, walking in the rain through your neighborhood. That fits the description of someone up to no good. Regardless of whether he was or not. Then, we know that Martin referred to Z as a honky. That seems lost upon the media. Anyway, Martin was in an advantageous position on Z in this fight. He very easily could have killed Z from that position. I definitely would have shot Martin from that position. Am I missing something here? Is something just totally flying over my head? I just don't see the atrocity in this.

Re: Am I Missing Something With The Zimmerman Case?

I am currently on leave and have been sitting at home in the morning, enjoying coffee and quiet, and watching the news. Everytime a black person comes on the news and speaks of the Zimmerman case, they speak of it as some sort of horrible atrocity. I have tried my hardest to think from the other side of this thing. I just don't understand where people are getting that this is an error in our justice system. Should Zimmerman have followed him? IDK. I probably would have considering he fit the description of most of the thieves that had been operating in the neighborhood. You see a black male, hiding his face, walking in the rain through your neighborhood. That fits the description of someone up to no good. Regardless of whether he was or not. Then, we know that Martin referred to Z as a honky. That seems lost upon the media. Anyway, Martin was in an advantageous position on Z in this fight. He very easily could have killed Z from that position. I definitely would have shot Martin from that position. Am I missing something here? Is something just totally flying over my head? I just don't see the atrocity in this.

So wearing a hat in the rain is suspicious? No it isn't. Is walking in the rain suspicious? No. At Night. No.

He was black is why.

He was black is why.

Even if that is true!!!! (Which it is not...) That doesn't give Trayvon Martin the license to punch him in the face and possibly/probably break his nose, jump on him, straddle him and boink his head on the concrete a time or two. Or do you live under different laws than the rest of us???

So wearing a hat in the rain is suspicious? No it isn't. Is walking in the rain suspicious? No. At Night. No.

He was black is why.
Wearing a hoodie is suspicious because it fit the description of other thieves that had broken into houses. Walking between houses was as well because no one knew Martin in that particular area. Plus, the fact that he put the hoody on after he noticed Z following him made it more suspicious. And yes, because he was black. There hadn't been any white thieves in that particular neighborhood. Can you answer the OP or are you just another race baiter?

Even if that is true!!!! (Which it is not...) That doesn't give Trayvon Martin the license to punch him in the face and possibly/probably break his nose, jump on him, straddle him and boink his head on the concrete a time or two. Or do you live under different laws than the rest of us???

Yes I understand you feel that blacks should be followed all the time.

If some strange man starts to follow you I am sure you won't feel threatened.

Wearing a hoodie is suspicious because it fit the description of other thieves that had broken into houses. Walking between houses was as well because no one knew Martin in that particular area. Plus, the fact that he put the hoody on after he noticed Z following him made it more suspicious. And yes, because he was black. There hadn't been any white thieves in that particular neighborhood. Can you answer the OP or are you just another race baiter?

Wearing a hoodie protects you from getting your hair wet in the rain. Same for an umbrella.

He was followed because he was black. Not for covering his head in the rain.

Yes I understand you feel that blacks should be followed all the time.

If some strange man starts to follow you I am sure you won't feel threatened.

Oh, I've already clearly expressed an opinion on THAT. What I wouldn't do is keep talking casually on the phone and do anything other than beat feet for home.

Oh, I've already clearly expressed an opinion on THAT. What I wouldn't do is keep talking casually on the phone and do anything other than beat feet for home.

Ah so you would be afraid.

Wearing a hoodie protects you from getting your hair wet in the rain. Same for an umbrella.

He was followed because he was black. Not for covering his head in the rain.
He didn't put the hoodie on until he saw Z following him. So he wasn't wearing it to protect from rain.

I already acknowledged that he was followed because he was black. He fit the profile of other thieves that had been robbing homes in the neighborhood. They were black.

Again, do you have a point?

He didn't put the hoodie on until he saw Z following him. So he wasn't wearing it to protect from rain.

I already acknowledged that he was followed because he was black. He fit the profile of other thieves that had been robbing homes in the neighborhood. They were black.

Again, do you have a point?

I made the point. He was followed and killed for being black.

Ah so you would be afraid.

I would have been slightly apprehensive when I thought a car had slowed and might be watching me. I'd be on full alert if that person got out of his car and walked toward me. In FACT, we have Zimmerman telling the 911 operator that Trayvon Martin was walking toward him. And absolutely no reason on God's green earth not to believe that.

Mags, it's clear what this guy's intent is. I'm on the verge of just ignoring him and moving along. He doesn't know anything about the case and is totally convinced beyond reason that the only reason Martin was shot was because he was black. Nevermind that Martin called Zimmerman a honky (by Martin's own girlfriend's admission) while Zimmerman never used a racial slur, nevermind that Martin confronted Zimmerman, nevermind that Martin hit Zimmerman first, nevermind that Martin was in full mount on top of Zimmerman smashing his head off the pavement. Those are just tiny details that should be ignored because Martin was black.

I made the point. He was followed and killed for being black.
Why didn't you just come out and say you were irrational and racist? I would have stopped debating you a few posts ago. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mags, it's clear what this guy's intent is. I'm on the verge of just ignoring him and moving along.

I was just thinking that very thing myself. This case has been argued ad nauseum by people who watched the trial and looked at all the evidence. This poster is not one of those. He is uninformed and biased. Why bother?

Why didn't you just come out and say you were irrational and racist? I would have stopped debating you a few posts ago. Thanks for clearing that up.

He was followed for being black. It wasn't for wearing a hat in the rain or eating candy.

He was followed for being black. It wasn't for wearing a hat in the rain or eating candy.

Are you hoping that if you say that enough times it'll magically become true? Thousands of hours of analysis by the jury completely disagrees.

You have absolutely no idea what happened that night or what went on in Zimmerman's brain. You weren't there.

Are you hoping that if you say that enough times it'll magically become true? Thousands of hours of analysis by the jury completely disagrees.

And the FBI. And the two investigating officers.

But why should truth enter into a discussion when race baiting is available?

It is true because that is what happened. Wearing a hat in the rain is not suspicious.

It is true because that is what happened. Wearing a hat in the rain is not suspicious.

Where were you hiding that night as you observed all this happening?

You have absolutely no idea what happened that night or what went on in Zimmerman's brain. You weren't there.

I don't think it was eating candy either. That didn't fit the profile of the other thieves. Also, he wasn't eating the candy while he was walking. He also wasn't wearing a hat. It was a hood. And yes, it was because he was black. We've established that.

I don't think it was eating candy either. That didn't fit the profile of the other thieves. Also, he wasn't eating the candy while he was walking. He also wasn't wearing a hat. It was a hood. And yes, it was because he was black. We've established that.

Having established he was targeted by an armed man for being black it is obviously Z at fault.

Having established he was targeted by an armed man for being black it is obviously Z at fault.
Targeted for what? Observation? The real question is why didn't Martin just go home instead of choosing to confront the "creepy ass cracker" that was following him? Zimmerman targeted Martin for observation. Martin targeted Zimmerman's nose. Martin got shot for it. End of story.

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether the racists are supposed to be rooting for the blacks or the hispanics. It's not every day that an hispanic guy shoots a black guy or vice-versa, right? For some reason this case got more attention than all the others that happen all the time, but seriously... there are so many accusations of racism going on that it's hard to figure this out. If someone is a racist would they really be rooting for the hispanic guy? Wouldn't they be hoping he'd go to prison since he's one of those "brown" people? Oh wait... it's a "white hispanic". A whole new race of people to explain this mystery.

What was it really? It was an unfortunate and very sad event. A young man died and the case for self defense wasn't so clear cut that the grand jury refused to indict, so it went to trial. The shooter got acquitted after the jurors heard all evidence from both sides and got full instruction from the judge on how to interpret the laws.

Trying to inflame racism over this is small, petty and counterproductive and makes me think racism is coveted rather than rejected by those who want to dwell on the "racist" aspect of this.

1. You don't understand why a lot of black people are upset? Read this and if you don't get it after that, you never will. http://gawker.com/the-zimmerman-jury-told-young-black-men-what-we-already-770650992

2. Martin didn't call him a "honky". He referred to him as a "creepy ass cracker". It was covered by the media. It wasn't covered ad nauseam because it isn't relevant. You obviously didn't watch the trial well.

This particular line that you wrote struck me:

You see a black male, hiding his face, walking in the rain through your neighborhood. That fits the description of someone up to no good.
It was Trayvon's neighborhood too. And wearing a hoodie in the rain is not "hiding your face" - white people do it all the time with it being considered suspicious. And in what world - other than a racist one - does a black teenager wearing a hoodie in the rain "fit the description of someone up to no good". Is that really what this country has come to? Where all it takes to be suspicious is to be a black kid walking in rain with a hood on your head? Really? I can't even be mad anymore. It's just sad. Trayvon's death is sad. The acquittal is sad. Your post and attitude are sad. It's all just sad and sick and I can't wait until I and other people work to fix it.

Zimmerman targeted Martin for observation.
According to Zimmerman. Don't you love how people just take the word of the guy who silenced the person with the other side of the story.

Back
Top Bottom