• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I just over-reacting?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Ok - the other week at my daughter's girlscout meeting someoen brought in grapes for a snack. She didn't rinse them, she just set the bag down on the table.
- Not so much that grapes can adequately be "cleaned" - but I've always rinsed them to get the little bits of leaves and possible bugs off -am I the only one?

And the other day I went to a donut shop early in the morning. There wer two customers in front of me checking out. The lady at the register tried to ring her up, it didn't work, she walked around the counter and jiggled the phone lines - back to the register, still didn't work. She left the room for a minute - came back, she scratched her head in confusion and flipped her hair - told the lady it was just rejecting her card.
She then immediately takes the next order - and then uses her bare hands to pick the donuts up out of the case.
- I was so disgusted I left. . . .Now, would anyone else have been grossed out?

Just like the donuts thing - I was in subway and I left because I saw the manager filling the condiment trays without gloves on - pickles, tomatoes . . . all that - barehanded.
- I didn't even order, I left.

Am I just over recting. Or is it acceptable to expect people to wash fruits and veggies before serving it to people - or to wear gloves before handling someone else's food?

Nah, your expectations aren't unreasonable. At least in Australia it's the law to do stuff like that (well... maybe not the 'wash fruit when you get it home' one... but it is recommended)

I would have left too, Aunt Spiker. That's just nasty. :vomit: God only knows where their hands have been if they scratch their head and then touch food?! Disgusting!!

Edit to add: I always rinse/wash my produce off before using it. Who knows who's touched it or what traces of pesticide are lingering? It's just a good practice, IMHO.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to call you a germaphobe. :lol:

I walked out of a sandwich shop when the dude making the sandwiches was coughing in his hand and then reaching into the lettuce to make the next sandwich. Gross. Gross. Gross.

You guys that are grossed out need to stop eating out anywhere then. I worked fast food and at a couple of chain diners during HS and the nasty crap that goes on at these places is amazing. Unless it is a joint where you can actually watch them make the food, you don't want to eat it. I have seen burgers dropped on the floor and picked up and put back on the grill. I have seen a manager pull garnish out of the garbage, rinse it off and reuse it. I have seen a dead mouse scooped out of the fry oil at a Mickey D's. all kinds of gross and nasty stuff goes on behind the scenes.

I once overheard some truckers comparing notes in a truck stop. One of them described a diner where the cook was making hamburger patties, paused to scratch her hairy armpit, and went back to shaping the patties. He promptly got up and left. I knew where the diner was, and made note never to go there.

You guys that are grossed out need to stop eating out anywhere then. I worked fast food and at a couple of chain diners during HS and the nasty crap that goes on at these places is amazing. Unless it is a joint where you can actually watch them make the food, you don't want to eat it. I have seen burgers dropped on the floor and picked up and put back on the grill. I have seen a manager pull garnish out of the garbage, rinse it off and reuse it. I have seen a dead mouse scooped out of the fry oil at a Mickey D's. all kinds of gross and nasty stuff goes on behind the scenes.
I worked fast food when I was 16 and 17 (two separate places) and never EVER saw anything inappropriate. Maybe it was luck of the draw, maybe not. I'm sure it happens, but if I WITNESS it, I'm outta there.

My kids and myself rarely eat out anyway... so I don't give it a lot of thought but again, witnessing it I am leaving and taking my chances somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom