• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Am I a Bleeding Heart Liberal?

Actual welfare, TANF, is not even that big of a program. Yearly federal outlays for it are around 17 billion a year or so. This is compared to 550 billion or so spent on Medicaid every year. You saying the cancer patients, severely mentally disabled, and impoverished kids that make up the bulk of Medicaid spending are not "truly needy"? We spend hundreds of billions every year on Medicare. You saying your grandparents don't need that? The problem with some of yall on the right is you focus on small programs and say "lots of fraud there", while you either ignore, or are ignorant of the fact that the vast majority of social spending in this country does go to people that actually need it. One terminal cancer patient on Medicaid will cost the program more than dozens if not hundreds of poor kids on it or single mothers on it.

Great on-topic post - your points demonstrate, quite adequately, the hypocrisy of Republicans whining about welfare; and especially the Conservative media that influences them.

If the people weren’t so overtaxed they could give more money to churches, and in fact would because even if they didn’t believe it would be in their rational self interest to do so.

Also associating with churches gets you social connections to improve your life.

With trump's draconian tax cuts the wealthy and corporations now have much more disposable income. I wonder if there's a way to test your theory and see if charitable contributions nationwide have increased recently? Otherwise you post is nothing but crap you've pulled out of your ass.

With trump's draconian tax cuts the wealthy and corporations now have much more disposable income. I wonder if there's a way to test your theory and see if charitable contributions nationwide have increased recently? Otherwise you post is nothing but crap you've pulled out of your ass.

You need to repeal welfare as well because most people will still assume it’s the government’s problem if the program exists.

It’s interesting that Medicare for all polls really well when the question doesn’t include Scandinavian level individual taxation on middle class income

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because hardcore right-wingers want to use charity from the church as a means to proselytize people and convert them to their religion. Liberals understand that kindness being used as a means to an end to manipulate others is not in fact kindness at all.

Liberals only care about people, as long as they vote the right way.

Do you donate money to the treasury? Pay more taxes than you owe?

Do you donate money to the treasury? Pay more taxes than you owe?

Do you ever contribute a coherent thought to this discussion board?

Do you ever contribute a coherent thought to this discussion board?

Do you ever have the guts to have a real conversation?

I believe that whoever believes the government doesn't have enough annual revenue should donate to the treasury and/or pay more taxes i.e. refuse to take breaks, credits and deductions to in order to reduce their tax bill. Do you agree?

Do you ever have the guts to have a real conversation?

I believe that whoever believes the government doesn't have enough annual revenue should donate to the treasury and/or pay more taxes i.e. refuse to take breaks, credits and deductions to in order to reduce their tax bill. Do you agree?

Your question is non-responsive to my original post. How are you benefiting from the GOP tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations? Answer that question coherently. Prove to this forum you have wisdom to contribute or just take a hike. Either way, I promise you I don't care.

Your question is non-responsive to my original post. How are you benefiting from the GOP tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations? Answer that question coherently. Prove to this forum you have wisdom to contribute or just take a hike. Either way, I promise you I don't care.

I have an LLC. My tax bill next year will be $10,000+ lower than this year, based on the same earnings. That's how I benefitted.

Now, man-up answer my question.

Even hard core right wingers acknowledge the same. They just put the job in the hands of the church, not the state.
Sorry, charity can't replace Medicaid nore SNAP for poor Americans. Before these programs existed, there were charities and they were inadequate. That's why those programs were formed in the first place.

I have an LLC. My tax bill next year will be $10,000+ lower than this year, based on the same earnings. That's how I benefitted.

Now, man-up answer my question.

I don't believe you. What tax law changed that resulted in your 10k net gain, compared to 2017?

And even if your bull**** was true, how does a corporation's tax break help me and the majority of other Americans who aren't corporations?

Last edited:
Thank you for demonstrating you are picking winners and losers. In violation of the constitution no less.
Sorry, conservative bemoaning picking winners and losers went out the door when they back Trump -- who picks winners and losers all the time. He's backed policies that help coal at the expense of renewable energy. Farmers got $12 billion in emergency aid in response to the Trump Administration’s tariffs on Chinese products. Trump's tariffs help save U.S. metal producing job at the expense of auto manufacturing. Chinese-made iPhones and Apple Watches were left off the most recent tariff list, as was the painkiller ibuprofen and certain children’s products. Many of these products found their way off the list through successful lobbying efforts.

So don't lecture about picking winners and losers.

I acknowledge that there are people in this country who cannot contribute to society, either because of physical, mental, or emotional considerations. Am I a Bleeding Heart Liberal?

I also acknowledge that there probably is some welfare fraud in this country. That said, welfare fraud is managed at the State level, and in that sense, National politics is NOT involved. I find that those that vote Nationally based on what they perceive, as welfare-recipients-on-the-take, are misguided. Does that make me a Bleeding Heart Liberal?

There is a simple test to find out if you are a bleeding heart liberal.

Q1. Do you worship Donald Trump and swear to take everything he says as gospel?
Q2. Do you swear to never question your Republican leadership and ignore anything proof of any wrong doing?
Q3. Do you hate anyone who believes different than you?

If you answer no to any of the above you are a bleeding heart liberal and are an enemy of the right.

I don't believe you. What tax law changed that resulted in your 10k net gain, compared to 2017?

And even if your bull**** was true, how does a corporation's tax break help me and the majority of other Americans who aren't corporations?

So, you don't have the guts to have a real conversation. But, we already knew that. Didn't we?

He is confusing tax bill with total earnings. He made 10K total last year - most of that in state issued welfare checks.

So, you don't have the guts to have a real conversation. But, we already knew that. Didn't we?

You know what? Always remember this: Just because people think you're full of **** doesn't necessarily mean they don't like you. So with that, I say, "Good Day"!

He is confusing tax bill with total earnings. He made 10K total last year - most of that in state issued welfare checks.

No, I think it's a much more simple explanation that that: He's lying.

You know what? Always remember this: Just because people think you're full of **** doesn't necessarily mean they don't like you. So with that, I say, "Good Day"!

Ya know whatelse? I don't care if you like me, or not.

Not liking me is no excuse to get pissy when you don't dig the answer you get when you ask a question. That's why no one takes Liberals seriously.

I didn't say "10k net gain", so the confusion isn't mine.

Ya know whatelse? I don't care if you like me, or not.

Not liking me is no excuse to get pissy when you don't dig the answer you get when you ask a question. That's why no one takes Liberals seriously.

Stop lying and deflecting and people might start taking you seriously.

Stop lying and deflecting and people might start taking you seriously.

Oh, nooooo, I never expect Liberals to put aside their superiority complexes and allow themselves to learn something...lol

That's a good thing, though. The more know-it-all Liberals there are in the world, the fewer people I have to compete against to make a living. Wish there were more of them, actually, but then again, that would be a bad thing, too.

Yeah, I heard this stupid story a long time ago, and surprise surprise...
Jim's Corner

It's not actually true. It's just another stupid story that conservatives made up and attributed to Davey Crockett in order to try and make it seem credible, but it never happened and there's no actual rational basis for it.

So, you accused me of not understanding the constitution. I then quoted the literal constitution to prove you wrong. You then came back with a fabricated parable that has nothing to do with the actual constitution and is just propaganda for stupid right-wingers.

Fact: The constitution grants congress the right to lay and collect taxes for the general welfare of the country.

Sorry pal, but it is mine to give. You see I'm a voter, and while some people may have individually acquired great wealth validly via our economic system, this would not be possible at all without the existence of that system. Taxes are payment for services rendered. Even if you don't think you want a particular service provided for you, even if you don't understand how a particular service benefits you the truth is this. There's no way to provide many of these services in such a way as so that they would only benefit the people who actually want them to exist. As result, we either provide them for everyone or no one, and that gets decided by a vote.

Furthermore, if you think your money isn't mine to give, then my money isn't yours to give. I don't want any of my tax dollars going to pay for police or military. None. Get rid of them all and I'm fine with that. Let's see how much of your wealth you can hold onto when there's no government-run security protecting your property for you.

Dont mind you giving. Its the willful theft of resources, land, labor, and votes you advocate that I object to.

You may have a point. According to this study, the new tax bill will reduce Charitable contributions by 4%.

https://psmag.com/economics/will-tax-reform-reduce-charitable-giving

Using data from the Open Source Policy Center, Brill and Choe estimate that the TCJA will reduce charitable giving in the U.S. by $17.2 billion (or 4 percent) in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom