• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alternative Universes, Heaven and Hell

Ug make hammer

Dawn Sky Miner
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Maybe I've just rediscovered Raëlism here, but I will present it while it's still fresh in my mind.

In strong Multiple universe theory, the universe splits into two very similar versions every time a quantum event occurs. Quantum events occur in every interaction between two or more subatomic particle, so the technical term for how many universes there would be by now, is Lots to the power of Lots, to the power of a Thundering Pants-load.

A less scientific and more useful idea of Multiple Universes is that they split every time a macroscopic (eg human) decision is made. This might be scientific after all, since we don't know whether the 'special' experience of consciousness (which imbues our decisions with knowledge from the past and foresight of the future) is related to quantum processes in nerve cells. As an aside, other animals have brains too, so if there is quantum magic in nerve cells, making humans special, then animals are special too.

OK, so what about if there is a caretaker God, making humans who are sufficiently developed to be held responsible take "one or the other path" with every single decision they make? That is, the universe I'm living in now, I chose by my own best and worst decisions, and I'm exactly as happy as I deserve to be. And the reason there aren't happy Christians (or other Believers) all around me, is that I'm living only with those Believers who made bad (uncharitable, perverse, ignorant) decisions.

Note that my theory has no place for heaven or hell. The thread title is a bit click-baity that way, but not a lie: we are each living in the world we deserve, and when we die that's it. No more me, no more you.

Suppose my ideal life ("heaven") involves me living to 1,000 in perfect health. Everybody loving me, and having opportunities to do good in the world ... fairly common ideas of a perfect life I am guessing. Yet I'm on the usual trajectory of age, clearly past teenage invincibility, getting random aches and pains.

I know of no-one living to 1,000 though. I must be stuck in the universe where NO ONE ON RECORD has lived to 1,000 and from this I infer some force is selecting who goes to which universe. And relative to the best and the worst possible people, everyone in my universe (OUR universe) is fairly mediocre.

Suppose my ideal life ("heaven") involves me living to 1,000 in perfect health. Everybody loving me, and having opportunities to do good in the world ... fairly common ideas of a perfect life I am guessing. Yet I'm on the usual trajectory of age, clearly past teenage invincibility, getting random aches and pains.

I know of no-one living to 1,000 though. I must be stuck in the universe where NO ONE ON RECORD has lived to 1,000 and from this I infer some force is selecting who goes to which universe. And relative to the best and the worst possible people, everyone in my universe (OUR universe) is fairly mediocre.

Math suggests that in some of these near-infinte universes I may be a candy covered clown, but in none of them am I dancing!

According to your theory, your presence in your current universe is the result of decisions made by either trillions of life forms on Earth that have nervous systems, or countless subatomic particle interactions. In either scenario, your decisions had only a tiny, tiny effect on the universe you are living in.

According to your theory, your presence in your current universe is the result of decisions made by either trillions of life forms on Earth that have nervous systems, or countless subatomic particle interactions. In either scenario, your decisions had only a tiny, tiny effect on the universe you are living in.

Your individual conscience follows the decisions made by only one person: you. Everything else in the universe is probabilistic (ie, people are robots, dogs are dumber robots, etc). All the other universes have a robot version of you (no consciousness).

For MY universe, you're the robot. The whole universe I see, is the way it is, because of choices I made. It's my heaven, and my hell.

Of course the numbers are staggering, and the existence of so many other stars that are essentially decoration (or at best, something my cast of characters learn from) seems grossly wasteful. But the multiverse is like that: understanding WHY there could be so many things is relatively easy, but the numbers are staggering.

Im not sure there is sufficient evidence to indicate that there are separate universes and that one decision creates a separate universe. We all still live in the same universe.

Back
Top Bottom