• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Already 17 Times More Coverage on Christie Scandal Than obama"s IRS scandal

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
The bias in our media is reaching the point of absurdity and the network news has become a complete farce.

In less than 24 hours, the big three networks have devoted 17 times more coverage to a traffic scandal involving Chris Christie than they've allowed in the last six months to Barack Obama's Internal Revenue Service controversy. Since the story broke on Wednesday that aides to the New Jersey governor punished a local mayor's lack of endorsement with a massive traffic jam, ABC, CBS and NBC have responded with 34 minutes and 28 seconds of coverage. Since July 1, these same networks managed a scant two minutes and eight seconds for the IRS targeting of Tea Party groups.

Read more: There's Already 17 Times More Coverage on Christie Scandal Than in Last Six Months of IRS | NewsBusters

I watched Fox a lot of the day yesterday. I noticed not one talking head talked about Christie that did not end up talking about Obama's made up scandals and a very real scandal caused by people he worked with every day. Funny how Christie just ddint know, yet the Prestident was supposed to know what some low level IRS guy in Cincinati was misapplying the law. At least the RW remains amusing. Why does a real news station (Faux) get a pass on the deflection?
The bias in our media is reaching the point of absurdity and the network news has become a complete farce.

In less than 24 hours, the big three networks have devoted 17 times more coverage to a traffic scandal involving Chris Christie than they've allowed in the last six months to Barack Obama's Internal Revenue Service controversy. Since the story broke on Wednesday that aides to the New Jersey governor punished a local mayor's lack of endorsement with a massive traffic jam, ABC, CBS and NBC have responded with 34 minutes and 28 seconds of coverage. Since July 1, these same networks managed a scant two minutes and eight seconds for the IRS targeting of Tea Party groups.

Read more: There's Already 17 Times More Coverage on Christie Scandal Than in Last Six Months of IRS | NewsBusters

I watched Fox a lot of the day yesterday. I noticed not one talking head talked about Christie that did not end up talking about Obama's made up scandals and a very real scandal caused by people he worked with every day. Funny how Christie just ddint know, yet the Prestident was supposed to know what some low level IRS guy in Cincinati was misapplying the law. At least the RW remains amusing. Why does a real news station (Faux) get a pass on the deflection?

Obama never knows anything. He'll be the first to tell you.

Why arent you guys repeating the same thing about Christie over and over? Oh yea, double standard.
Obama never knows anything. He'll be the first to tell you.

Why arent you guys repeating the same thing about Christie over and over? Oh yea, double standard.

When it comes to the R and D partisans, double standards are the norms. Regardless of what my guys does, real or perceived or not, you defend him and regardless of what the other guy does, real or perceived you crucify him. Let's face it, to a partisan of either party, what my guy does is always right, pure at heart and what the other guy does is always wrong and evil.

That is politics in today's America. Did Obama know about the IRS, I don't know. Did Christie know about the bridge closing, I don't know. But I will admit that. There is only one way to find out the truth, appoint an independent council or investigator with the power to dig even if it becomes political embarrassing. Is there a there, there in either of these cases, I don't know. But I probably will never know about the IRS, Christie's bridge, there is a better chance there of the truth coming out. But it won't be easy to get at.

Let's face it, democrats don't want to find out the truth one way or the other with the IRS and republicans don't want to find out the truth one way or the other with Christie's bridge. But each side wants as much dirt and scandal on the other side as possible. Truth be damned.

There hasn't been much happening with the IRS thing. Maybe Megyn Kelly could do something, but of course we had to know what race Santa Claus was.

Newsbusters calling the media biased is like Stalin calling Mao a Communist.

When it comes to the R and D partisans, double standards are the norms. Regardless of what my guys does, real or perceived or not, you defend him and regardless of what the other guy does, real or perceived you crucify him. Let's face it, to a partisan of either party, what my guy does is always right, pure at heart and what the other guy does is always wrong and evil.

That is politics in today's America. Did Obama know about the IRS, I don't know. Did Christie know about the bridge closing, I don't know. But I will admit that. There is only one way to find out the truth, appoint an independent council or investigator with the power to dig even if it becomes political embarrassing. Is there a there, there in either of these cases, I don't know. But I probably will never know about the IRS, Christie's bridge, there is a better chance there of the truth coming out. But it won't be easy to get at.

Let's face it, democrats don't want to find out the truth one way or the other with the IRS and republicans don't want to find out the truth one way or the other with Christie's bridge. But each side wants as much dirt and scandal on the other side as possible. Truth be damned.

i think the bridge scandal has more focus because there are email correspondences between a member of christies inner circle and the port authority officials in charge of running the GW bridge.

Nobody really wants the truth in the IRS or Benghazi. If we actually knew the truth, it probably would be less of a big deal than they get to make it in an election year. In fact, we'd probably find out that the IRS scandal wasn't too far off from this.

The real point of this thread is that sawyer's butt-hurt because the media doesn't skew the way he wants it to.

There hasn't been much happening with the IRS thing. Maybe Megyn Kelly could do something, but of course we had to know what race Santa Claus was.

Newsbusters calling the media biased is like Stalin calling Mao a Communist.

No foolin'! The mission of Newsbusters, as it says on their website, is to expose and combat LOBERAL media bias. They don't seem to have a problem with the bias shown by conservative news outlets such as Fox.

In less than 24 hours, the big three networks have devoted 17 times more coverage to a traffic scandal involving Chris Christie than they've allowed in the last six months to Barack Obama's Internal Revenue Service controversy.
Since the story broke on Wednesday that aides to the New Jersey governor punished a local mayor's lack of endorsement with a massive traffic jam, ABC, CBS and NBC have responded with 34 minutes and 28 seconds of coverage. Since July 1, these same networks managed a scant two minutes and eight seconds for the IRS targeting of Tea Party groups.

What, if anything, is your frickin' point?

Are you upset that more time has been wasted on this non-scandal than on the other non-scandal?

Or, do you think that more time should have been wasted on the other non-scandal?

So, again, I ask you: What is your frickin' point?

Last edited:

1 deputy aid vs 1 of millions of government employees.
But beyond that, can we compare the "bridge scandal to the Bengazi" in term of coverage

I don't think we need partisan businesses to tell us there's been more coverage of Christie's issues on the GW Bridge issue than the IRS scandal. If one just tunes in they'd see that. If it's not obvious by now it should be - ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC the list can include newspapers or other cable shows ... they primarily cover Democrat issues when they have to, but relish covering Republican issues because of obvious bias. FOX is an anomaly that goes the other way and is opposite of the liberal bias, and is the only alternative at a national level.

I think we knew this was going on as early as 2007 with the now famous Journolist group of left leaning print and media people colluding how to put a Democrat back in the White House among other things. Bottom line is, our national media want to cover and expose Republicans extensively and often as it follows their editors and producers political narrative. They do not want to do the same for Democrats and use bias by omission as much as any other tactic.

The IRS thingy was never a scandal but the bridge controversy definitely is one.

As a staunch conservative I can't imagine these stooges sitting a room coming up with something as stupid as a traffic jam as a revenge tool. This is something a group of 10 year old boys would come up with. So one idiot voices this idea and others say yay that's great, that'll show them!!! WTF?! Now Christie says the buck stop with him and he is right, he is responsible for his people. What shocks me is how infantile this prank is. Is this the BEST tactic those professional adults can come up with? Why not put gum in the hair of their targets or put poop on the front door landing and light it on fire then ring the door bell? If Christie actually interacted with these people as part of his job and did not sense how stupid they are then he ought to step down and hand old Hillary the keys to the White House. Now who are we going to run against Old Ironsides, Peter Griffin, Homer Simpson, Bullwinkle?

The IRS thingy was never a scandal but the bridge controversy definitely is one.

Very true, the IRS "thingy" was much more than a scandal it was using the IRS to swing an election so it is a crime not a scandal. The bridge scandal got 17 more times coverage in 24 hours than Obama's attack on our constitution and using the IRS for political purposes crime got in six months. No bias here,:lamo

Very true, the IRS "thingy" was much more than a scandal it was using the IRS to swing an election so it is a crime not a scandal. The bridge scandal got 17 more times coverage in 24 hours than Obama's attack on our constitution and using the IRS for political purposes crime got in six months. No bias here,:lamo
Bull****. We were told by Rep. Issa that it only conservative groups were targeted, however we learned later he lied and progressive groups were also targeted along with others. Besides, if the object was to get tax exempt status, they could have gotten it through IRS code 527 as they have done before. The reason they wanted 501(c)(4) was because they could keep their donors anonymous.

Phony Scandal

There was nothing in the IRS scandel that showed partisan intent as clearly as the message that Christie's deputy cheif of staff sent to the port authority workers.

There was nothing in the IRS scandel that showed partisan intent as clearly as the message that Christie's deputy cheif of staff sent to the port authority workers.

Targeting tea party groups with one or two other types of group and holding up processing, requiring extensive questionnaires while letting others go through, getting caught, then blaming it on the Cinncinatti office, and having the President say in a speech that the IRS improperly screened conservative groups.

Certainly, nothing partisan about singling out conservatives. :lamo

i think the bridge scandal has more focus because there are email correspondences between a member of christies inner circle and the port authority officials in charge of running the GW bridge.

Tell you the truth, I am not that much worried about either one. I know from reading that LBJ was one invective SOB and he used the IRS to get back at his political opponents, something Nixon was accused of trying to do. So using the powers of government against one's political opponents has been going on for a very long time. Christies bridge doesn't effect me down here in Georgia and I could care less. The IRS thing may grab my attention a bit more, but only because that is dealing with a sitting president, maybe, maybe not. Chances are it was just some zealous IRS employees wanting to please their boss.

Christie is just the presumed front runner for the Republicans. This far out that means nothing. He only has the support of 18% of all Republicans according to RCP and the rest is divided among 6 or 7 others. It is interesting to know these types of vindictive political shenanigans happen. But I have seen these things time and time again beginning with LBJ.

I just make a mental note of these things and continue on. Neither terribly bothers me. But if we were a lot closer to 2016, I would dig into it to find out how this is effecting the way independents think of Christie and would it change their vote. But this far out, I doubt anyone cares outside of those involved and the high partisan on each side. Now the people of New Jersey and Ft. Lee, now that is a different matter. Let them have their vengeance if warranted. In the grand scheme of things, that would be probably a good thing. If not warranted, then Christie is home free, he fired those responsible and can do nothing else.

I will say Christie's candor of saying basically the buck stops with him was very refreshing. I haven't seen that out of this president.

Makes sense. Besides the IRS thing is old hat. Whether or not the president had anything to do with it, I do not think we will ever know. That is until 30 years or so down the road his presidential library releases some documents on it. I see the news covering the bridge scandal all over the place, but I do wonder if anyone cares outside of the are effected. I don't know.

Targeting tea party groups with one or two other types of group and holding up processing, requiring extensive questionnaires while letting others go through, getting caught, then blaming it on the Cinncinatti office, and having the President say in a speech that the IRS improperly screened conservative groups.

Certainly, nothing partisan about singling out conservatives. :lamo

Oh i think this little gem shows some intent

"I feel badly about the kids," one text reads, sent at 8:05 a.m. on the second morning of the closures. Fort Lee officials have said that school buses were severely delayed by the traffic jams.
"They are the children of Buono voters," Mr. Wildstein replies. State Sen. Barbara Buono was Mr. Christie's Democratic opponent in the race for governor.
Christie Aide: 'Time for Some Traffic Problems' - WSJ.com

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/GWB.pdf

... Newsbuster, through a Newsbuster "study" deemed that new breaking stories get more time than stories that are now.... what? 10 months old? I'm... just.. I don't know what to tell anybody who religiously follows NewsBuster or MediaMatters anymore. It's like these people don't actually work in media.

Makes sense. Besides the IRS thing is old hat. Whether or not the president had anything to do with it, I do not think we will ever know. That is until 30 years or so down the road his presidential library releases some documents on it. I see the news covering the bridge scandal all over the place, but I do wonder if anyone cares outside of the are effected. I don't know.

Well it seems that bridge scandals seem to outrank the disaster in west Virginia according to what gets more attention on this site.

Back
Top Bottom