• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Almost Half of France Sees Muslims as a Threat to National Identity

For the love of god... do you even learn anything over there in history class? How many natives were left after the Spanish took an area? And regardless I never denied native ancestry... show me where I did that?

Indigenous languages of Mexico survive today. Oaxacans, in particular, bear no physical similarities with Spaniards whatsoever. Appropriately 25% of Mexicans claim 'indigenous' when they fill out their census paperwork.

I actually live around mostly Mexican Americans. They don't agree with you, sorry Pete.

Now are you saying that most Mexicans are of native ancestry?

DNA tests can determine race. Why don't we let Mexicans take a DNA test and call themselves what they want, since they're certain more Native American than you or I?

Indigenous languages of Mexico survive today. Oaxacans, in particular, bear no physical similarities with Spaniards whatsoever.

Yes just as in the US there are natives as well.. so freaking what? Have I called them white? NO!

Appropriately 25% of Mexicans claim 'indigenous' when they fill out their census paperwork.

Which leaves 75% that are not.. are they not white? Plus the 25% are most likely wrong, as the Spanish had a very bad tradition of wiping out indigenous populations, especially in Mexico.

I actually live around mostly Mexican Americans. They don't agree with you, sorry Pete.

Show me where the hell "Latino" is an official race. It is a language group, just like Arabs, nothing more nothing less. I understand you live in a very racist part of the world, where everything is defined by what skin colour you have, but that does not change the fact that most Latinos trace their roots back to Spain or Portugal and not native Americans...

DNA tests can determine race. Why don't we let Mexicans take a DNA test and call themselves what they want, since they're certain more Native American than you or I?

And in most cases those tests will show a majority "Caucasian". That is not denying in any way those that believe that they have native blood in them or those that are really mostly native American. The fact is that most people are not "pure" of any race. The fact is also that Latino is a language subset and not a race and that most in the Latino subset are in fact white.

Yes just as in the US there are natives as well.. so freaking what? Have I called them white? NO!

You sought to label mestizos as 'white', even though they themselves object to your choosing their race for them. The US Census board is considering adding Hispanic to the list of race options in 2020, because Latinos are increasingly reluctant to identify as white.

Which leaves 75% that are not.. are they not white? Plus the 25% are most likely wrong, as the Spanish had a very bad tradition of wiping out indigenous populations, especially in Mexico.

Native tribes also had a bad tradition of wiping out other native tribes. The world was exceedingly violent in those days.

28% of Mexico's population is indigenous.
21% is labeled as European.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Mexico

Show me where the hell "Latino" is an official race. It is a language group, just like Arabs, nothing more nothing less. I understand you live in a very racist part of the world, where everything is defined by what skin colour you have, but that does not change the fact that most Latinos trace their roots back to Spain or Portugal and not native Americans...

What??? I live in a racist part of the world? Denmark is 90% white. California is 46% white. I think you're confused again.

You have the luxury of being in the majority where you live. If you ever traded places with me, your ideas about things would likely change.

And in most cases those tests will show a majority "Caucasian". That is not denying in any way those that believe that they have native blood in them or those that are really mostly native American. The fact is that most people are not "pure" of any race. The fact is also that Latino is a language subset and not a race and that most in the Latino subset are in fact white.

They are not white, and soon the government will recognize that fact.

I wonder, what this unique identity is.

I thought "French identity" was liberté, égalité, fraternité?

You know, everybody is created equal and enjoys the same rights, regardless of origin, ethnicity, sex or looks? Freedom of religion ...?

Or is there another kind of "French identity"?

If France wouldn't have colonized Muslim areas it wouldn't have a problem with Muslim immigration.

France is reaping what it sowed right now.

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

:lol:

And you wouldn't be able to get a decent Lebanese meal in Paris. ;)

I thought "French identity" was liberté, égalité, fraternité?

You know, everybody is created equal and enjoys the same rights, regardless of origin, ethnicity, sex or looks? Freedom of religion ...?

Or is there another kind of "French identity"?

I have actually encountered small pockets of in Paris that still hold on to those postulates.

I have actually encountered small pockets of in Paris that still hold on to those postulates.

This whole "identity" talk and rise of right-wing parties would actually scare me much less, if someone could convince me that these people do not want to do away with 300 years of enlightened liberalism, in order to replace it with a system where different laws and rights apply to people of different ethnicity.

It's really just this aspect that scares me. "Identity" is a very subjective thing. What is it? Meeting a guy with a beret, a bottle of wine and baguette under his arm when you drive down the way to your workplace on your bicycle? Having to deal with blue eyed Jacques, rather than brown-skinned Ali at your workplace?

Because I'm afraid if it's the latter, this identity is an illusion, it never really existed in the first place.

Islamism certainly is a threat, and islamists are certainly enemies of enlightened liberalism, agreed. But I would be much less scared by the anti-Islam people, if I didn't have the impression that in their talk of "identity", a lot of very ugly sentiments were hiding, fear and rejection of the alien per se, ethnic chauvinism or just small-minded ignorance.

It's very hard to seperate these ignorant resentments from good, valid arguments. In the case of the newly emerging right-wing, it's a next to impossible task. Or is it?

If the new right-wing asks me to sacrifice enlightened liberalism for the sake of defeating Muslim authoritarianism, I'd say the price is too high.

Actually "Latino" in an ethnonym or possibly a demonym depending on use. ;)

If the new right-wing asks me to sacrifice enlightened liberalism for the sake of defeating Muslim authoritarianism, I'd say the price is too high.

You're going to lose your enlightened liberalism permanently if Muslims come to dominate you in your own country. The birth rate of native Germans is very low compared with that of your new Muslim arrivals.

Turning to a sensible immigration plan now may keep you from tragedy later. More tragedy will only increase the popularity of the new right movement. So a brief turn to the right now may save a more drastic turn later, such as occurred in 1933.

Back
Top Bottom