• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Allow members to stay out of the Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have maintained for quite a while now that the Basement - besides a place to let off steam - is also used as a control mechanism to attack and try to intimidate posters whose opinions upstairs are not welcome with some folks. And that is NOT a part of debate. In fact, its purpose is to deny debate and destroy debate.

When I see a new thread attacking some member, before I even read it I ask myself who in a gun thread did they offend and what did they say about guns? I suspect that there might be another area or two which follows the same dynamic.

I am repeatedly told - as are others - that if I do not like the Basement - stay the hell out of it.

And I would very much like to do that. I would very much like to take and follow that advice.

There are two ways one gets into the Basement:
1- they go in voluntarily and participate.
2- Other posters put them in the Basement starting threads about them or including them in basement threads.

I can control the first.
I cannot control the second.

And unless I can control the second, I cannot take the advice of folks here and stay out of the basement. Anybody here can put anybody else in the basement any time they desire.

I would propose the following change: the Basement should be a closed club open only to those who voluntarily join and have their names listed as willing members. If you want to start a thread about somebody or use them in thread, they would have had to given their consent by becoming Basement members. And a list would be right there to check upon.

Any thread started about somebody NOT a Basement member would be removed and possible infractions and points awarded if necessary.

Only if this procedure is adopted would I or any other member be able to take the advice often given to stay out of the basement if we do not like it.

And I don’t think what I am asking is technically impossible or especially difficult.

The only objection I can see to it is from those who want to continue to use the basement as a method of harassment and intimidation. And neither of those is suppose to be a component of debate in the first place.

Just because you are quoted in the basement does not mean you have to participate in that basement thread. You may see the notice of the quote, but it is ultimately up to you and you alone to respond in that basement thread or ignore it.

Why does there need to be anything else?

I have maintained for quite a while now that the Basement - besides a place to let off steam - is also used as a control mechanism to attack and try to intimidate posters whose opinions upstairs are not welcome with some folks. And that is NOT a part of debate. In fact, its purpose is to deny debate and destroy debate.

When I see a new thread attacking some member, before I even read it I ask myself who in a gun thread did they offend and what did they say about guns? I suspect that there might be another area or two which follows the same dynamic.

I am repeatedly told - as are others - that if I do not like the Basement - stay the hell out of it.

And I would very much like to do that. I would very much like to take and follow that advice.

2- Other posters put them in the Basement starting threads about them or including them in basement threads.

I can control the first.

And unless I can control the second, I cannot take the advice of folks here and stay out of the basement. Anybody here can put anybody else in the basement any time they desire.

I would propose the following change: the Basement should be a closed club open only to those who voluntarily join and have their names listed as willing members. If you want to start a thread about somebody or use them in thread, they would have had to given their consent by becoming Basement members. And a list would be right there to check upon.

Any thread started about somebody NOT a Basement member would be removed and possible infractions and points awarded if necessary.

Only if this procedure is adopted would I or any other member be able to take the advice often given to stay out of the basement if we do not like it.

And I don’t think what I am asking is technically impossible or especially difficult.

The only objection I can see to it is from those who want to continue to use the basement as a method of harassment and intimidation. And neither of those is suppose to be a component of debate in the first place.

No one "puts" anyone anywhere. If you follow a link where someone quotes you, you put yourself there. If you find, after clicking a quoted link, that you are in an area of the forum you don't want to be, then hit the "back" button on your browser, or click another link to go to another page.

If you do not have the self control to not read a post once you find out both where it is located and from whom it was posted, then please do not ask that the rest of us be required to undergo some sort of forced censorship.

Three things: 1) put the poster on ignore (we all presume you're talking about the river rock with legs, a tail, and a head), 2) if you see that person has quoted you - and here's the tricky part - do not click the link, and 3) if the first two steps fail you, then do not read the post once it's on your screen.

Just because you are quoted in the basement does not mean you have to participate in that basement thread. You may see the notice of the quote, but it is ultimately up to you and you alone to respond in that basement thread or ignore it.

Why does there need to be anything else?

The practical result is that the attack continues regardless. And the message is sent and delivered and people are intimidated and the true cause of open debate is not served.

I have been told by no small number of people here that arguing about certain things like guns against certain people who retaliate in the basement is simply "not worth it". Its a huge pile of crap they simply do not want to swim in. And why should we tolerate that control mechanism which is designed to intimidate open debate?

No one "puts" anyone anywhere.

Actually they do. I or anyone else can place you in the basement right now by simply starting a thread about you and you are now in the basement regardless if you want to be or not.

I can control the first.

Nobody is forcing you to respond to anyone else. That's your choice and yours alone.

Nobody is forcing you to respond to anyone else. That's your choice and yours alone.

Which ignores the other half of the way a person gets in the basement.

Moderator's Warning:
Closing, as the OP decided to try and reference actual issues occurring in the basement and attempt (poorly) covert baiting attacks on other members.

I can control the first.

Nobody can put me in the basement - I've been banned from there.

If you dont like being called out from down below... then be nice and honest in the rooms above. :2razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom