• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alligator Drags 2 yo into Water Near Disney

Ntharotep

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Alligator Attacks Child - Disney Beaches Closed

Not a good week to be in Orlando it seems. This is a sad tragedy though the toddler is still being searched for.
The only exception I have to this is that the father "dove into the water to save his son". When my little one was 2, she was never in the water by herself. I am curious as to whether or not there were adults already in the lagoon with the child (maybe other adults were stunned and the Dad being Dad jumped in where others couldn't do anything). This isn't a blame game by any means, I am sure nobody can beat up a parent who loses a child more than the parent, themselves.
Maybe a lessons learned to other parents. Never leave your child to far from you, especially in a state known for its giant reptile population.

I hope the parents get some closure in this before it is all said and done, better some kind of miracle and the toddler is still alive.

A sad week for Orlando all around :(

As a parent, I don't know how/if you ever recover from that kind of loss.. That goes in the category of a child drowning in the family pool.. How do you ever recover, or face family again.. Indeed a tragedy, I bet it happened so fast that dad barely had a hand on the reptile. I have seen to many nature show of huge croc's grabbing a antelope( or whatever ) and dragging it under water. I just hope they find the kid for some kind of closure( if any)

djl

Not a good week to be in Orlando it seems. This is a sad tragedy though the toddler is still being searched for.
The only exception I have to this is that the father "dove into the water to save his son". When my little one was 2, she was never in the water by herself. I am curious as to whether or not there were adults already in the lagoon with the child (maybe other adults were stunned and the Dad being Dad jumped in where others couldn't do anything). This isn't a blame game by any means, I am sure nobody can beat up a parent who loses a child more than the parent, themselves.
Maybe a lessons learned to other parents. Never leave your child to far from you, especially in a state known for its giant reptile population.

I hope the parents get some closure in this before it is all said and done, better some kind of miracle and the toddler is still alive.

That is tragic!

As a parent, I don't know how/if you ever recover from that kind of loss.. That goes in the category of a child drowning in the family pool.. How do you ever recover, or face family again.. Indeed a tragedy, I bet it happened so fast that dad barely had a hand on the reptile. I have seen to many nature show of huge croc's grabbing a antelope( or whatever ) and dragging it under water. I just hope they find the kid for some kind of closure( if any)
djl
Yeah. I think crocodiles are more powerful than gators but gators are faster (if I remember that correctly I could be wrong). Neither are a joke and I can't even imagine the horror of one of these giant beasts grabbing my child. Its horrible and tragic. Thinking about it more, they likely didn't even see the gator on the surface. It might have gotten the child from underneath.

Scary stuff I hope nobody ever has to face again.

I am curious as to whether or not there were adults already in the lagoon with the child (maybe other adults were stunned and the Dad being Dad jumped in where others couldn't do anything).

From the story

The child was on the edge of the lagoon when the alligator dragged him into the water

Doesn't sound to me like the kid was in the water, but near it. The alligator likely did what alligators always do, which is sneak up while hidden under water and then quickly reached out, grabbed the kid, and then immediately pulled the kid into the water. This happens with pets more often than one might think.

The parents didn't do anything wrong. They had zero reason to believe where they were was dangerous. And I don't care how close they were to the kid, you aren't likely going to be faster than an alligator that has the element of surprise and is one of the most stealthy creatures on the planet. It sneaks up on animals that have much better senses and reflexes than us.

This really is just a horribly tragic accident. I guess "accident" is the right word. Obviously the alligator did it on purpose but, well, you know what I mean.

Still, I have zero doubt that the parents will blame themselves for some time to come. I know if was the father I would have jumped in immediately as well. And when my attempt to save my kid failed I wouldn't forgive myself. It may not be rational, but it is the human reaction.

Yeah. I think crocodiles are more powerful than gators but gators are faster (if I remember that correctly I could be wrong). Neither are a joke and I can't even imagine the horror of one of these giant beasts grabbing my child. Its horrible and tragic. Thinking about it more, they likely didn't even see the gator on the surface. It might have gotten the child from underneath.

Scary stuff I hope nobody ever has to face again.

The lagoon is off limits to swimming, but is available for motor boat activities.
The Lagoon is also attached to a natural lake which has gators in it for sure.

I am sure they swim towards the lagoon as Disney only removes them if they are sited near crowded area's.

the parents were watching the activities and the 2 year old was in about a foot of water playing I guess.
gators are active night hunters when it is cool and prey isn't paying attention.

gators like croc's are ambush predators they will just jump out of the water at you and depending on size they can hide in as much as 1 foot of water.
so at night in the dark no way they could have seen it coming in.

the real issue is that people feed the gators or throw food in the water. that will keep gators in the area.

so horrible. Can't imagine what the parents are feeling right now.

Unfortunately, this was entirely preventable.

Witnesses said the family was on the beach, and the boy's sister was in a playpen about 20 to 30 yards from the water, according to Demings. The toddler was nearby, wading in the water.
There are "No Swimming" signs at the lagoon, and no one else was in the water at the time of the attack besides the child, Demings said.

Look, I really feel for the parents but seriously? Anyone that goes anywhere near open water in Florida is just stupid. They should have warning signs everywhere just like in Mexico "Don't drink the water".. In Florida, don't go near water that is not clearly marked as safe..

My God, how horrible..

Tim-

The lagoon is off limits to swimming, but is available for motor boat activities.
The Lagoon is also attached to a natural lake which has gators in it for sure.

I am sure they swim towards the lagoon as Disney only removes them if they are sited near crowded area's.

the parents were watching the activities and the 2 year old was in about a foot of water playing I guess.
gators are active night hunters when it is cool and prey isn't paying attention.

gators like croc's are ambush predators they will just jump out of the water at you and depending on size they can hide in as much as 1 foot of water.
so at night in the dark no way they could have seen it coming in.

the real issue is that people feed the gators or throw food in the water. that will keep gators in the area.
A big problem. Tourists especially tend not to understand the dangers of feeding these animals and getting them used to human contact.
And you are right this was not a fault of the parents, just a horrible tragedy. Gators are fast, stealthy predators for being such large reptiles.

From the story
Doesn't sound to me like the kid was in the water, but near it. The alligator likely did what alligators always do, which is sneak up while hidden under water and then quickly reached out, grabbed the kid, and then immediately pulled the kid into the water. This happens with pets more often than one might think.
The parents didn't do anything wrong. They had zero reason to believe where they were was dangerous. And I don't care how close they were to the kid, you aren't likely going to be faster than an alligator that has the element of surprise and is one of the most stealthy creatures on the planet. It sneaks up on animals that have much better senses and reflexes than us.
This really is just a horribly tragic accident. I guess "accident" is the right word. Obviously the alligator did it on purpose but, well, you know what I mean.
Still, I have zero doubt that the parents will blame themselves for some time to come. I know if was the father I would have jumped in immediately as well. And when my attempt to save my kid failed I wouldn't forgive myself. It may not be rational, but it is the human reaction.
Exactly true. You can never forgive yourself for the loss of a child right down to "I should have picked a different vacation spot. I should have stayed at a different place" etc. It isn't logical but it is how parents think. How people think really.
Gators are gators. They don't choose victims but only food. This was very much a tragic accident.

so horrible. Can't imagine what the parents are feeling right now.

Unfortunately, this was entirely preventable.

The signs really should have been more explicit as to why swimming wasn't allowed. Huge difference between a "No Swimming" sign and this at a resort a few miles away:

0615-no-swimming-gators-sign-disney-hyatt-graham-regency-6.jpg

Disney Attack -- Neighboring Resort Warned of Alligators (PHOTOS) | TMZ.com

Look, I really feel for the parents but seriously? Anyone that goes anywhere near open water in Florida is just stupid. They should have warning signs everywhere just like in Mexico "Don't drink the water".. In Florida, don't go near water that is not clearly marked as safe..

My God, how horrible..

Tim-

People, especially not from the area, really don't understand the danger sometimes. That being said they should have had explicit signs as to why swimming wasn't allowed. I don't know any parent that would let a toddler anywhere near a lake with gators in it.

A week or so ago a 23yo young man decided not to heed the warning signs in Yellowstone and went off the path a couple of hundred yards into a geyser basin. Slipped into a mud pot that was over 200 degrees they haven't and probably will never find him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-power-of-yellowstones-colorful-hot-springs/

The signs really should have been more explicit as to why swimming wasn't allowed. Huge difference between a "No Swimming" sign and this at a resort a few miles away:

no swimming is pretty clear do not go in the water.
unless we as a society have really become that stupid.

we shouldn't have to list every single reason why you can't swim no swimming should be self explanatory.
that is beside the point.

I feel really bad for these parents.

we shouldn't have to list every single reason why you can't swim no swimming should be self explanatory.
that is beside the point.

I feel really bad for these parents.

No they need to be explicit as to the dangers, if there are alligators you wouldn't want a toddler anywhere near the shore let alone swimming.

Last edited:
I have canoed in more than few bayous and am familiar with the dawn / dusk feeding habits of normally shy alligators (attacked happened at dusk), that they love taking small prey from the shore and that shallow water in developed areas can still have a big gator.

People from Nebraska might not know these things. Then factor in that Disney made an artificial beach, and set out sun chairs around the pond. Yet... they never thought to add "Danger- Alligators" signage to that pond?

Last edited:
Yeah, but I suppose Disney can't have signs that scare parents and / or children. But still, it was posted to not swim. Perhaps is also needs to say 'Don't wade' or 'Don't Approach the Water' as well?

I'm sure the upcoming lawsuit will sort it out. I'm sure the omission about alligators was intentional so as to not scare people. It would appear they chose not to be explicit for financial reasons, well this is the result. Sometimes people need to be scared to understand the danger.

I have canoed in more than few bayous and am familiar with the dawn / dusk feeding habits of normally shy alligators (attacked happened at dusk), that they love taking small prey from the shore and that shallow water in developed areas can still have a big gator.

People from Nebraska might not know these things. Then factor in that Disney made an artificial beach, and set out sun chairs around the pond. Yet... they never thought to add "Danger- Alligators" signage to that pond?

Coming from Montana, I'd have absolutely no clue that there might be alligators at a Disney park unless they told me. Then it would be no damn way I'm letting my kids get anywhere near the water.

Coming from Montana, I'd have absolutely no clue that there might be alligators at a Disney park unless they told me. Then it would be no damn way I'm letting my kids get anywhere near the water.

I could completely understand your lack of knowledge about a purely local danger.

As a side note, the dangers posed by alligators are heavily dependent on time of day, mating season and winter verse warmer months. I have seen pre teen cajun and creole kids routinely fishing, crabbing, or crawfishing, around alligator waters. They, however, know when to do it (not at night, dawn or dusk), not to make yourself look smaller than you are by sitting down etc. (alligators like small prey), not to chum the water etc.

0615-no-swimming-gators-sign-disney-hyatt-graham-regency-6.jpg

Disney Attack -- Neighboring Resort Warned of Alligators (PHOTOS) | TMZ.com

Fair enough to.
When I gave safety training, though, "back in the day" I used to have to tell employees that they may need to think for the tourists because when people go on vacation (any of us) we get into this euphoric high and as we walk out the front door, our brains fall out of the back of our heads and stay on the floor at home until we come home.
The "vacation brain" is quite capable of doing stupid things. And with just a "no swimming" sign, the parents might have thought that less than a foot of water was safe.

Being from Nebraska myself I sure don't. I am not at all familiar with actual Gators and probably wouldn't fully understand the risk either. Such a tragedy.

Fair enough to.
When I gave safety training, though, "back in the day" I used to have to tell employees that they may need to think for the tourists because when people go on vacation (any of us) we get into this euphoric high and as we walk out the front door, our brains fall out of the back of our heads and stay on the floor at home until we come home.
The "vacation brain" is quite capable of doing stupid things. And with just a "no swimming" sign, the parents might have thought that less than a foot of water was safe.
I can see where someone would interpret "swimming" literally, and presume that wading a foot within shore is ok.

Having stayed in the neighboring resort to the Grand Floridian a little while ago I can only shake my head. That area is full of signs telling people to stay out of the water.

Being from Nebraska myself I sure don't. I am not at all familiar with actual Gators and probably wouldn't fully understand the risk either. Such a tragedy.
The only things I know about gators and crocs is what I've seen on nature documentaries, which is a basic knowledge, but certainly not in depth.

I know they're mean, I know they're fast, I know they're sneaky, but that's all generic stuff. I don't know their specific feeding habits, and so on.

The only things I know about gators and crocs is what I've seen on nature documentaries, which is a basic knowledge, but certainly not in depth.

I know they're mean, I know they're fast, I know they're sneaky, but that's all generic stuff. I don't know their specific feeding habits, and so on.

I have to admit, I'm don't know to much about gators and crocs. Of course I've seen videos and watch survivor type shows where they're always on the lookout for them but like you I'm not familiar with habits and stuff. I probably should learn more but again being from Nebraska, it's not something I really think about.

Back
Top Bottom