• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alligator Drags 2 yo into Water Near Disney

From what I've read, this is only the second time in WDW's 45-year history that a guest has been attacked by a gator (and the first fatality).

The last time it occurred it was at the Fort Wilderness resort 30 years ago.

Although this is a tragedy, with that kind of alligator attack safety record you've kind to go to figure that WDW is doing something right given their millions of visitors a year in the heart of alligator country.

There's only so much anyone can do.

The lakes and swamps of Florida are the alligators' natural habitat.

At the end of the day we're just visitors there.

I suspect that regardless this will cost Disney's insurance company many millions (or maybe Disney, not sure if they self insure or not).

From what I've read, this is only the second time in WDW's 45-year history that a guest has been attacked by a gator (and the first fatality).

Although this is a tragedy, with that kind of alligator attack safety record you've kind to go to figure that WDW is doing something right given their millions of visitors a year in the heart of alligator country.

If people who live in Florida are so aware of gator behavior.....then why would Disney hold an outdoor theater event at night and right next to the water where it has signs posted: "beware of alligators"?

Last edited:
We had a buffalo charge our car as we were driving along the main road in Yellowstone. It just barreled right out the trees and came straight at us and stopped short right at the passenger window. It was wild!!!!

Another beast that needs to be culled.

Another beast that needs to be culled.

The car in front of us was red. So I think it was that car it was charging...but by time it got to the road it was our car that it almost hit.

Yellowstone just has too many people going through it now. But it's amazing how well they manage it, considering.

No matter if they were stupid or not, for the rest of their lives these parents will never, ever forgive themselves and will never recover from this horrific situation.

That poor child.

The car in front of us was red. So I think it was that car it was charging...but by time it got to the road it was our car that it almost hit.

Yellowstone just has too many people going through it now. But it's amazing how well they manage it, considering.

On a shoestring budget, but at some point we need to either shut them down or put enough money into them to do it right. It is stunning the refusal of DC to reasonably capitalize this arm of the national government, one of the few that people actually like. Last three years at least have been record usage of the national parks.

No matter if they were stupid or not, for the rest of their lives these parents will never, ever forgive themselves and will never recover from this horrific situation.

That poor child.

Is the kid still missing?

There is only so much a person or corporation can do. And when you live/work in an area with wild animals sometimes stuff is going to happen at times. Society's expectations of perfect safety are unreasonable.

I suspect that regardless this will cost Disney's insurance company many millions (or maybe Disney, not sure if they self insure or not).
Regardless fault or not, death has a price.. Pretty much always in stuff like this.

Look, I really feel for the parents but seriously? Anyone that goes anywhere near open water in Florida is just stupid. They should have warning signs everywhere just like in Mexico "Don't drink the water".. In Florida, don't go near water that is not clearly marked as safe..

My God, how horrible..

Tim-

Alligator attacks like this are very rare. I can understand from my own experiences why someone wouldn't observe more caution.

They are a multi-billion dollar company, several million dollars is nothing to them.

They are a multi-billion dollar company, several million dollars is nothing to them.

Super, then let them pay their theme park workers decent wages.

Just a thought.

That's an unpleasant way to go too. So sad.

It's heart breaking.

His breathing was so accelerated that he drowned almost instantly.

Hopefully he wasn't afraid for very long.

Last edited:
His family is relieved that his body was found "intact."

I would like to know exactly this:

How close was dad to the toddler at the time,, A 2 year old should NOT be let go of at the edge of the lake.. I have a 2 year old grandson, he would be holding my hand at all times. Not placing blame but I keep hearing a lot of different facts.
I wonder , even had the sign read, "No Swimming, Alligators" would the family stayed out of the water, Hell, for some folks ( with a few beers in them) that's an invitation to go swimming....

It's stated that there was a lifeguard somewhere further down the beach, but was too far to do anything, is the whole lake No Swimming? Was there a swimming area further down the beach? hence the lifeguard..

It is indeed a very tragic thing, I don't know how I would recover if I was a parent/grand parent and had that happen, This is one case that even if Disney pays a ton of money, those wounds won't heal...

djl

It's heart breaking.

His breathing was so accelerated that he drowned almost instantly.

Hopefully he wasn't afraid for very long.

Your last thought there really drives it home. I don't want to think about it too hard, but can you imagine that little boy's terror? Dear God.

The body was found near where he was dragged into the water. This is typical alligator behavior. When they find an opportunity they take it, drag their prey under water until it stops struggling. Then they "hide it" in a place they can come back later when it is time to feed.

From what I read both parents attempted to intervene to no avail. This gator seems to have had no fear of humans, which typically happens when humans feed them.

Alligator attacks like this are very rare. I can understand from my own experiences why someone wouldn't observe more caution.

Who would? One doesn't take a "Disney get away" vacation to think about having to BOLO for alligators.

Back
Top Bottom