• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alligator Drags 2 yo into Water Near Disney

Jasper L......I rest my case.

I looked up the allegation and it appears true: Gator Attack: Disney Knew of Problems, Staffer Asked for Fence at Lagoon (Exclusive)

If the rest of the article is true, that they have guests right near there routinely feeding the gators and Disney is doing nothing about it, even after their own employees issued repeated warnings, then maybe a fence is needed. Certainly allowing for gators to be fed and therefore conditioned to associate humans with food, and not even putting up the most basic warning signs, is incredibly and shockingly negligent. Heck, in the Smokies, as soon as bears become accustomed to being fed, and then start hanging around campgrounds looking for more food, if the bears are lucky, they're trapped and relocated and if that doesn't work, and it generally does not, routinely killed.

The more I read the more it's clear Disney's legal team better be preparing for a 7 figure payout and hope that is enough.

no swimming means no swimming regardless of why.
maybe I am wrong and society is really just that stupid.

it you are right and gators are shy for the most part but here someone must have fed this gator to get that close to the shore.
again in 45 years this is the first incident.
Spare me. I have seen signs stating 'No Swimming', in areas that also allowed fishing. Fishing can include wading. Then factor in the sun chairs and artificial beach.
you are right and gators are shy for the most part but here someone must have fed this gator to get that close to the shore.
again in 45 years this is the first incident.
Alligators routinely come close to the shore because they live on the shore and in shallow water immediately next to it. Likewise, they commonly hunt by ambushing prey on the shore.

Chances are very good that nobody has fed that alligator. Rather, the attack occured because of perfect conditions: night time (when alligators feed), mating season (when they are more aggressive), very small target by the shore.

Last edited:
Signs really are not the answer... When you hike of to the top of any water falls in Yosemite National Park, The signs says simply: "If you get in this water, You will DIE!!" It does not say "slippery rocks", or "swift Water", They tried all of those,,, even have steel pipe fence along the trail. But yet every summer, someone goes over the railing, past the sign and falls over the falls.

You can put up a fence,, But sometime in the next 40 years some kid will climb over and fall into the water and drown, Then Disney will get sued because the parent could not climb the fence fast enough to save the child.

If you really want to use signs for protection, Be prepared to have a million of them: Beware of Gators, Beware of Snakes, Beware of Spiders, Caution, Sun may cause skin burns,

Maybe they could have one universal sign to cover everything, Such as: "Please don't do anything stupid"

That would maybe have saved the kid from the gator, Maybe the kid from the Gorilla, Maybe a few of those poor kids that have been murdered by those evil cops,,, They may want to capitalize that sign as well..

djl

Signs really are not the answer... When you hike of to the top of any water falls in Yosemite National Park, The signs says simply: "If you get in this water, You will DIE!!" It does not say "slippery rocks", or "swift Water", They tried all of those,,, even have steel pipe fence along the trail. But yet every summer, someone goes over the railing, past the sign and falls over the falls.

At least from what's available online the signs do warn of "powerful, hidden currents" and "slippery rocks" and also that "if you go over the fall, you will die."

So they've decided more information is better than less, which seems blindingly obvious. And the fact that some people ignore signs isn't evidence they don't work. I doubt if anyone would contend signs will be 100% effective, just like no law is 100% effective, parental advice is never 100% effective, etc. What informative signs do provide people is the information with which to make their own informed choices, and sometimes idiots make dumb ones.

In Florida, if after being informed that the lake is full of gators, some parent or drunk fool, decides that swimming is safe, that's their stupid but informed choice. The problem is when people don't have the information to actually make an INFORMED choice. Signs that warn of the specific risks (in this case swimming in a gator infested lake) solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom